Raw Food Question

vern3

Raw Food Question

Post by vern3 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:13 am

I had a couple of deer made into hamburger meat and the guy really screwed it up
so the dogs will get to take advantage of this. My question is I am wanting to give
this to my dogs a little at a time (Like once a week until I run out)
How much should I give each dog?
I have labs and pointers, if that makes any differance
Thanks in advance. Vernon

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Raw Food Question

Post by mcbosco » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 am

how much do you have? is it frozen?

vern3

Post by vern3 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:30 am

It is frozen and I have probably 50 or so one pound bags.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:40 am

how many dogs?

vern3

Post by vern3 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:45 pm

7 dogs total

3 of them are over 9yrs old and the rest are under 4 yrs old

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:34 pm

50lbs of raw food for 9 dogs is not a lot. Once defrosted it keeps for about 3 days. I would defrost several pounds a week and just divide it if you wanna use it as a mixer. Dogs really dont have an issue adjusting to raw meat like they do kibble so you could even just feed more of it faster. Dividing say 3lbs and spreading that over 9 dogs really just amounts to a flavor enhancer.

Mine is good for at least 12 lbs a week of meat and various organs, but mine is over 90lbs.

Some dogs that have never had raw meat dont always eat it the first day, some role in it and some can get aggressive, so just watch them.

Oh next time keep the organs, all of them.

Ada Viz

Post by Ada Viz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Once you go raw you will never go back! There are many benefits I've noticed since starting my dog on it two years ago, including: great health, great teeth, no farts, very small poops that disintegrate quickly, healthy weight, she doesn't drink much water (lower risk of gastric torsion), and she seems to have higher energy in the field. My vizsla was having skin problems and was sickly in general--almost died from kennel cough that got out of control, and was getting buildup on her teeth at less than a year of age. I began researching what the best diet for a dog is because my gut told me that her kibble was causing her health problems. Turns out I was right, and I am sure that the small increase in food cost is more than made up in the lack of vet bills. Your vet won't like that though, and may recommend against it if you bring it up!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Ada Viz wrote:Once you go raw you will never go back! There are many benefits I've noticed since starting my dog on it two years ago, including: great health, great teeth, no farts, very small poops that disintegrate quickly, healthy weight, she doesn't drink much water (lower risk of gastric torsion), and she seems to have higher energy in the field. My vizsla was having skin problems and was sickly in general--almost died from kennel cough that got out of control, and was getting buildup on her teeth at less than a year of age. I began researching what the best diet for a dog is because my gut told me that her kibble was causing her health problems. Turns out I was right, and I am sure that the small increase in food cost is more than made up in the lack of vet bills. Your vet won't like that though, and may recommend against it if you bring it up!
I have never heard a vet recommend feeding a good dry dog food because it would increase their profits. And I doubt if you have either. Vets are professional people who are there for your benefit and hopefully make a living while taking care of your animals when needed. Raw feed is OK if you want to go to the trouble and expense. But if you are feeding it because you think dogs that are being fed a good dry food aren't healthy you are fooling your self. I know many people who feed kibble without any problems and I know a couple who tried raw and went back when they found out just what it amounted to.

Feed what you want but what ever you feed it isn't any healthier than a good well balanced precisionally manufactured dry food.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Ada Viz wrote:Once you go raw you will never go back! There are many benefits I've noticed since starting my dog on it two years ago, including: great health, great teeth, no farts, very small poops that disintegrate quickly, healthy weight, she doesn't drink much water (lower risk of gastric torsion), and she seems to have higher energy in the field. My vizsla was having skin problems and was sickly in general--almost died from kennel cough that got out of control, and was getting buildup on her teeth at less than a year of age. I began researching what the best diet for a dog is because my gut told me that her kibble was causing her health problems. Turns out I was right, and I am sure that the small increase in food cost is more than made up in the lack of vet bills. Your vet won't like that though, and may recommend against it if you bring it up!

Ada Viz, do you feed green tripe?

When I first started with my current Vet about 11 years ago he was almost in shock that my dogs ate raw food especially green tripe. Then his daughter fresh out of Penn came into the clinic and set him straight. He laughs that he doesn't buy Otomax like he used to.