What's your preference for Shotgun Action Type?

What type of shotgun action do you prefer to shoot?

Side by Side
17%
Over/Under
53%
Single Shot
No votes
Pump
10%
Auto
20%
other
No votes

Total votes: 90

roaniecowpony

What's your preference for Shotgun Action Type?

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Just wondering what type of shotgun you prefer.

terrym

Re: What's your preference for Shotgun Action Type?

Post by terrym » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Quality SxS guns tend to be pricy so I use O/U more but some day will finally find the "right" SxS. I want a 26" barrelled 16g. with English stock that is built on a gauge specific frame weiging around 6 1/4 lbs. Tough to find without selling a kidney.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:59 pm

O/U for upland. Auto for waterfowl.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:11 am

Only birds I hunt anymore are upland game. I also run E. Setter's. Upland game and E.Setter's require a SxS! :D If I should for some unknown reason ever shoot ducks again, I have an Ithica mod 37 in 16 ga.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:40 am

Wow. I'd never have guessed sxs would be leading pumps or autos or any other action in popularity. You sure couldn't tell by what you see in the average hunter's hands. But then this IS a special group here. I shoot almost exclusively sxs guns. Although in recent years I've developed a like for Winchester Model 42 410 pumps and I am in the process of restoring a solid rib 20g Model 12 pump.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:48 am

O/U if I am on my feet, pump if if I am in the layout blind.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:36 am

Semi Auto for all of my hunting. I do want a O/u 16ga Citori for a back up gun to my Sweet 16.
"A person may cause evil to others not only by his action but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury." John Stuart Mill

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:53 am

O/U if it is any bird except waterfowl and turkey at which time it is a semi auto.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:38 pm

Yes Sir, I love all my shotguns for various reasons, my beretta o/u, win pump, and remington 1187, but really appreciate a nice O/U or S/S. I must say though I am gaining a big man crush on the older Ithaca's, just straight forward American shotgun and built like tanks to last for years, very fond of them Don.
DonF wrote:Only birds I hunt anymore are upland game. I also run E. Setter's. Upland game and E.Setter's require a SxS! :D If I should for some unknown reason ever shoot ducks again, I have an Ithica mod 37 in 16 ga.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:19 pm

I love shooting a semi auto matic but hate the way they scatter shells all over. Makes them hard to find and I don't like leaving them lay in the field as litter.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:17 am

Chasing hulls is a pain whether pump gun or auto. My first shotgun that I bought for myself was an auto, a Browning A-5 Light 12. I shot that gun for everything from skeet to pheasant. That gun is long gone, traded off toward a Remington 3200 o/u decades ago. That 3200 is also gone. I've had one other auto, a Beretta 391 20ga Sporting. Nice gun, but just not what made me feel good. Gone. I gravitated to side by side guns decades ago and had all but cleaned out everything else until I bought my first Winchester Model 42 410 about 7-8 years ago. Now I have two 42s and one Model 12 20ga along with a pile of sxs guns.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:51 am

I hunt quail with English Pointers and therefore the need for an auto loader is a requirement. They find many more birds than other breeds and usually the coveys they find are largeras well so an auto loader only makes sense. :lol:

Seriously though, it all depends on what I am hunting. For upland birds I like my lightweight, O/U in 20ga.

For waterfowl it has to be a 3 shot of some sort. I find that third shot very useful in dispatching cripples quickly without the need to have to dig for another shell if I were shooting a 2 shot gun.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:57 pm

I like an OU, though recently I have started to carry a couple autos more and more.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:31 pm

duckn66 wrote:I hunt quail with English Pointers and therefore the need for an auto loader is a requirement. They find many more birds than other breeds and usually the coveys they find are largeras well so an auto loader only makes sense. :lol:

Seriously though, it all depends on what I am hunting. For upland birds I like my lightweight, O/U in 20ga.

For waterfowl it has to be a 3 shot of some sort. I find that third shot very useful in dispatching cripples quickly without the need to have to dig for another shell if I were shooting a 2 shot gun.
If bird finding abilities of the dog dictates the type of weapon, EP owners would be shooting Gatling guns. :wink:

mask

Post by mask » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 pm

I love my sxs but they kick like a mule. I'm inclined to flinch a little with heavy recoil so I shoot a beretta xplor 4 for most of my shooting. If I use my sxs twelves I shoot a 20 gauge load and get by ok.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:01 pm

O/U is my favorite, if I was allowed only one shotgun it would be a semi-auto.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:04 pm

Auto. A light recoil operated 12 is a do everything gun that's easy to clean.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:13 am

duckn66 wrote:I hunt quail with English Pointers and therefore the need for an auto loader is a requirement. They find many more birds than other breeds and usually the coveys they find are largeras well so an auto loader only makes sense. :lol:

Really? EP's find more and larger coveys than any other dog? Wow, you must be around some bad Britts and Shorthairs.
"A person may cause evil to others not only by his action but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury." John Stuart Mill

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:34 am

lugmastro wrote:

Really? EP's find more and larger coveys than any other dog? Wow, you must be around some bad Britts and Shorthairs.
You see that smiling icon behind his statement, it means you shouldn't take it to seriously.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:04 pm

terrym wrote:Quality SxS guns tend to be pricy so I use O/U more but some day will finally find the "right" SxS. I want a 26" barrelled 16g. with English stock that is built on a gauge specific frame weiging around 6 1/4 lbs. Tough to find without selling a kidney.
You know you can live with one kidney right??

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sundby

Post by Sundby » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:22 pm

Benelli superblackeagle for waterfowl, longtime Remington 870 wingmaster for pheasants user but this past year bought a browning citori featherlight 26" 12 ga. And absolutely love it, it kicks a bit more but it is so fast and smooth on pheasants I will never go back, use a 12 ga for wild birds up here but really wanting to invest in a 20ga o/u!