Blood dripping from penis

ShorthairsRule

Blood dripping from penis

Post by ShorthairsRule » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:19 am

Yes, you read it correctly.
Has anyone had this issue or heard of it before?
My 8 1/2 yr old GSP started dripping blood from his penis when my female came in to heat back in November. For several months now it has been an issue. There is no consistency to it, sometimes its dark other times its diluted. It comes and goes. For weeks its gone, then it comes back and can disappear just as quickly as it came.
He has been to the vet more than once for this. His blood work is excellent. His prostate is normal. He seems to be completely unaffected when it happens.

One vet says neutering him will fix it the other vet says she doesn't know if that will work.
Needless to say, the vet bills have been several hundred dollars so far. It is going to cost $650 to neuter him and remove a benign cyst from his chest. Is it really worth the money and stress on the dog for something that may not even work?

Other question is, can benign cysts go away by themselves or only by surgically removing them?

Although the money will put a large dent in my wallet, my concern is, is it worth putting the dog and me through this? He is the most important thing in my life.
Thank you for your time,
Wendy

dog dr

Re: Blood dripping from penis

Post by dog dr » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:11 am

do you take bids?? i can do that job for $125!! I'm serious. unfortunately, the trip fee might come in a little higher than that, though, depending on where you are! :wink:

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:21 am

$650?

Is he at least going to buy you dinner, too? :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

grousewoods

Post by grousewoods » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:16 am

Wendy,
It sounds like your worried about so I would take (dog dr)up on is offer!! I would think the cysts if not getting in the way it would be fine just to leave it alone. If dog dr is to far away I myself would just let the dog be and see if it gets worse. Good luck in what you deside to do.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:51 am

Is it an old dog? I have seen blood in urine a couple of times, it was a UTI. Have you had the dog on any antibiotics?
brenda

ShorthairsRule

Post by ShorthairsRule » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:43 am

Brenda, he has been on a few different antibiotics. It's not a UTI. He is a retired field trial dog and will be 9 this October. His blood work came back and they said he is very healthy (excellent to hear.) She also commented during the exam how strong and healthy is heart sounded.

I am going to wait until the summer is over otherwise when the cyst is removed he won't be able to have fun swimming (which he really really enjoys)

My other dog, Vegas, is also home for the summer and they are having lots of fun together. I wouldn't want to ruin that either.

There hasn't been any blood since June 12th. Like I said, it's very inconsistent.

Thank you all for your input and yes, I agree my Vet is way to expensive but that seems to be how it is over here in Connecticut.

Take care,
Wendy