Land Development
Over-Hunting
Other
James -cell: 484-636-9938
-home:610-279-5110

Onk

Re: Reason for Quail/Pheasant Decrease

Post by Onk » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:30 am

IMO the decrease in our area is in large part because of the CRP land. What used to be crop fields with brush wind rows is now thick grasses and weeds. This IMO while may have helped some on our pheasant numbers has killed our quail numbers. The CRP is too thick for the Quail and is home to a growing number of predators that call the CRP home. Fox, snakes, wild cats, coons, possum, coyote.....you get the picture. CRP is a hideaway for predators that did'nt have anywhere to hide, esp. in winter, when there were crops in those fields. So more predators = less game! In fact ole peter cotton tail's numbers are not what they used to be.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:20 am

JHumes wrote:Predators
Farming Practices
Land Development
Other
All of these...

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:28 am

all of these as coop said, But i would include ag chemicals .

The nature in which quail disappeared almost range wide here in the east, all at nearly the same time points to some widespread reason. Ag Chemicals fits that bill. :cry:

I have been able to locate some quail recently and they are in places ag doesn't exist.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:37 am

Winter feed and cover
Nesting cover

So what we should be looking at is what has affected these. Probably will come up with the same answers.

Cleaner harvesting plus fall plowing has depleted the winter feed

Chemicals have eliminated most of the weeds needed for winter feed and cover.

Change in the crops grown has reduced the amount of land suitable for nesting and winter cover.

Larger fields and less livestock has reduced the fence rows which were the hangout spots between the fields.

When these things go then predators have a better chance and that just increases the drop in numbers quicker.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Apathy.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Apathy.
By who?

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:56 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
By who?

Ezzy
Galliformes are the invisible order of birds. They are seldom noticed until they are gone. Anyone who hunts, field trials, or watches nature should belong to a bird conservation organization, in my opinion. Audubon is actually the organization that pushed Colinus virginianus into the national spotlight when they made it the number one species in decline a few years ago. 80% loss over the documented period.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
By who?

Ezzy
Galliformes are the invisible order of birds. They are seldom noticed until they are gone. Anyone who hunts, field trials, or watches nature should belong to a bird conservation organization, in my opinion. Audubon is actually the organization that pushed Colinus virginianus into the national spotlight when they made it the number one species in decline a few years ago. 80% loss over the documented period.
Go back to what I posted above yours and tell me how apathy enters into the loss of habitat due to our changing environment. I understand what you are saying though it could have been stated much clearer but don't see how it would change the environment.

Ezzy

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:14 pm

There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire.
And there will be a lot that will sit back and complain about those people but do nothing either. And in some cases there just maybe isn't anything you can do.

Ezzy

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Talking about this very subject opening weekend at the farm. We had some friends very high up in some seed companies out after the hunt. They claim Iowa State is doing some extensive studies on round up and pheasant populations. With the chicks getting their water from dew off of plants contaminated by roundup. This should be interesting to see how it pans out. The timing of roundup ready products really goes along with the decrease in pheasants populations in Iowa around the mid 90's....

Although I dont believe this is the single problem this could have a lot to do with it. With SD large having less % in Roundup ready products (No wheat yet, which makes a large portion of SD farms) this could have something to do with it.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I live in MN and hunt in SD and I haven't seen the drop in population around here that people are talking about. Close to me its about 95% tillable acres and everyone uses round-up ready. I don't think I would trust a study by a company that has such close ties in the industry, however its nice to know they are looking at the possibilities. I do think the snowfall this year will have an effect on the pheasants in my region.

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:30 pm

nikegundog wrote:I live in MN and hunt in SD and I haven't seen the drop in population around here that people are talking about. Close to me its about 95% tillable acres and everyone uses round-up ready. I don't think I would trust a study by a company that has such close ties in the industry, however its nice to know they are looking at the possibilities. I do think the snowfall this year will have an effect on the pheasants in my region.
This is a study being conducted at Iowa State University, my friends who work for a company (and farm 5000+ acres) that sells roundup-ready products are very concerned what this study might show.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Sorry, I misread I thought that the seed corn manufacturer was doing the study.

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 pm

ACooper wrote:
JHumes wrote:Predators
Farming Practices
Land Development
Other
All of these...
yep.I would agree with that.

ralange

Post by ralange » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:13 pm

In Texas (my region anyway), a lot of the decrease can be placed on climate. Quail, like most other wildlife, are sooo dependent on water (good forage, good reproduction, adequate shelter all depend on precip) and I'm in a failry arid region so moisture really makes us or breaks us each and every year. Sometimes, even with decent rains, severe events like widespread large hail will knock down the numbers of birds again in spite of other conditions being good for them. Pathogens (an internal parasite specifically) are hitting our quail too.

Pheasants, however, are plentiful as always. They're tasty beautiful birds, but could very easily be considered an invasive species! I'm sure other areas of the US are different, but in my neck of the woods pheasants are not in short supply.
Old dogs, like old shoes, are comfortable. They might be a bit out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well.

ralange

Post by ralange » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Ezzy[/quote]
Galliformes are the invisible order of birds. They are seldom noticed until they are gone. Anyone who hunts, field trials, or watches nature should belong to a bird conservation organization, in my opinion. Audubon is actually the organization that pushed Colinus virginianus into the national spotlight when they made it the number one species in decline a few years ago. 80% loss over the documented period.[/quote]
Go back to what I posted above yours and tell me how apathy enters into the loss of habitat due to our changing environment. I understand what you are saying though it could have been stated much clearer but don't see how it would change the environment.

Ezzy[/quote]
It's pretty clear to me how apathy results in habitat loss and environmental change. Though likely not associated with the (unfortunately) minority of people who hunt, fish, backpack, or otherwise value and somewhat understand nature and wildlife, apathy is very much the attitude taken by a growing number of folks who never step outside, fire a shotgun at a goose or grouse, catch a lizard, or roll over a decaying log just to see what's there. The reality is that in our country people just "don't get" wildlife or nature- I've had students that didn't even know that ducks flew! A coworker was under the impression that turtles- animals just like you, me and our dogs- don't eat...ANYTHING! Lack of knowledge > lack of interest > perceived lack of value for wildlife and habitat > NO MORE WILDLIFE OR HABITAT.
Old dogs, like old shoes, are comfortable. They might be a bit out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well.