Pheasants for green-broke dogs?

Should a green-broke pointing dog be taking on early season wild pheasant hunt?

Good idea
58%
Bad idea
26%
Other
16%

Total votes: 19

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Pheasants for green-broke dogs?

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:58 am

Okay let's assume you want an ultra-steady pointing dog who will hunt both wild and pen raised birds in their life. Steady until you SEND them for a retrieve. You have done the training or had the dog trained and they are green-broke. For this poll I will define green-broke as holding birds that walk in training dragging CC, stopping to flush in training dragging a CC, steady until release dragging a CC. All while wearing e-collar with minimal but some corrections as needed. Should your first (or one of first) "real" hunt be a pheasant hunt on early season wild pheasants?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Pheasants for green-broke dogs?

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:46 pm

Nobody even wants to vote? Come on. Live a little! :lol:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon May 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Depend's on what your calling a green broke dog! Pretty sure of one thing, if your dog is pointing training bird's well, pheasant's will keep it honest.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Kjcpoint

Post by Kjcpoint » Mon May 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Take them to the birds.

In a month I will be on my 4th "started pointer," change there names and let it get use to its new surroundings for a week.
Then is right to wild pheasants. Early mornings when the birds are on the road, drop the dog out down wind and let them go. After a couple weeks of that and getting in shape take them to bigger ground and cut em loose. Fortunate to have access and the number of birds. Dogs are 10-11 months old. First season is fun as it's all about finding birds, dogs are tough and can hunt hard. Just the way I do it, we shoot lots of birds over fine dogs.

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Wed May 31, 2017 2:15 am

Depends on what you want todo with your dog. Pheasants kinda suck at keeping a dog steady but a green broke dog has enough Wild in it todo well on pheasants who like to run on ya.
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed May 31, 2017 5:58 am

Take 'em. The more wild bird contacts they have the faster they learn. If they are not preforming to your standards you can work on that in the off season.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5