23 inches
7%
25 inches
7%

Total votes: 15

GSPaddict

What collar size for your GSP?

Post by GSPaddict » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:31 am

Hey I was just wondering what to expect for collar size for my GSP. I am doing some online shopping and wanted to buy a double coated nylon collar while getting other stuff. He is 4 months old and I expect him to be smaller than average gsp's. Thanks!

pear

Post by pear » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:27 am

None of the above...... 15 inches.
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:50 am

pear wrote:None of the above...... 15 inches.
??? Are you sure Pear? That short....

I've been buying 21" w/ a center safety ring and while they are a tad long, I didn't think they were that long..... I do keep mine a bit looser than most (3 fingers), but I don't use it to control them as much as just ID them and make them visible. I use a choker or prong for control, so I may be buying them too long. HMMMM, me thinks me had better double check meself on me collars.......
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

pear

Post by pear » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:03 am

Yes sir 15 to 17 inch. I have contact that supplies them cheap, that is a beagler......"pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:27 am

Bruce,

I think it is a lot safer to have the collar fit reasonably snug. When they are too sloppy it is easier to get them snagged on something.

I buy 14" for my Brits and sometimes have to put a hole in to make them tighter.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:36 am

Do you keep the collar up tight to the back of the head on them? Like where you would want a choker to ride? If you look at Dalin in my Avatar, that is about where I normally let their collars ride. His was a bit looser/lower in this pic, as he was in that growing phase where I seemed to have to adjust every othere day.....
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

pear

Post by pear » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:39 am

Bruce I went back and re-checked and I was right. I don't allow much of a tag-end 1/2 to 3/4 inch maybe. That could be the difference. If I left three plus inches of tag, I'd be at 18 to 21 inches. ..."pear"

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:52 am

OK. Like you, I buy collars at a discount and in bulk and if a tag is to long on a mature dog, just cut it back. On the pups, I'll keep the tag to adjust as they grow into them. By buying the 21" collars I can adjust accordingly, but still buy a good "one size fits all" in bulk and save a few dollars. I do ride my collars a bit low to make room for choker,pinch, e-collars up tight to the back of the head.
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:17 pm

Remember that some places measure differently. Last place I bought collars ( Wilson Dunn) . They said to measure dogs neck and add 4 inches . I ordered 20'" collars and they fit at middle hole.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:35 am

I use 21, I have 3 collars for a dog. One that i leave rather lose for casual home wear. A Leather collar that i keep tighter for work, and a blaze orange collar for field.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:23 pm

My 8 month old is wearing a 18 inch collar right now. I think once he is full grown he will wear a 21 or 22 inch collar. As you can see the size difference in the GSP is amazing. I would look at the parents and find out what size collar they are wearing and that will probally tell you. You could also make a trip to the pet store and try a few different collars on then find the measurment of the one that fits best and order that size.

I am the same as Justin I have 3 collars for my dogs as well. I have a casual nylon collar that I keep fairly loos (2 or 3 fingers), then I have a hunting collar (coated nylon with a D ring) that I use when hunting, and I have a Choke chain for training obedience.

ranger1760

Wow..Just Measure the dogs Neck!

Post by ranger1760 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:39 am

I have 2 dogs and both wear an 18" collar