2%
I am not a member of either
67%

Total votes: 45

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Quail Unlimited vs. Quail Forever

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:23 am

Curious how many are members of one or the other and why did you choose that one. Or are you members of both?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Quail Unlimited vs. Quail Forever

Post by topher40 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:26 am

If I am correct, QU is no longer. From what I remember hearing the "higher ups" took the money and ran. They didnt even bother to shut the door behind them.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Two QU chapters in our area are trying to reorganise and have been soliciting funds. They had been fairly active untill about a year ago, semi-dissolved and now trying to come back. Would Quail Forever seem to be a safer bet, you think?

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:08 pm

show how stupid we are here, did'nt know there was a problem with unlimited and never heard of forever! guess we are in the stone age!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Quail Unlimited has reoganized after their troubles and is up and running. In the interim, folks in Texas (it's like a whole other country) put together a new conservation/habitat organization for their state.

I belong to Quail Forever. We have a couple of active chapters here and need more. I am presently working on a survey of a fairly new WMA that had improvements partially funded by a chapter that folded in the past two years. I really hope that we can use this as an incentive to get a new chapter going in my area. It's a wonderful organization, and money stays local. It is affiliated with Pheasants Forever.

Everyone should belong to some conservation organization, in my opinion. They should also read Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Wow,

People, you've got to get involved.

If bird hunting and dogs are your PASSION, then you ABSOLUTELY need to join an organization that cares about that stuff. I am a QF person (and PF too). I used to be a QU board member (of a local chapter) but now am firmly entrenched in QF. I love the resource (the little brown bird) and I give back to the resource by helping teach kids to hunt (and train dogs) and raising funds to be used locally for habitat projects.

:o Wow - I cannot believe that so many in this poll aren't a member of one of the organizations.... that is seriously disappointing. Who is going to lobby for more CRP managment and more CRP acres? That would be QF and PF - and the more members they have, the bigger their voice in DC. How about more kids getting involved in hunting..... Did you know that QF/PF just received a donation of $1.27 Million dollars from the Potterfields (Midway USA) to extend their shooting sports programs. With the editor of the Covey Rise magazine on their board of directors, QF is growing by leaps and bounds - and like the above poster said.....ALL the decisions on where the funds are spent stay local.

These things are important to us.... to each of us. Please research and join the organization that best fits your interests - don't let Apathy take hold. You CAN make a difference, just ask the local chapters that helped get the new CRP signup going this March! You don't need to be a chapter president - just become a member and see where that takes you. You can join at www.quailforever.org or go to a local banquet in your backyard.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Not a member of either presently.
It is time to re-up to PF.
I may still be a member of a woodcock group in Pennsylvania...not sure.
I quit RGS for the 3rd time...no re-ups planned there.
I may well consider QF in lieu of RGS.

QU and the NWTF both had leader issues, to say the least...I hope the other groups, and leaders, do not follow suit.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:33 pm

I think the DU, QU NWTF are organizations that work from the head office down while PF and QF work from the members up. In my opinion that is a major advantage where the money stays home and doesn't get to the head honchos to tempt them. Plus we never see it again but only read about all of the wonderful things they are doing.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Yeah once they start rubbing elbows with movie stars & politictions your screwed :idea:

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:26 pm

Quail Forever is starting chapters in Mesa (Phoenix) and Tucson, Arizona. No more QU down here.