Running pregnant dogs

zodiakgsps

Running pregnant dogs

Post by zodiakgsps » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:43 pm

Up to what point do you let you're pregnant bitches run & for how long??
I grew up with Danes & Shephards, we basically just let them run around the yard when bred, never really "wprked" them anyway......my first litter of GSPS was a summer litter, we weren't running any dogs much, second was a female I leased, so never ran her.(did rescue for a while & whelped several litters, we didn't run the females though) My current female is 6 weeks along. Just taking her off foot, no quads of course, she went for better than an hour run yesterday with me while I was turkey scouting & she didn't want to be put up(she did find a few woodcock which fired her up). Been running her several times a week right along with no problems.
At what point do you stop working/running them, or do you just cut down the time they are down??
Thanks in advance!!

Kiki's Mom

Re: Running pregnant dogs

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:11 pm

We run trial all the way til they say they want to quit :wink: Trialed Soldier's Mom all the way to day 48 of the pregnancy....didn't get in the placements and picked her up 3/4 of the way around but she was allowed to pick her own pace and we respected her when she wanted to quit. she kept pace as well as she could and had a beautiful honor on a bird she would have normally beat her bracemate to.
Keeping them in shape makes whelping easier and makes recovery after raising the litter easier too. Just allow her to pick her own pace and respect her when she tells you she is tired.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Years back I watched an ES run a NSTRA trial & won it,she whelped pups 2 or 3 days later.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:45 pm

I don't like running them past about 4 wks.
brenda