Tritronics
48%
other
2%

Total votes: 111

Addict

ecollar

Post by Addict » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:27 pm

Just wondering what brand of collar you are using. If you would like to say what you like or dislike about it please do.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:21 am

I use the SportDog SD-1200. It was only $199, has a lifetime warranty, and can be converted into a 2-dog system just by adding a second collar receiver and reprogramming the transmitter.

As for their customer service, the waterproof seal on the button to turn the collar receiver on fell out and I emailed SportDog. I got a reply the next day with a phone number, and I called it. After about a total of 3 minutes on the phone, I had a whole new collar receiver shipped to me.

Funny thing is, the first collar receiver still works, I just don't know how waterproof it is. I can use it in a pinch when I get my second dog (until I can get a new one or different e-collar).

Never had a problem with this e-collar. My only gripe is that the receivers are kind of bulky and weigh a bit, which causes them to slip down around the underside of my dog's neck (dealing with a 50 lb. vizsla) rather than stay on the side. This doesn't effect operation, but it does make me curious about the size difference of those G2 collars.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:28 am

I just switched from Innotek to TriTronics, haven't had the new collar long enough to give a good report, but I will tell you I did not like my Innotek. I had the TT-100A and it was the most unreliable POS I have ever owned! I worked sometimes, but never when I really needed it.

Rut

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:09 pm

we also use the Dt System..both have been very good
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

APRock

Post by APRock » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:36 pm

I also have an SD-1200. Nice unit. GREAT customer service, and the price is especially right. I also bought the Sport Dog Beeper collar and put the unit on the same collar. Combo works great - would be better if the beeper had a remote as well.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:55 pm

RutCrazed wrote:I just switched from Innotek to TriTronics...I will tell you I did not like my Innotek. I had the TT-100A and it was the most unreliable POS I have ever owned!
I'm with ya, Rut. My 100A was the same way - after fixing/replacing 2 transmitters, I finally got a 3rd new one and got rid of it. My GSP was very thankful.

I'm now running a TT Field 70 2-dog setup and have been pretty happy with it except the size of the transmitter. Dang near need a back-pack to haul that thing around! Wish I had a more convenient handset with the combo... :?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:30 pm

Tri-Tronics.
Everyone uses them they stand behind their name and are virtually indistructable if used properly.

PAHunter

Post by PAHunter » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:45 pm

Is Innotek the only company that makes a transmitter the works both the collar and the lanchers?

I was thinking about buying the combo in the lion country supply catalog - but after reading some of the above posts I guess I'm going to buck up and try out the new G2's!

Thanks for the info!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:46 pm

o ya G2's rock

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:39 pm

I've got two Innotek collars. i think I might be the only person on this board that actually likes Innotek collars.
I had one problem with the two dog set I had, they sent me two new receivers and all has been well since.

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:10 am

I only have the one collar right know and havent had any probs w. dogtra but am a little interested in TT. I like the fact that Dogtra is more affordable but have mixed fealings with the reostat dial to adjust for idividual dogs. you just cant get an exact setting. if a dog is to soft a tad to much can dramaticly effect how pup will react to it. JMO

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:43 am

Birdhunter1 wrote:I've got two Innotek collars. i think I might be the only person on this board that actually likes Innotek collars.
I had one problem with the two dog set I had, they sent me two new receivers and all has been well since.
If an e-collar works properly, there's really no story to tell. :D

If I'm not mistaken, Innotek was one of the first major brands of dog e-collars, so naturally they've taken a lot of heat as the guinea pigs. If it ain't broke, don't fix it though.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:48 pm

Nice pole addict =)

Addict

Post by Addict » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:33 am

Thanks Grant.

Small Munsterlander

Post by Small Munsterlander » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:43 am

I don't believe Innotek was prior to TT.

TT does make a laucher activator that you put on the launcher.

I still have and often use my original (15 years old) TT ecollar. I also have 3 other units, i beeper plus 1 bark eliminator. I have not had any problems with their products and recommend them to others because of reliability and customer service. Bill :)

sdgord

e collars

Post by sdgord » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:07 pm

I have both Dogtra and TT. I prefer the Dogtra because of the transmitter. The TT is just more bulky, both have been very reliable I have had no isssues with either one. Just prefer the Dogtra. As far as setting I have played with the dial enough using myself as the guinea pig to learn what setting for which dog I am running.SDGORD

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:14 pm

I have the tt sport 50 and I like it because while adjusting the settings they click and lock into each one and the on/off switch is on the collar. My tt sport65 you have to hold a button on the transmitter to turn it on/off and sometimes I'll rush and don't turn it off.
I've had my 65 for 4 years and my 50 for 2 with no problems.
A mistake I made was not buying a muti-dog unit.

sdgord is your tt a pro with the larger transmitter?
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

gone

Post by gone » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:54 pm

I have a TT classic 70 that I have had for 3 years & have been bery pleased with it's durability & longevity of battery life. I wish they made one small enough for my wife's Boston terrier.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:42 am

I have a TT Pro 500 which I got about six or seven years ago. I also have a TT A1-80, the metal antenna version, which I got about sixty or seventy years ago (actually about 1980). The Pro 500 is very dependable. But TT was very slow to incorporate good removable batteries in their collars. I had a collar that I bought in the mid-80's called the Cat, that had removable rechargealbe batteries, and the same battery was used for the collar and the transmitter. Unfortunately, it was made by a small one man company that eventually closed up. But the design was far better than TT.

Maybe TT has licked the problem with the new G2's. The question is, why did it take 25 years for them to get there?

My brothers and hunting partners have got Dogtras and Innoteks. They seem to have no end of problems with them, so are always using mine.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:07 pm

The nice thing with the new batteries is u can leave them on the charger indefinatly without wrecking the battery. :D

sdgord

collar

Post by sdgord » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:57 am

Billy, yes the tt is the one with the large transmitter. I have bought holsters and vests that hold it but its just bulky. I like the collar fine but for hunting it is just more inconvenient than any thing else the tt products are good units. I may go out today and compare a few different styles and brands but I am leaning again toward the dogtra 2000ncp.SDGORD

TAK

Re: collar

Post by TAK » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:49 am

sdgord wrote:Billy, yes the tt is the one with the large transmitter. I have bought holsters and vests that hold it but its just bulky. I like the collar fine but for hunting it is just more inconvenient than any thing else the tt products are good units. I may go out today and compare a few different styles and brands but I am leaning again toward the dogtra 2000ncp.SDGORD
I think you will be pleased with the Dogtra. I have had the 2000 N/C less than a year know and Love it!
At first I was a little disapointed in the retrostate dial to turn it up. I liked the fact of other collars that clicked or gave a number to push. After using it I have gained a feel of where I need it for each dog.
The only thing I would change is the button pattern. the NICK is on top and the Constant is below it. I would like it the other way around.

Ryan

Re: collar

Post by Ryan » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:14 am

TAK wrote:The only thing I would change is the button pattern. the NICK is on top and the Constant is below it. I would like it the other way around.
My Sport 50 G2 is the same way nick on top constant on the bottom.

sdgord

e collar

Post by sdgord » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:52 pm

Tak, I have had the dogra 1200ncp for a couple of years now and it has been quite reliable. I wind up using the pager function almost exclusively as the dogs know that the next stim is not pleasant. Using it to whoa break on the belly has been effective maybe more so than the tri tronics. Either way if a person has more than one dog you need mutiple collars the way I figure and I have spent money more foolishly than on dog equipment. SDGORD

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:18 pm

Has anyone tried the SportDog Field 400 model? The receiver is touted as the "smallest in its class" and I'm wondering if it's smaller than the G2.

It's got a range of 400 yards. What are some thoughts on necessary range? I don't do field trials, so keep that in mind, and I hunt on foot and not on horseback.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:07 pm

Ayres wrote:Has anyone tried the SportDog Field 400 model? The receiver is touted as the "smallest in its class" and I'm wondering if it's smaller than the G2.

It's got a range of 400 yards. What are some thoughts on necessary range? I don't do field trials, so keep that in mind, and I hunt on foot and not on horseback.
I had the 200 NC Gold its reciever was way smaller than the g2's fit right in your palm. Nice collar.

TAK

Re: e collar

Post by TAK » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:36 pm

sdgord wrote:Tak, and I have spent money more foolishly than on dog equipment. SDGORD
Ahh yes! On another board there is a guy that has on all his posts.... I spend my money on Dogs, hunting, Whiskey, and chasing woman, the rest I just blew!
Or something like that! TOO FUNNY!

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:41 pm

Ayres wrote:Has anyone tried the SportDog Field 400 model? The receiver is touted as the "smallest in its class" and I'm wondering if it's smaller than the G2.

Believe it or not most your pointing dogs will reach out further in the right cover. For the most part you can train and do a good job at it with a short range like this. But I see it every day a well breed pointing dog getting more and more confident to find game will stretch the limits and when you have something go wrong you can't get the instant correction.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:36 pm

I've see it posted somewhere, I can't remember if it was here or another forum, that with rolling hills and/or wooded areas they said the range would be lessen. Why not the Sporthunter 1800 $80 more but 3/4 mile range.
Billy

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:56 pm

I have the SD-1200 now and it's working great. I am just thinking of getting something with a smaller receiver. Having a brick hanging from the neck of a 50 lb. dog, especially one with short hair, it's hard to keep in place.

Basically, I just think my dog would appreciate the size and weight reduction.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:03 pm

As far as range, I'm thinking on two different aspects:

1. Will I ever have my dog ranging 400 yards (or slightly less, to the max range of the collar)? I haven't had him range more that 100 yards yet, and 100 is pushing it. He's not a big running dog but I don't need or want him to be a big runner either. I hunt on foot and participate in hunt tests, not field trials.

2. If my dog does hit the limits on range for a 400 yd. collar, will I want to make a correction at that distance? At 400 yards, and with a dog that's a mere 23-25" in height at the shoulder, would I even be able to see him?

Everything about the SD Field 400 looks good so the only thing bothering me is whether I will end up shooting myself in the foot for downgrading my range to 1200 feet from a range of 3960 feet that I currently have with my SD-1200, or will I really notice the reduction in range because I never have used it beyond 100 yards to date.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:06 pm

Maybe they have a store location search on their website and you can compare the two at a store near you.
Billy

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:09 pm

I saw the Field 400 in Gander Mountain this past weekend. They built a new Gander Mountain about 3 minutes from my parents' house.

Dad and I went and drooled for awhile this Labor Day weekend. :D
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:14 pm

You guys are lucky we don't have any stores like gander, cabeala's or bass pro nearby. I've heard that it's a all day event if you go to one.
Billy

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:19 pm

Steven,

Keep in mind I think the ranges given are "line of sight"

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:03 pm

Well we "only" spent a little over an hour there, which wasn't that bad considering I actually had a short list of things to get.

I picked up one of their Guide Series warm weather hunting vests. It needs a little modification to be perfect, but not much, and with a $30 pricetag I couldn't beat it. I also picked up a new hunting shirt that is one of those with a quilted blaze patch on the shoulder and blaze orange forearms. The rest of the shirt is a darker khaki color and the back has two mesh vents along the shoulder blades. It was on sale or clearance for $10 (normally $30) so I couldn't pass that one up either.

As far as the line of sight ranges, I do realize that. However, knowing how radio signals work and knowing that where I'll use the collar most will be out among organic material (read: grass and trees) and knowing that central Illinois is FLAT... I shouldn't have much reduction in range. :D
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:05 pm

to give you an idea of line of sight

last Nov. my dad and I were hunting elk. I shot one and was searching for it. when he got me on the radio. I told him what had happened and he told me that when I found it to let him know and he would come and help. this took place with line of sight to each radio.

When I found the elk went backto the same spot we talked at earlier and could not reach him. keep in mind I was on the brink of the 2 mile range the radio was allowed. I had started to walk back to the truck to get my pack frame trying to get him on the radio about every 100 yrds. I made it back to the truck still without a word from dad. since I needed his help with the elk I satrted to head toward him. I finaly got him on the radio when I was within 300 yds.

he had put the radio in his pocket and walked just over the rise of the hill mabey 300 yrds. when I got him on the radio he was heading back to the truck.

so to make a long story longer it doesnt take much to interfear with the frequency the transmitter sends so you are better off getting or sticking with the longer range collars.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:09 pm

Hmm... a 2 mile range (guessing FRS Band) 2-way being dropped to a 300 yard range simply by a hill? I'm guessing one of two things: either there was a lot of metal ore contained in that hill or there was a low-battery issue.

One thing that reduces range more than any other factor is a low battery. Otherwise, an FRS band 2-way should never drop to a 300 yard range unless there is a TON of biological or other radio interference.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

PA_Sportsman

Sportdog

Post by PA_Sportsman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:19 am

Ayres,

You may want to wait until next Spring to upgrade. Sportdog should be releasing their e-collar/ beeper combo unit. The beeper will be controlled from the transmitter. I have the SD-1800 and really love it and I'll probably upgrade to the beeper combo unit next spring. My dog is 70 lbs so the weight of the receiver is not really an issue for her.

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:52 am

I have had TT's sport model, and DT's EZT2000. I am not impressed with the DT. The price was right but two things I am finding out that I do not like is 1) the collars (not the transmitter)do not seem to hold up as well. The ends are fraying and you can not trim off excess as the collar has a built in antenna. 2) I can not put my beepers on the same collar as the transmitter is in a fixed position. So I am currently using a TT pro 200 for two of my dogs and am going to try the Sport Dog SD 1800 for the other two dogs. Both brands you can move the transmitter on the collar to position a beeper. Not a big deal but just handy.

Wes Boothe

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:13 pm

Found a situation with the Dogtra collar that should be taken into consideration

If you plan on using collar on flank to teach whoa these collars can be very tricky to get that real low stimulation that is neaded.

On a second note the reostate dial is not all its cut out to be. What happened to mine was instead of going to a lower level it increased voltage, a reverse of what I wanted.

Not sure if the dog was just reacting more to the stimulation on the second time or if my remote is acting funny but it did lead me to order a new TT G2

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:44 pm

I use Dogtra 2002 T&B for a hunting collar and when I'm just exercising and they might try to run a deer.

When I'm training, it's all TriTronics all the time. Expensive and worth every penny.

It's not about how they handle the mainstream things, it's all the odds and ends. The others let you down and the TriTronics works as it should.

Best,

gjw

Post by gjw » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:04 pm

:lol: I love my Dogtra 2000 T&B, best collar I've ever owned, just plan great all the way around!!!

Greg

Goosehunterdog

Post by Goosehunterdog » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:02 am

Tri-Tronics