How does everyone connect to the Internet?

DSL
34%
Dial-up
11%
Cable Modem
43%
Satellite
4%
Don't Know
1%
Other Fast Connection
6%

Total votes: 90

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:43 pm

tfbirddog2

internet acccess?

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:01 pm

Grant, is this about the live chat I would love for it to take off but noone is ever on.

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:21 pm

I have dial-up currently but will have DSL in less than 1 month due to the contractors getting the lines put in.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:35 pm

I have dial-up...it's hard to get it out here in the country. Although the phone company said that it would be here within the month...that was in MARCH! :( I'm still patiently waiting. By the time we get it out here, there will be something newer and faster out and I'll still be in the dark. Technology for ya, huh? :)

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:00 am

I've currently got a cable modem, but my housing complex is getting a dedicated T-1 line for the tenants at half the price. So as soon as that comes in I'll probably switch over.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

OhioOnPoint

Post by OhioOnPoint » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:01 am

Broadband all the way - Cable/DSL!

Ryan

Re: internet acccess?

Post by Ryan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:25 am

tfbirddog2 wrote:Grant, is this about the live chat I would love for it to take off but noone is ever on.
What are you talking abouyt. Every night there are a bunch of people on some regulars include myself, addict, casper, QC, 12, TAK, and Goshawk sorry if i forgot anyone. Chat is used every night dont get rid of it. The ones that use it love it.

O I use cable with a wireless router for my laptop.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:29 am

T1 at the office, dial-up at home, where we cannot get cable, DSL, or anything except maybe satellite. Not worth it just to get on the Internet. Besides, the kid would spend all his time downloading music and, ahem, "other stuff."

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:27 pm

Country-Side Breeders wrote:I have dial-up...it's hard to get it out here in the country. Although the phone company said that it would be here within the month...that was in MARCH! :( I'm still patiently waiting. By the time we get it out here, there will be something newer and faster out and I'll still be in the dark. Technology for ya, huh? :)
Yeah, dial up here too out in the "sticks." They just started offering DSL out here about 2 months ago, but there's no competition so I think it was about $60 a month or something. I'll have to wait till it comes down... at least a little.

As per Chat I can't load the page even. Is it me? Or my slow dial-up?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:31 pm

Its your dial up. Just set the priority of the page to high. It will still take a bit but it will work.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Re: internet acccess?

Post by Ayres » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:33 pm

Ryan wrote:
tfbirddog2 wrote:Grant, is this about the live chat I would love for it to take off but noone is ever on.
What are you talking abouyt. Every night there are a bunch of people on some regulars include myself, addict, casper, QC, 12, TAK, and Goshawk sorry if i forgot anyone. Chat is used every night dont get rid of it. The ones that use it love it.

O I use cable with a wireless router for my laptop.
tfbirddog2's post was originally made in August, 2004. There weren't a lot of people on the chat at that time. Things have changed!

Oh, and I went to DSL for awhile before my apt complex got in the shared T-1. DSL was a downgrade from cable, and the shared T-1 was a downgrade from DSL (even though they said it wouldn't be affected by the number of people online).

So, after we moved, I went back to the cable modem. It's great.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:45 pm

I just seen that before your post :oops:

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:48 pm

T1 at work, dial up at home but soon to be DSL.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:59 pm

ADSL at home.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:17 pm

being on the road alot and out where I live I have Dial up and thank God for earthlink....I have only found one small town where i didn't have a local number to dial up on..out in nowhere land in nebraska every where else.lap top and phone line and :D
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:08 pm

When I'm out on the road, in a pinch I can use my cell phone (or, at least, I used to be able to). I got the FutureDial software and a data cable. It basically turns your cell phone into a modem.

It's slow like dial-up, but there's nothing cooler than checking your emails while riding passenger down the interstate.

I haven't had the need to use it in awhile and I got a new cell phone so I don't know if my new cell is supported or not.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:55 pm

Ayres wrote:When I'm out on the road, in a pinch I can use my cell phone (or, at least, I used to be able to). I got the FutureDial software and a data cable.
Tell me more about this FutureDial software. Where did you get the software? I would like to have something like that when I travel, which seems to be more and more.

I have T1 at school where I teach but i have to suffer with dial-up at home.

Terry
Terry & Kim Singsank
Sweetsong Shorthairs

Sweetsong's Wildfire Greta
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=160

Quailhunter

Post by Quailhunter » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:03 am

I just log on to my laptop and what do you know, my neighbors on each side have wireless. :D :D :D

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:29 am

Quailhunter wrote:I just log on to my laptop and what do you know, my neighbors on each side have wireless. :D :D :D
Most of the time it's unsecure too! Ain't that great? (Although, even if it is secure... well... I won't say any more)

I originally got the FutureDial software from RadioShack when I worked there during undergrad. At the time it was bundled together and called SnapDialer (for connecting to the internet) and SnapNums (the program for syncronizing your contacts with your PC). Now I think they just call it the FutureDial Suite and it does everything.

Check it out here: http://www.futuredial.com/Default.aspx

You'll have to get the software and a USB data cable. I currently have Motorola Mobile Phone Tools working with my cell now and I can't remember if I can use that to make my cell a modem or not. I'll have to figure that out before I go and upgrade (since it seems my SnapDial program won't support my new cell without an upgrade).
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

bphelps56

Post by bphelps56 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:11 pm

Cable modem.

bigbyrd97

Post by bigbyrd97 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:35 pm

Used to be dial up, now a cable modem.

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:58 pm

Cable modem at home, Full T1 at the office.

Mr. JFH

Re: How does everyone connect to the Internet?

Post by Mr. JFH » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:32 pm

iPhone :mrgreen:

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:54 pm

On the run motorola droid / home cable.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Droid incredible 2. I only use a computer at work and using the web is minimal.

fireangel

Post by fireangel » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 am

I voted cable modem, as that is what I have at home, but also connect via T1 line at work.

phoneman45

Post by phoneman45 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:26 pm

okay I had to respond to this one. I spent 11 years in cable tv and broadband via cable modem is an excellent choice. As I now work for the phone co I have DSl. 3 mg DSL works just as well for most applications as 10 mg cable (run a speed test sometime if u have a cable modem you might be surprised) As for the fellow forum member who said he was about to have DSL installed once the contractors put the lines in if u have a landline phone already the lines were already there. In that case they are installing a remote office. That takes a little while and a lot of money, especially if its fiber fed. But once it is there you will be glad it is. AS for sattelite internet I dont have a lot of experience there but what I have heard from customers is not good (expensive, capping your speed after x amount of usage etc..) If you have DSL keep paying your bill, I need to keep my job hee hee.....

eric