Least sociable breed?

j-tatro

Least sociable breed?

Post by j-tatro » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:16 pm

Since we all know gsp's make the best family dogs :D I was wondering what everyone thought about the worst, or the ones that can do the best in a kennel without a bunch of play time.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:10 pm

Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy. I have had them all in a kennel and see no difference. Pointers, setters Irish, viszla, labs, Brits, GSPs and they all can live there but they all do better if you spend the time to work with them. All dogs deserve time with their people whether it is work or play.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:13 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy. I have had them all in a kennel and see no difference. Pointers, setters Irish, viszla, labs, Brits, GSPs and they all can live there but they all do better if you spend the time to work with them. All dogs deserve time with their people whether it is work or play.

Ezzy
Absolutely agreed. I've seen posts on another forum talking about "cold emotionless pointers". If true, they are straight kenneled dogs, usually kept with pros their whole lives.

I have a young Pointer out of one of the hottest All-Age bloodlines available. He is a demonstrative playful goof, that loves to be in your lap, and never lets you out of his sight when he's loose in the house.

Now I have seen direct imported German dogs of a couple of breeds that are a little tough on other dogs, but that's the way they want them I guess.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:03 pm

What bloodline is that Devil?

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:29 pm

Miller's Silver Bullett and Whippoorwill's Rebel. I counted the Miller prefix and the Whippoorwill prefix 12 times each in a 5 gen pedigree.

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:00 pm

Devils Creek wrote:
Now I have seen direct imported German dogs of a couple of breeds that are a little tough on other dogs, but that's the way they want them I guess.
What breed are you refering to?

Helen

Post by Helen » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:12 am

that loves to be in your lap, and never lets you out of his sight when he's loose in the house.
lol, ours are like that. If you sit down, there will be a pointer wanting to get on your lap! When outside and working, I've found them to be independant but when inside, they want to be with you.

Helen

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:07 pm

bondoron wrote:
Devils Creek wrote:
What breed are you refering to?
ooops....

I didn't mean they were bred to fight other dogs, but when you breed for a dog that will tackle various fur varieties, go after a wild boar, or have the requirement of killing a cat as part of its testing process, the dogs are a bit more aggressive with other dogs than the average pointer, setter, or brittany.

I guess I've experienced a few GWP's that have been a little on the "chippy" protective side. I've got a couple of good stories. I remember seeing a direct import dog, while being moved to the next field over, loose in the back of a pickup, jump out of the moving truck and land directly on a horse's back, who was peacefully grazing near the road. At least peacefully until an 85 lb GWP landed square on her back. It was quite a sight. Nothing was hurt but feelings fortunately, but the dog's owner was teased for years.

I also bred Vizslas for 30 plus years, raising about 350 pups, mostly from dogs we imported directly from Hungary or 1 generation removed. Lots of dog fights, both males and females. Some real doozies.

Disposition and hunting desire went way up after we bought a couple of stud dogs directly from Hank Rozanek's Rebel Rouser line.

On the other hand, if you want a home protector my pointers are useless.
"Please Mr Burglar, take me hunting, please, please! :wink:

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:38 pm

Devils Creek wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy. I have had them all in a kennel and see no difference. Pointers, setters Irish, viszla, labs, Brits, GSPs and they all can live there but they all do better if you spend the time to work with them. All dogs deserve time with their people whether it is work or play.

Ezzy
Absolutely agreed. I've seen posts on another forum talking about "cold emotionless pointers". If true, they are straight kenneled dogs, usually kept with pros their whole lives.

I have a young Pointer out of one of the hottest All-Age bloodlines available. He is a demonstrative playful goof, that loves to be in your lap, and never lets you out of his sight when he's loose in the house.

Boy if that's not the truth. When I kept kate in the kennel she was a cold hearted girl. Them my GSP Hannah died and Katie moved into the house and she became a lover. She's been gone a long time and Otis is in the house, EP. His a bit aloof but he's my buddy!

Drahtsundbraats

Post by Drahtsundbraats » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:50 pm

I didn't mean they were bred to fight other dogs, but when you breed for a dog that will tackle various fur varieties, go after a wild boar
German's do not want dogs to tackle boar-dogs that close recklessly on wild hogs get killed or maimed. Dogs that are not controllable in the presence of game are useless-just roadkill. Sorry but your absolutely wrong. Drive the hogs, yes-bolt them or even bay them. But not many serious hog hunters in Germany want a dog that's dying to take on the front end of a mature pig. Hogs in Germany are usually in very close dense cover. Dogs that close on hogs in close quarters where they can't maneuver are toast.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:39 pm

Drahtsunbraats,

I'm impressed with the intimate knowledge you have of German hunting of all kinds. Are you from there and do a lot of hunting in Europe?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Drahtsundbraats

Post by Drahtsundbraats » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:59 pm

ezzy,
Sorry, I missed your post-wasn't being rude.

I lived and worked and hunted in Europe for years. I also go back 1-2/yr
for driven hunts on big game. The owner of my favorite DD stud dog in Europe is addicted to hog hunting and has used his dogs for 30 years for these hunts. Hogs in Europe are never far from civilization-and they retreat to the heaviest cover they can find. They can be hunted almost year round and learn the ropes as far as dogs chasing them to the gun. They don't like to leave that cover and dogs that charge in often don't fare very well in close quarters. The best dog for this is probably the little German Jagdterrier but we've passed the hat to pay for the vet bills a few times. JT's think they are 120lbs instead of 25!!!

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:06 am

Drahtsundbraats wrote:
I didn't mean they were bred to fight other dogs, but when you breed for a dog that will tackle various fur varieties, go after a wild boar
German's do not want dogs to tackle boar-dogs that close recklessly on wild hogs get killed or maimed. Dogs that are not controllable in the presence of game are useless-just roadkill. Sorry but your absolutely wrong. Drive the hogs, yes-bolt them or even bay them. But not many serious hog hunters in Germany want a dog that's dying to take on the front end of a mature pig. Hogs in Germany are usually in very close dense cover. Dogs that close on hogs in close quarters where they can't maneuver are toast.
My experience with hogs is nil, though we have other nasties around here. But you misunderstood me. I wouldn't expect any bird dog to fight a boar, bear, or any other dangerous game.

My son and I have had a couple of Catahoula leopard dogs, and baying large dangerous game is their specialty. Guys that do this seriously have pit bulls or American bulldogs for the real dirty work, but I know for a fact that a bay dog will take a bite now and again, cause I've seen it on bears.

I'm not saying a DK, DD, or GWP is the same thing as a Catahoula, Black Mouth Cur, or Plott Hound, but I'd bet that given the right circumstances they'll all bite, especially on a retreating animal. Something a setter, Pointer, or Britt is very unlikely to do.

grousehunter08

Post by grousehunter08 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Hands down weims you can't walk past a weim with out it going nuts