dog box or truck topper

vgcas

dog box or truck topper

Post by vgcas » Sat May 02, 2009 4:36 pm

trying to get pro and cons. looking at stainless dog boxes, which cost around 2200 or a truck topper whic cost about the same. how do they both hold up to weather? and other insight is good. share.

megschristina

Re: dog box or truck topper

Post by megschristina » Sat May 02, 2009 4:41 pm

You can build your own, that is what my dad did. It was pretty nice.
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Jill's Pedigree- http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2120

Kmack

Re: dog box or truck topper

Post by Kmack » Sun May 03, 2009 7:25 am

I have used dog boxes for years and recently installed a topper (used) and built storage box in bed. I am currently using Vari-kennel type plastic boxes but intend to buy a trailer when I can afford it. The nice thing about a topper is that you can carry a bed full of cargo which is protected from the elements and can be locked up. This is handy if you travel where you are staying multiple days. If all of your dog transport is day trips then the box works fine. I personally feel that the topper with trailer and plastic boxes gives you the best combination. The trailer is nice when you are using more that two or three dogs which makes getting them in and out of the pickup difficult. I have never used the dog topper with compartments but it seems like it might be a good compromise. I camp out of the topper also so that option doesn't work for me.