Registry

With what registry is your dogs registered?

AKC
65%
FDSB
20%
CKC
4%
Other
11%

Total votes: 74

GrouseHunter22

Registry

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:59 am

With what registry is your dogs registered? Feel free to select more than one.

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:00 am

Mine are AKC and FDSB.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:59 pm

AKC here.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:26 pm

AKC here as well. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:16 pm

AKC and NAVHDA

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:09 pm

FDSB afterall they are Pointers. :D

Konza Vadasz

registry

Post by Konza Vadasz » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:17 pm

NAVHDA and FDSB.
WHV aren't widely recognized by American registries, but we're workin' on it.
Last edited by Konza Vadasz on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

shootist

Post by shootist » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:10 pm

AKC and NAVHDA

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:26 pm

CKC and I think im going to see if i can register them with NAVHDA

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:23 am

It won't let me select more than one.

Mine are AKC and FDSB. You will find that most trial shorthairs are registered that way, because GSPCA is AKC and NGSPA is FDSB. We run in both types of trials, as well as occasional AFTCA trials (FDSB).

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:53 am

AKC and NAVHDA
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

Northern_Hunting_Mom

Post by Northern_Hunting_Mom » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:39 pm

AKC and NAVHDA

Kurzhaar

Post by Kurzhaar » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:47 pm

All my DKs are only registered with the DKV in Germany.

My wife's Corgis are AKC registered, but they are just pets.

Jim

pear

Post by pear » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:24 am

AKC and NAVHDA. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:30 pm

AKC and just recently I registered my GSP with the FDSB.

Nitrex

gunner

Post by gunner » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:39 am

Field Dog Stud Book

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:50 am

Mine are AKC & FDSB
Terry & Kim Singsank
Sweetsong Shorthairs

Sweetsong's Wildfire Greta
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=160

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:05 pm

AKC and NAVHDA (in process)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:12 pm

AKC and FDSB got one for both?

and also some are NSTRA
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:49 pm

AKC and UKC. The UKC allows pointers to run in there retriever tests. And with GWP's we have to have a water rating.

Flyingm

Post by Flyingm » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:55 am

Gundogguru,
Does the AKC/GWPGA recognize the test results from the UKC/HRC program?
Proud to be a Rakkasan!

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:50 am

Mine are AKC. CKC and FDSB at least my younger two are.
Don't know how you would like me to do the poll as it will only allow one choice at a time.

Mav....

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:03 am

Flyingm no they do not. Sure wish they did. I duck hunt with my wirehairs also so it was good practice for them. And I get a kick out of coming to the line with a fuzz face and the judges asking me what kind of dog is that. The UKC/ HRC stuff is a lot of fun they are a lot more laid back than the AKC stuff. I hate to say that because I am an AKC pointer judge. But when it comes to the retriever world the AKC judges are not very friendly. Where the HRC judges are more approachable.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:04 am

Maverick are you familiar with the town of Bolton ??

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:10 am

I am, Bolton is about 25 minuts away for me.
I will be driving by it in about 1/2 hour as I am driving to one of my training areas to work with my dogs.

Mav....

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:13 am

Back in the mid 70'S I worked for 2 framers in Bolton. I lived in Orangeville. That was the best Job I ever had. lorne and Orval masinters. the last name my be spelled wrong great people

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:38 am

gundogguru wrote:AKC and UKC. The UKC allows pointers to run in there retriever tests. And with GWP's we have to have a water rating.
GWP's have to have a water rating? For what??? I'll bet there are thousands of GWP's without any type of rating.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am

GWP's have to pass a water test to be an FC or AFC. It is not much of a test, but it does insure that the dogs will go in the water. Lots won't. Once you get to that point - the dog likes the water - you can take it anywhere you want. I finished an AFC wirehair years ago. He could do 300 yard water retrieves on dummies fired from a retriever trainer, and I would swim him a half mile behind a row boat instead of roading him on hot days. I never used him much as a waterfowl dog, but he made many retrieves of upland birds shot over water for me - as have a succession of GSP's since that dog.

I live in water country. Good to keep that characteristic in the dogs.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:11 am

Thanks for the explanation, John. I knew that the AKC GWP's needed a water test to earn their field titles (except JH), but I didn't think that the water test had anything to do with registration.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:18 am

no, nothing to do with registration. don't know about the hunt test part cause i have never hunt tested a GWP, just trialed them (there weren't hunt tests back then). have read that is true though, that they need a water test for hunt tests.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:56 am

You are right John about the water test for a SH or a MH suffix.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:27 pm

I had all 4 SH legs and 3 master legs on my GWP and she was still only a JH till I could find a water test. Down here in the coastal parts of SC it's hard to find water that we can train in and not worry about alligators. Then you have to find a weim club or a GWP club that will hold a water test that runs in conjunction with a hunt test. GWP club of America really dropped the ball with the way they made up the rules about the water test.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:58 pm

GWP's are supposed to be water retrievers as well as pointers. How can you call one a Master Hunter if has never proven that it will retrieve from water? The field trial dogs have required a water retrieve for years, so why shouldn't the hunt test dogs?

Where do the lab folks test their dogs in SC?
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:45 pm

Wannabe,

There has not been any posts that indicate any of us are against the water test. The original post was just that it is required of the GWP. I wish it was included in all of the continental breed's tests. And I don't think anyone would disagree too much if the test are made available. Right now that seems to be a problem in some areas.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:10 am

wannabe the only FC and AFC dogs that require a water rating are GWP'S and weims. GWP's are they only breed that have to a water rating to be come SH or MH. Just because a pointer can't swim doesn't mean the dog could not be a master hunter. some breeds just don't swim well. all your continental breeds have webbed feet so they are built for swimming. As far as the lab people here in the south doing water work all of your PRO's have there own water that they keep gator free or they have access to private water that they can keep gator free. when a gator shows up there is usually a LIGHTNIG strike and the gator is never seen again.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:13 am

there was talk of setting up a water test for GSP's, not a required test but an optional one. our local club did one i think. but the concept apparently died on the vine. too bad.

one of the most enthusiastic swimmers i ever had was a pointer. she was not a great swimmer, she mostly swam vertically and splashed alot. but you could not get her out of the water.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:41 pm

I have an old Irish setter that swims the same way, She love the water she's just not very good at the swimming thing.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:41 pm

gundogguru wrote:wannabe the only FC and AFC dogs that require a water rating are GWP'S and weims. GWP's are they only breed that have to a water rating to be come SH or MH. Just because a pointer can't swim doesn't mean the dog could not be a master hunter. some breeds just don't swim well. all your continental breeds have webbed feet so they are built for swimming. As far as the lab people here in the south doing water work all of your PRO's have there own water that they keep gator free or they have access to private water that they can keep gator free. when a gator shows up there is usually a LIGHTNIG strike and the gator is never seen again.
IMHO, a wirehair that can't swim or doesn't want to swim doesn't deserve the title of MH or SH.
I have been told that the GSP's used to require a water retrieve for their FC/AFC titles.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:29 pm

wannabe wrote:
gundogguru wrote:wannabe the only FC and AFC dogs that require a water rating are GWP'S and weims. GWP's are they only breed that have to a water rating to be come SH or MH. Just because a pointer can't swim doesn't mean the dog could not be a master hunter. some breeds just don't swim well. all your continental breeds have webbed feet so they are built for swimming. As far as the lab people here in the south doing water work all of your PRO's have there own water that they keep gator free or they have access to private water that they can keep gator free. when a gator shows up there is usually a LIGHTNIG strike and the gator is never seen again.
IMHO, a wirehair that can't swim or doesn't want to swim doesn't deserve the title of MH or SH.
I have been told that the GSP's used to require a water retrieve for their FC/AFC titles.
While I do agree with water tests, I can't get around the double standard. In my opinion, if a water test is required to earn a SH or MH title, then every breed should be succeptible to that test. Otherwise, the water test should be a separate test and have a separate title designation, with no bearing on a SH or MH title. Just my opinion, of course.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:59 pm

I am in favor of all of the continental breeds having to pass a water test but will have to admit it should be the breed club to make the call. The breeders should have the right and responsibilty to decide what they want for their breed standard. and if a breed requires it they should provide it when they sponsor a hunt test.

Ezzy

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:57 am

ezzy has it just right. the breed clubs decide. in the AKC environment, that is the only way it is going to happen anyway. breed clubs decide the standard. there is no overall group that tries to impose a standard or requirement like this on several breeds.

also, would not get too excited about this particular water test. it is more of a "proof" test - will the dog go in water and will it pick up a dummy or bird (as I recall a bird can be used with a dog that won't do the dummy). just a pass fail. as i recall, the dog does not have to bring the dummy to hand. it has passed when it goes in and picks the dummy up. good to do i think, to make sure the characteristic stays in the breed, but it is not an elaborate test and there is no quality measure involved (how good did the dog do it). if you want a more elaborate test, you will have to go to NAVHDA or do your own.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:13 am

Wagonmaster your 100% correct about the water test. It really is not worth doing but shows that the dog will swim. Our test that being the GWP test consists of a game bird being throw about 20 yards. the dog has to willingly enter the water and retrieve the bird it does not have to deliver to hand. it is a pass or fail. if you are going to have a water rating at least make it worth while and show the dogs ability to do water work. And it is up to the parent club of any sporting breed to make a water test part of that breeds requirement for a hunt test title.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:46 pm

i hope i am right. i passed a dog once. in nebraska. in a creek that was about 10' wide. but the dog did swim. and finished his championship.

that's the same dog that would do the 300 yd retrieves.

all it is for is to keep the characteristic in the breed.

rosiesdad

Post by rosiesdad » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:10 pm

Since my dogs are spayed, and I do not compete in show or trials, why bother to spend money to register my dogs. I beleive in buying registered pups from serious breeders however. Thats money well spent.
Only two seasons, bird season and getting ready for bird season

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:53 pm

NAVHDA and FDSB here.
Men in Black -- Protecting Earth from the scum of the Universe
-------------------------------------------------------
Donnerhund!
Registered German Wirehaired Pointers

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:31 am

While the dog doesn't have to deliver the bird "to hand", it must bring it back out of the water and within reaching distance of the handler.
It's not a tough test, but our membership thought it important enough to fight AKC for several years to get it for our breed.

Quite a few other continental breeds were asked by the GWPCA to join us in our quest to get this test for the SH and MH. None were interested and we plugged along till it was done.

One of the biggest problems is finding a test. Right now, only a test by a Weim club or a GWP club will count. It's something the club is working on, and hopefully will be fixed soon.

I know it's a hike for someone in the Carolinas, but sometime this summer there will be a test held in NJ. Anyone interested.... email me.
Dual

Wa Chukar Hunter

Both

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Tue May 16, 2006 9:41 am

One of my dogs is dual registered the other two FDSB only