How many times a month do you compete on average?

How many times a month do you compete on average? Any event, hunt tests, dog trials, shows, etc....

1 - 3
63%
4 - 7
27%
8 - 11
7%
11 or more
3%

Total votes: 30

grant
GDF Junkie

How many times a month do you compete on average?

Post by grant » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:14 pm

How many times a month do you compete on average? Any event, hunt tests, dog trials, shows, etc....

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:15 pm

I'm guessing I'll do 1 - 3 due to cost...

sdgord

trials

Post by sdgord » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:47 pm

I added the trials that my dog runs with a handler, I get to pay those entry fees too. It is more cost effective to have a pro run your dog but not as much fun.SDGORD

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:10 am

This season an last we where gone 3 out of 4 week ends a month.thats with my wirehair and labs.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:25 pm

If you are counting field trials - only 4 or so - but if you are talking events/stakes - much more IE tomorrow I will be running 1 Open AA dog and 2 Open Derbies

rosiesdad

Post by rosiesdad » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:23 pm

Dont compete for anything, except first rights to the best hunting spots.
Only two seasons, bird season and getting ready for bird season

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:09 pm

Varies alot depending on the month. Don't see how you could get up in that 8 or more per month range. Most events are a weekend or a week long event. Only so much time in a month.

In any event, with field trials, there is a limit to how many times a month one should run the dog, for the dog's health, and to keep the dog fresh.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Well, I usually enter several different stakes

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Tue May 16, 2006 9:43 am

IE - Last trial I attended I ran 7 dogs in 4 different stakes.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 16, 2006 1:21 pm

I would have to say our trialing averages out from 4-7 per month but many of our trials are 2 trials in a day ...for me I can times that by 3 as I run 3 dogs x 2 a day this month we are doing 12 braces per dog then for regular trials won't trial again till july 4 braces per dog

i would love to do more but with the gas prices it looks like we may have to curtail our trial ventures quite a bit

new joke on consumers is ethanol is causing the fuel prices being so high....
it is total BS the prices of gas and specially diesel....bigwigs like the money they are hording and if we do not get the prices down to what they should be the economy is going to suffer the impact
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

types of trials

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun May 21, 2006 8:42 pm

What kind of trials are you all running. I would love to do more but it is limited up here in Maine. There are about 4 trials a year, up here where no birds are shot, so no retrieves. They are American field events. I think.

I do run in NSTRA a couple time a month in the winter and have had some sucess. You should have heard the behind the back stuff when I walked my NAVHDA VC, AKC MH, dogs off lead to the break away. LOL. Funny how dog folks feel about different Clubs or trials and tests. They now respect my dogs and have always been a great help in learning the game. 1st, 2nd, and two thirds and a bunch of 4ths and 5ths with my GSP Mercy. I shot her out of two more first places all the way down to forth in each. I now shoot better. Buster, My French brittany which I have only run maybe 6 trials has a first and one 4th and two 5ths.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun May 21, 2006 8:54 pm

Hey Rick, sounds like you are doing super.Where do you compete? I know it is limited up your way.
brenda

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

On the road again

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon May 22, 2006 5:59 pm

Hi there Brenda:

To do the NSTRA trials: The closest is in Ontario which is 8 hours, The next is Va and then NC. I haven't gone completely insane yet but feel like I am headed that way.

The American field trials here in Maine, NH and Rode Island, I just found out about. I don't know if my dogs could handle not retrieving, since that has always been the icing on the cake for them.

The NAVHDA events are here in Maine, The AKC MH stuff I have to travel about 3 hours to the closest then 6 for the next in Conn. and The Cape MA.

Almost makes a guy want to move down South somewhere in the middle of it all.

Thanks for the props, It is good having folks understand the time and work that helps these dogs achieve their tasks you put them to.

Rick

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Just noticed

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon May 22, 2006 6:06 pm

Hey Brenda:

By and by that is a fine looking shorthair. Are you competeing as well?

Rick