Getting two new dogs but can't decide what breeds

Which two breeds have you had the best experiences with hunting and in the home?

Brittany
40%
Llewellin Setter
15%
English Cocker Spaniel
2%
German Shorthaired Pointer
35%
German Wirehaired Pointer
5%
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
4%

Total votes: 55

Showlamb18

Getting two new dogs but can't decide what breeds

Post by Showlamb18 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 pm

I don't know what happened to the other one so I decided to just make a new one because I think I may have deleted the other one.
So I am getting two new dogs, but I can' t decide what breeds I should get. All we have had are retrievers and spaniels, but I would like to get a pointer. I do have a soft spot in my heart for spaniels though. I mainly hunt upland, but I may get into waterfowl too. These are the top breeds that I think would fit better into my family's lifestyle. We also currently have an English Springer.
Thanks in advance,
Dalton

Munster

Re: Getting two new dogs but can't decide what breeds

Post by Munster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:07 am

Small MUnsterlanders. Hard hunters but very calm in the house.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:56 am

I haven't heard a lot about them. Are they good both upland and waterfowl hunting dogs? Do they have good longetivity and how big do they usually get?
Thanks,
Dalton

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:27 am

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43326&p=398545#p398545

What happened you edited the post while you were still needing your posts approve...it is a safety set on this board to help stop spammers from publicly :wink: posting
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Showlamb18 wrote:I haven't heard a lot about them. Are they good both upland and waterfowl hunting dogs? Do they have good longetivity and how big do they usually get?
Thanks,
Dalton
Yes, they are good at both upland and waterfowl. They are also outstanding tracking dogs for wounded game. We use ours for everything that we hunt.
They are a pretty "clean" breed as far as health problems. They are also "clean" as in they are constantly grooming themselves.
Longevity is good with them living 12-14 years on average.
Females are 19-21 inches tall and males 20-22 inches tall.
Although there are some, like my female, that is 18 inches tall.
Pretty easy going in the house. They know how to shut it down.
They do not do well being stuck in a kennel and forgotten until hunting season.

I would make sure you research breeders very well. Look beyond titles and look at the sires and dams in person. Also, make sure you understand the breed. They really arent a breed that you want to jump from say a lab and get a SM. Totally different animals.

If you have more questions, I would be happy to answer them. I am not a breeder and am not puppy pushing. :wink:

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 pm

kninebirddog wrote:viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43326&p=398545#p398545

What happened you edited the post while you were still needing your posts approve...it is a safety set on this board to help stop spammers from publicly :wink: posting
Oh I guess it took so long so I thought I had deleted it I guess.

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Munster wrote:
Showlamb18 wrote:I haven't heard a lot about them. Are they good both upland and waterfowl hunting dogs? Do they have good longetivity and how big do they usually get?
Thanks,
Dalton
Yes, they are good at both upland and waterfowl. They are also outstanding tracking dogs for wounded game. We use ours for everything that we hunt.
They are a pretty "clean" breed as far as health problems. They are also "clean" as in they are constantly grooming themselves.
Longevity is good with them living 12-14 years on average.
Females are 19-21 inches tall and males 20-22 inches tall.
Although there are some, like my female, that is 18 inches tall.
Pretty easy going in the house. They know how to shut it down.
They do not do well being stuck in a kennel and forgotten until hunting season.

I would make sure you research breeders very well. Look beyond titles and look at the sires and dams in person. Also, make sure you understand the breed. They really arent a breed that you want to jump from say a lab and get a SM. Totally different animals.

If you have more questions, I would be happy to answer them. I am not a breeder and am not puppy pushing. :wink:
They sound like a good all around breed and they look kind of like a spaniel. I'm going to do a little research on them and see how they would fit into my family. And do you know of any good breeders in Texas or should I get one from a breeder out of state if I do decide they are the right breed for us? But I'm still a little stuck on what breed the other one should be.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:31 pm

why are you so set on 2 different breeds? I would do my research, as well as find hunt tests field trials and some training days to watch the different breeds of dogs work. you do enough blind research you can find any answer to fit your needs.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:54 pm

The reason why I would like two different breeds is so that we have a little bit of variety because I have seen most of the dogs above mention work and they each have their strong points that I like.
Thanks,
Dalton

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Showlamb18 wrote:The reason why I would like two different breeds is so that we have a little bit of variety because I have seen most of the dogs above mention work and they each have their strong points that I like.
Thanks,
Dalton
Dogs have strong and weak points, not breeds. If you don't know what you want I have no idea how any of us can help. Your likes and dislikes are personal as are the attributes of the dogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm sorry I guess I should have given more details.
I want a dog that can hunt upland and waterfowl but also a dog of medium to smaller size.
The one breed I really like is Brittany's but I didn't know if they could hunt water fowl too. That's one reason why I was thinking two different breeds so I could have one for waterfowl and one for upland but if Brittany could do both then I think I would most likely get two Brittany's then.
Sorry I wasn't so clear.

Dalton

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Since you live in TX, I think the biggest factor to consider in a pointing breed is heat tolerance. I would take a serious look at pointers if you want a dog that is born with a ton of natural talent and have the highest heat tolerance. If you were hunting pheasants and ducks in ND, GWP would be a great choice. In regards to a pudelpointer, I have a solid liver gsp, she is a fantastic dog, but if the sun is shining on a 75 degree day, she melts fast. Food for thought.

I'd say get a pair of pointers. If you get into waterfowling, get a lab. Easy to get a 3rd dog once you have two.

ALso, if anyone tells you pointers are high strung, not good in the house or dont retrieve, just ignore them, they have no idea what they're talking about.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Dalton,find a NAVHDA chapter close to you and go watch some dogs. Not sure how many SM's you will see that way. I am not sure of any TX. breeders either. But, if you chose this breed, I will help you with a breeder. But make sure you know what oyu are getting into with these dogs. I know to many that have been bought by people as more of a novelty item then a hunting dog and it ticks me off to no end.

As for breeders, I am a stickler for whom I recommend anymore. The longer I have been around the breed and the club, the wiser I have become. :wink:

L.B.C

Post by L.B.C » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:44 pm

I have a small Munster and a English cocker that I hunt upland and whaterfowl. The SM points and the other flushes. I have the best of both worlds and would not change a thing. Both are g :wink: reat in the house and both have a high hunting drive. Both a great in the water and both can hang with upland ( quail mostly) .But most of all they are some the best family dogs I have ever own. I have ahad and been around alot of good dogs but these take the cake. They have really surprised me on how great these two are. Can't. Wait until hunting season.

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:54 pm

I like what I'm hearing about the small munsterlander and I like Brittanys too. I will definitely look into local feild trials and NAVHDA chapters close. We already have an English Springer that could flush the birds the pointer points. But I will definitely look the field trials and do a whole lot more research on both breeds and also go to field trials and watch those too breeds work.
Thanks,
Dalton

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:23 pm

In the Texas heat hunting quail, the English Pointer is hard to beat. They won't waterfowl but they can cover a lot of ground and do it with better endurance and speed than most other breeds. Around the house they are playful and animated.

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:53 am

We will also hunt in Colorado too as we have family up there and we'll most likely hunt pheasant and I would like to try grouse and then maybe waterfowl too.
Thanks,
Dalton

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 am

I'd advise against getting two at the same time. Lots of potential drawbacks to that and little if any positive. Google littermate syndrome (and it doesn't matter if the dogs are littermates - this applies to any puppies around the same age raised together). I've dealt with some of those issues because of my choice to get two similar aged pups and it has not been pretty. I've also dealt with a lot of foster dogs that were developmentally and socially challenged because of this issue.

One dog - one year - all your attention - all your training time = a much more awesome dog than two at once. I'd suggest getting one pup and getting him up through his first real full on season and then adding a second dog. If you weren't set on two at once, I'd even suggest waiting until year 3 or so to get the second dog. Either way, if you get two pups, they will bond with one another more than you unless you are militant about keeping them separate (and that is hard to do). The bonus of waiting is that as you learn (and make mistakes) you will be less likely to repeat the mistakes with the second dog when you get him/her.

I voted for shorthairs, since I have had two and they have both LOVED water - the one we have now is part fish and the one before we named Gator because you couldn't keep her out of the water. I also have had and do have, several pointers - they are great but not waterfowl dogs. My vizsla could be a duck dog, but only early season. We have two chessies - they are fearless retrievers but get hot in the uplands (good pheasant dogs though) - mine are not good with other dogs or with small children - so really do your homework to find a good breeder that breeds for temperament.

I second the suggestion to get out and see dogs work before you decide!

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:33 am

RoostersMom wrote:I'd advise against getting two at the same time. Lots of potential drawbacks to that and little if any positive. Google littermate syndrome (and it doesn't matter if the dogs are littermates - this applies to any puppies around the same age raised together). I've dealt with some of those issues because of my choice to get two similar aged pups and it has not been pretty. I've also dealt with a lot of foster dogs that were developmentally and socially challenged because of this issue.

One dog - one year - all your attention - all your training time = a much more awesome dog than two at once. I'd suggest getting one pup and getting him up through his first real full on season and then adding a second dog. If you weren't set on two at once, I'd even suggest waiting until year 3 or so to get the second dog. Either way, if you get two pups, they will bond with one another more than you unless you are militant about keeping them separate (and that is hard to do). The bonus of waiting is that as you learn (and make mistakes) you will be less likely to repeat the mistakes with the second dog when you get him/her.

I voted for shorthairs, since I have had two and they have both LOVED water - the one we have now is part fish and the one before we named Gator because you couldn't keep her out of the water. I also have had and do have, several pointers - they are great but not waterfowl dogs. My vizsla could be a duck dog, but only early season. We have two chessies - they are fearless retrievers but get hot in the uplands (good pheasant dogs though) - mine are not good with other dogs or with small children - so really do your homework to find a good breeder that breeds for temperament.

I second the suggestion to get out and see dogs work before you decide!

+1

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:29 pm

We did have two litter mate labs before and they were definitely bonded and it was bad when one of them passed away because the other one went crazy. We were not going to get both dogs at the same time because of that we were going to get them about a year apart. I definitely agree with you on giving them about a year apart because they will turn out better with more attention focused on their training.
Thanks,
Dalton

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 pm

There are a bunch of good English pointer breeders in Texas. As mentioned earlier they are popular there for good reason. And do like Roosters mom said. Get the second dog after you finish the first.

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:49 pm

I do hear about quite a few good English pointer breeders here in Texas, but I was wondering how well Brittany's and small Munsterlanders and gsp's handle the heat too.
Thanks,
Dalton

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:53 am

Dalton
The english pointer is a breed that wins the big field trials more than any other breed due to its speed, endurance, and nose. They are really some fantastic athletes. They are probably the predominant breed in your area for commercial quail hunting oufitters.

Of the the breeds on your list, the GSP seems to me to be closest to the all around dog you are envisioning. A well bred GSP is a great dog for warmer weather and can cover a lot of ground. Given the right training, it can do the waterfowling job acceptably. I think its a great choice. I may get a GSP myself some day.

You might think about what type of hunting you're passionate about and lean toward a breed that excels in that. If you were a northeastern dyed in the wool duck hunter that hunted a little pheasant now and then, that chessie or a lab would be a good way to go. But I don't think I'd get a chessie to hunt quail in Texas.

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:48 am

I've heard the GSP's and Brittany's are good for grouse and pheasant.
Would an English pointer be able to hunt in Texas and then when we go hunting in Colorado hunt pheasant and grouse there as well?
Thanks,
Dalton

L.B.C

Post by L.B.C » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:41 am

If you are looking at an all around one dog hunter, I would go with the German breeds.
The SM, GSH, and WHP,these dogs do a good job for upland and waterfowl. The EP are great upland on certain things but can't do it all. The German dogs do a good job but they are not going to co
ver like an EP. But its what you like and the style of hunting you do what really matters.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Showlamb18 wrote:I've heard the GSP's and Brittany's are good for grouse and pheasant.
Would an English pointer be able to hunt in Texas and then when we go hunting in Colorado hunt pheasant and grouse there as well?
Thanks,
Dalton
The short answer is yes.

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Ok and how do Llewellin Setter's handle the heat because I have seen quite a few breeders in Texas with them but I wasn't sure.
Thanks,
Dalton

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:
Showlamb18 wrote:I've heard the GSP's and Brittany's are good for grouse and pheasant.
Thanks,
Dalton
The short answer is yes.
Thank You

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:14 pm

Showlamb18 wrote:Ok and how do Llewellin Setter's handle the heat because I have seen quite a few breeders in Texas with them but I wasn't sure.
Thanks,
Dalton
Like with all breeds some better than others. I have a pair of Llewellins. and I highly recommend them.
Indy the nearly white one is out of Alabama, and handles heat like a pointer.

Here is a little video of them working together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_RKwP6qCPw
Steve

808allday

Post by 808allday » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Get a dog that can do it all, get a Brittany. They have more duel championships than any other breed. Since you're in texas (like me), I can suggest talking with lone star brittney's in Midland (http://www.lonestarbrittanys.com/) and Chief's Brittney's out of Amarillo (http://brittanys.com/Brittany_puppies.htm) Both are reputable breeders and have good bloodlines. There are a few others as well, good luck!

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:42 am

Where you live i would pick a Pointer first second would be a Setter and third a Brittany and with the Setter and Brittany i would try and pick one that has more white to help with the heat.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:36 am

808allday wrote: They have more duel championships than any other breed.
There's a few reasons for that..
Last edited by gotpointers on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:38 am

gotpointers wrote:
808allday wrote: They have more duel championships than any other breed.
There's a reason for that.. thats all I'm going to say.
That is probably more than you should have said :roll:

Showlamb18

Post by Showlamb18 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:31 am

Thank You everybody for your input it has really meant a lot. I think I have narrowed it down to the few breeds that I liked in doing my research which would be Brittany's, Llewellin Setters and German Shorthaired pointers. I am going to try and go out to some field trials and watch these dogs work but I think we may go with Brittany's and get a Llewellin or GSP down the road.
Thanks,
Dalton