Do you use a Professional at Shows? For Field Trials?

Rusti's Mom

Do you use a Professional at Shows? For Field Trials?

Post by Rusti's Mom » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:59 am

I was watching the Euk. Dog Show last night and it seems like most of the dogs are handled by Professional Show Handler's. I would like to know if you use a Pro or if you do it yourself?

We have recently ventured into Field Trialing and we are using a Pro to train and handle the pup. It's a new game and with him doing it, it is cheaper as he has the horses and the time. Time being the key word.

Pat

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:53 pm

I have shown dogs before, but feel like a fish out of water doing it. I feel like I am getting much more done for the money getting someone on the lead that does it much better than I do, and loves doing it. I can run dogs in the finals in a Nat`l Trial and not be near as nervous as I am going in the show ring. But that is just me...
brenda

Rusti's Mom

Pro or no

Post by Rusti's Mom » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:21 pm

Brenda,
I agree with you 100%. I feel more confident with the pro doing the trialing.
Pat

Featherman

Post by Featherman » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:41 pm

Pro for the dog shows, because I hate even going to them...

Trails, hunt tests, NAVHDA and NSTRA I handle myself.

Jon

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:56 pm

Selfish at this point as doing whatever it is together is all the fun. Maybe the dog could do better w/o me but we really have fun and the breed will do fine w/o us showing off :P
Colin

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:22 am

I have been in the dog show world for far to many years and just HATE it. there is way to many politics at them. Most of the time it's not what is at the bottom of the lead it's who is holding the lead. And it is not right. But there is really nothing you can do about it. All my dogs are champions or going to be. I like to have titles at both ends. Pretty dogs can hunt too. Gunner will be my 2nd generation bench champion Master hunter. But I still HATE the show ring. And yes I do use a pro handler She is a life long friend. I train her dgs in the feild and she shows my dogs It works well for both of use.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Do you use a Professional at Shows? For Field Trials?

Post by Sharon » Sat May 24, 2008 3:09 pm

occasionally for training problems or to take my dog out west for wild bird experience on the prairies

uplanderkennels@sympatico.com ( ca?)

Ontario, Canada
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:09 pm

Depends.
When I used to compete in Shows, I would do it myself.
I always do any kind of trail however.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:15 pm

I use a professional trainer for field stuff but he doesn't handle my dogs in the field....myself or a friend (also an amatuer) does.

As for shows, sometimes yes, sometimes no. I co-own my girl with her breeder, who is every bit as good a show handler as the pros who do nothing but show for a living, so when he offers to handle her, I don't say no. :D
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

tenbearsviz

Post by tenbearsviz » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:38 am

I hired a Pro to do the Show side of my Dual. I did the field side.

I like to equate it to hiring a plumber. Some things are best left to a professional.