Poor
10%
Non-Existent
13%

Total votes: 30

GrouseHunter22

05/06 Season

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:31 pm

I havn't been on in a while and havn't been able to read any posts so I'm doing a poll. Compared to average, how has your alls season been this year?

sdgord

season

Post by sdgord » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:31 pm

Pheasants were unbelievable, chickens and sharptails were very good making a great come back from some down years. The only downside is that the huns are still a bit slow coming back to most of the state. That and we got hosed out of three weeks of the season due to an ice storm and blizzard. Other than that it was excellent for the dogs, breaking in a three year old that had never been on a bird, he really had a chance to come around due to the number of chances for him.SDGORD

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:15 am

Lots of quail this year, of course I hunted mostly where I knew there was a covey. Several coveys i had seenout of a tractor or heard about from the guy who farms the ground.

Also my little 8 month old pup is comig aroudn and doing the right things, he's a little rough aroudn the edges and unsure of his nose some and hasn't figured out to go where I point but he's pointign and retrieving so I can't complain too much.

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:30 am

This year was better then the last few, but I have to credit NDBDHunter for the improvement.

Thanks alot Tom for showing us around we had a great time.

Regards,

Rob

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:49 am

Had a great year & the quail numbers were great here in the Texas Panhandle. I was also surprised at the number of pheasants I saw & shot just north of Lubbock.

Plus I getting out with my new pup was great. Also I spent a lot more time out in the field this year.

Now if we can just get some rain to help make 06/07 another good year.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:35 am

my brothers and i figure the three of us shot around 150 roosters, plus assorted sharptail and huns. over them dang FT dogs.

good year.

we did it all in Nebraska. :D

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:59 am

Grouse numbers were up when I went deep enough into the woods and well off any beaten path but still not what they were 5 years ago. Woodcock numbers were good when the flights came down but again the local population is down as well.
But as always I enjoyed my time in the woods with my brittany and shot far more then I would have with out her.

Mav.....

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:40 pm

Accross Iowa the Pheasant numbers were up an average of 19%. Fortunately for me the four main counties in Iowa that I hunt the numbers were up 45%. Needless to say we had a great year. Even managed a two day quail hunt in south central Iowa with great results. The best part of the year however was watching my male (10mo's old at the begining of season) go from never being around birds (was rescued at 8mo's) to turning into a bird hunting machine! By the end of season he was pointing, honoring and retrieving like a pro. I would like to take credit for being a great trainer, but the reality is he has a tremendous amount of natural ability so the credit goes to him for being a patient and willing pupil.