chitty
25%
Other
16%

Total votes: 190

Birdhunter1

Ford, Dodge, chitty

Post by Birdhunter1 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:23 pm

We've polled everything that I can think of but I have never seen one for trucks so what's your rig. My dad has sold Ford vehicles at the local dealer for about 18 years so Ford cars and trucks basically put a roof over my head and food in my gut for most of my life so I'm kinda indebted to them. Plus I'm a smart guy so I'll stick with my Fords.
If I had to go with something other than a Ford, it'd be a Dodge. But it would have to be so Plain Jane so no body would recognize me in it that it would be ugly.

Anyway most of yall have seen pics of my truck but just in case: http://community.webshots.com/album/253061620FEXZUl

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:32 pm

I have a Jeep, did have a yota, but I'd like a 4door 4x4 Ford/Chev one day...

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:04 pm

I like the new O5 Tacoma's

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:19 pm

There is a saying here in Taber. You want a work truck you go Ford, U want a big roomy family truck you go dadge you want a looker truck you go Chevy. Personally I will be getting a jeep. They are like a heated quad.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:48 pm

This is my new (to me) truck. I got it in April, right before my birthday (and a week before final exams... helped me study, honest!) It's a 1998, but only had 76k miles on it.

1998 F-150 Lariat Supercab | 4.6L 4x4 | Loaded

p.s. I like how FORD is in all caps. I approve. :D
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:13 pm

I'm on my third Toyota. I put almost 200K on the first two and I'm almost to 160K on this one. Doesn't use a drop of oil between changes. The only non-scheduled maintenance that I've done is the right-front axle.

So, I think I'll drive it another 4 years, give it to my son and then buy myself a Tundra with the diesel that will be out by then.

Best,

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:18 pm

Biodiesel is coming faster than anyone thinks. There's already ethanol gas stations popping up (85% ethanol I think?) around the midwest. I'm with you Greg... looking forward to it.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:59 am

Is gas killing you guys too. Here it is 89.9/ litreI think.

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:11 pm

I choose the Dodge for the Cummins moter! I would love it in a Ford Chassy though.
I get on ave about 24 plus mpg city town or country. I put the horse trailer and 2 horses and I drop down to 20-22 mpg power to burn!
I did hear that Ford bought Cummins. KNow that will be a truck! I just have a problem with the Dodge and the front ends. Costly to repair and they don't last long.
I have over 200,000 on my 95 cummins and runs like a rapped ape!

OK I am dumb what is BIODIESEL???????

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:38 pm

TAK wrote:I choose the Dodge for the Cummins moter! I would love it in a Ford Chassy though.
I get on ave about 24 plus mpg city town or country. I put the horse trailer and 2 horses and I drop down to 20-22 mpg power to burn!
I did hear that Ford bought Cummins. KNow that will be a truck! I just have a problem with the Dodge and the front ends. Costly to repair and they don't last long.

Hi TAK,

Thank you for the input about the Cummins. Those MPG figures will be good ammo to use in debating the buy with my wife.

Biodiesel is diesel fuel made from vegetable stuff, usually vegetable oil.

http://www.biodiesel.org/

Best,

LookoutDog

Post by LookoutDog » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:45 pm

2004 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4.

My fifth Ford truck and they've all been great (knock on wood).

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:08 pm

We should probably split up the "other," category into Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc....... Otherwise the "other" category is sure to be on top.

Personally I have a 2000 dakota quad cab with the 4.7L. It's a nice torquey engine that gets decent gas mileage for such a heavy truck. Plus there's plenty of room for the dog in the back seat. :lol:

Jon

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:25 pm

1993 Geo Prizm is my all terrain vehicle. 35 miles per gallon :D
I did wreck my manifold on a grouse hunt last year.

On rare occasions I get to use the wife's Chevy Suburban.
454 gets 12 miles per gallon no matter what. :roll:

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:43 pm

I drive a Jetta and am a surefire VW devotee, but my boyfriend just got rid of his old Pathfinder and got a Ford Ranger. Figure it's a good investment when a vehicle has remained essentially unchanged since it came out. It's a great little truck, and while the guys at work rag him for having an "old man's truck," it's exactly what we need: good gas mileage, room for pups, plastic floors for wet pups, and a Tonneau-covered bed for our camping gear. Waste not, want not, right?

Besides, if I hear ""Cause it's bigger in the new South, better in a Dodge" or "Yeahhhh, it's got a Hemi" one more time, I think I will throw up. :roll:
Last edited by Colleen on Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:03 pm

I will admit, my F-150 is getting me about 13 mpg city and 19 highway. I hear that in the 2006 F-150 there is supposed to be a better engine (hybrid, flex-fuel, whatever) that will make it get a ton better gas mileage. I read that in a Popular Mechanics magazine a few years back though, and haven't heard any updates since.

In a few years, if that does come true, I'm sure I'll be in the market for a newer truck -- just for the mileage.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:36 pm

I have been driving Nisaans since the late eighties and dont see a change soon. My 02 Frontier has 180,000 and outside the normal timing belt change I have had only one other problem that involved the syncro gear. This truck is off road daily along with lots of highway miles, still has the original shocks and rear brakes, one set of new front brakes and not a drop of oil between changes. Trust me the changes are not every 3000, I run synthetics and go about 8000 between changes :oops: .

My next truck will either be a Titan or an F250. I have friends that own Dodges and Chevys and they have more trouble with them than all the others combined. Course I have always been a Ford fan gong back to my 62 Flareside 8)

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:27 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:
TAK wrote:I choose the Dodge for the Cummins moter! I would love it in a Ford Chassy though.

Hi TAK,

Thank you for the input about the Cummins. Those MPG figures will be good ammo to use in debating the buy with my wife.

Biodiesel is diesel fuel made from vegetable stuff, usually vegetable oil.

http://www.biodiesel.org/

Best,
Remember tho this is a 12 valve cummins and not the power house 24 valve! You will loose some MPG to the horses under the hood.
I also like the Durramax, it to gets some good mpg but it also new price is about 8 big ones more than the Cummins.

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:31 pm

Duane M wrote:. Course I have always been a Ford fan gong back to my 62 Flareside 8)
Duane that sure dated you! 62 and driving! Holy cow! 11 more years and I was BORN!

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:51 am

MNGSP wrote:We should probably split up the "other," category into Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc....... Otherwise the "other" category is sure to be on top.
OK, I'll agree the "other category" could win out, but as of yet it hasn't, Ford still leads it.
Besides FORD, Dodge and chitty, who else really makes a truck, and the chitty's are hardly even trucks.

Katies Dad

Post by Katies Dad » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:49 am

Well I currently drive a 05 dodge qc with a hemi 4x2 but I have owned fords and a jeep! I have to say I liked all of them but my jeep was great! I only have 600 miles on my new dodge and so far it's doing great! I get about 20mpg on hwy and 15-16 in town!

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:40 am

Tak it was not, I REPEAT NOT, a new truck :lol: . Matter of fact it was on the road three years before I was born. Welp I dated myself that time didnt I. :wink:

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:53 am

I hear them tocomas are really tpugh. I see more and more around here as work trucks.

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:59 am

TAK wrote: OK I am dumb what is BIODIESEL???????
Willie Nelson is a bigger supporter of BioDiesel & drives a Mercedes diesel that only runs on it. One thing he mention was that the exhaust smells like cooking french fries. When he was asked about any problems with BioDeisel Wille responded "Yeah I passed out with it running & gained 10lbs by morning." :D

Back to the post I drive a 96 Dodge 4X4 5.9 motor & don't pass a lot of gas stations. I get 10-12 city 13-15 on the HWY. Considering the prioces of new trucks I will be driving the ol' Dodge for a while. Which I can live with as Mopar blood has run through my viens for a long time. My first car was a 70 Challenger & up til 1998 I have always had a muscle car in the garage.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:02 pm

f-250 powerstroke 6.0. TAK you are getting a lot better fuel mileage than i 18.5 all around. you can get the cummins or cat in a ford but you have to go to a 450 and up. i think the tundra in a diesel is going to be a big seller. also i think the duramax motor is made by isuzu? check out the fuel mileage in the vw diesel.
Last edited by llewgor on Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

tfbirddog2

FORD!!!

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:37 pm

I am a Ford Truck man.My 93 has 144K on it still going strong.It has had its fixes.I drive a 01 GMC(GM)2500HD for work it has 101k on it an with the 6.0 4x4 an my old run down Blue Oval gets around better bar none.Convinced new boss to by ford next year, something that doesn't sit so low and ride like a lumber wagon.I grandfather worked for Chysler for 30 years.So I do like my Rams had one when I started with the company it had 201k when I got it and it was a stronger truck than my HD. Just got rid of Durango for a venture for more room for two little girls and MPGs.I'll have my new Crew cab 4x4 Powerstroke before long that is my true truck of choice.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:22 pm

CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG HA HA HA LOL
you want reliability and mpg go japanese
you want power ford or dodge (american)
you want to spend an extra 10k then chitty chitty is for you but I plan on getting a dodge cummins by the time october rolls around.
my 81 Toy is starting to need some work after more than 400k and some baja type driving has work some things loose but it starts every morning and purrs like a cat

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:35 am

<<<<Still smiling seeing that FORD is winning the poll>>>>
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:02 am

Casper wrote: my 81 Toy is starting to need some work after more than 400k and some baja type driving has work some things loose but it starts every morning and purrs like a cat
Dang! My wife read that and now it'll be another 100k miles before she'll let me get a new Toyota. I'd had her talked into letting me get a new one at 300k (160k now).

Best,

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:46 am

We have a Ford Econoline Van, powerstroke, holds all our dogs and pulls our camper. I love it!
brenda

Casper

Post by Casper » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:48 pm

Dang! My wife read that and now it'll be another 100k miles before she'll let me get a new Toyota. I'd had her talked into letting me get a new one at 300k (160k now).

Best,[/quote]

Bring that Toy out to NV and let me drive it for a weekend she'll want a new one by the time you get home :D

gone

Oh what a feeling :D

Post by gone » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Gotta go with Toyota They'll run forever. I am buying an '82 w/141,000 miles w/out any qualms or worries. I wish I could afford a new Taco, but then I would have to get rid of the independant suspension.

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:03 am

I had an 84 F-150 with a 300 I-6 and a C6 auto tranny that I sold with 250,000 miles on it. Granted i replaced the engine at roughly 210,000 because it started smokin and burnin oil and I may have babied a few thousand more out if it but just relaced it instead of putting off the inevitable.
The tranny had never been apart or touched other than to unbolt it when replacing an engine and servicing it every 30-40,000 miles.
tranny was as strong as any I have ever driven.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:07 pm

Sheesh! Not a single GM guy here or did I miss the post?

I'll buck the trend and admit I have an '02 2500HD Crew Cab. Mileage is terrible (4.10 rear end/6.0 gas motor). I'm pulling 12.5-13mpg whether I do 55 or 80. Dang thing will pull a house off it's foundation though!

My "dream truck" right now is a new '05 GMC 2500 w/Duramax & Allison tranny. I like Fords and have had a few over the years, and the Cummins is a killer motor for Dodge, but for all around package, I vote GM.

* Also have an '02 GMC Yukon XL. The wife loves it!

gone

Post by gone » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:49 pm

My dream truck is the same as yours Jake, But it will be dream for a long time. I love the Duramax & that will be my Krawler Hauler one day/huntin' truck.

rosiesdad

Post by rosiesdad » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:21 pm

Other, but GMC.
Only two seasons, bird season and getting ready for bird season

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:37 am

I have a toy truck right now. 02 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Supercharged V6 4x4. Nice little ride, but not enough towing capacity for my likes. I will either be getting a Titan with a flex motor or a Tundra with diesel or Flex motor. I have an ethanol station 3 blocks from my house.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:53 am

I'm going diesel for my next truck. I really think biodiesel will make more of an impact than ethanol until we begin to run on 100% ethanol like Brazil. Also, diesel is 40% more efficient. That doesn't equate into 40% better gas milage because diesel trucks usually weigh a lot more, but they do get somewhat better milage.

Also, can't beat the towing capacity!
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:28 am

the pro field trial handlers almost all run Fords, for the diesel engine. they are pulling big rigs.

i am a chevy suburban type person.

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:40 am

04 Dodge Durango. It has the 4.7 not the Hemi. I consistantly get 18.5mpg combined. I can put two large crates side x side in the back plus all my gear. I had pickups before this and have found that this suits my needs better for me. I also think that any vehicle that hauls dogs to the field is a great vehicle!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:48 am

Why not just buy a chap hatchback car for cheap and use that. I got one for like 200 bucks and will run it till it dies then get somthing better.

The nice thing about a cheapy is that you dont care if you dent the pannels or bust a fender is was 200 bucks.

Oh ya best yote vehicle too.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:43 am

Ryan wrote:Why not just buy a chap hatchback car for cheap and use that.
Have a hard time pulling the 16 foot stock trailer, two 1200 pound horses, dogs, tack and 3 days of water (at 25 gallons per day) with a hatch-back....

PAHunter

Post by PAHunter » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:56 pm

My wife’s grandfather did every thing with style the man would take his brand new Lincoln Town Car out hunting. He'd open the trunk look at his Brittany say kennel and it would jump right in the trunk, then he'd shut the lid! To each their own!

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm

GMC for sure.

Mav.....

Mntngoat

Post by Mntngoat » Thu May 04, 2006 2:56 pm

While it's not mine, mine is nearly identical except for color and height!

Michael

gusto

Post by gusto » Thu May 04, 2006 5:24 pm

TOYOTA. Was Ford my whole life but once i drove the Toy it was all over. You cant kill them and the resale value is the best, because they are the best.

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Fri May 05, 2006 1:01 pm

I've owned 2 Fords in my life. Both were junk.
If you want a truck that thinks it's a car, and you can buy one every 3 years, then a ford's for you.
I need my truck to actually be able to do truck things, like tow and carry over 500 lbs, so I have a 1 ton dually dodge diesel.
I have a jeep wrangler for running back and forth to work.
When it's hunting or camping time, the dodge is always there to get the job done.

I've owned a lot of Chevys in the past as well and have no problems going back to them.
I just love that cummins motor though.

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Fri May 05, 2006 2:41 pm

I had a Tahoe, was getting about 15mgp in it.

I went to a ford dealer and ran into a friend/sales person and was sorely mistaken when I made the offer to buy a vehicle from him if it would fit 2 kennels, have 4x4 or awd and still get 24+ mpg... I now own a Ford Freestyle which they call a crossover vehicle(station wagon), it has a 6 in it and has a variable rate transmission that makes it silk smooth. I get 23-26 mpg running in town and highway. When I pull my dog trailer i still get 18-22 depending on terrain.

I was always a Chevy guy but I really like this vehicle, it isnt a truck per say but it does everything I ask of it and is comfertable to boot. I must say I really like it. The 6 person seating is nice with kids also.

Regards,

Rob

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri May 05, 2006 2:45 pm

i have had three suburbans. the first one, a 1983 3/4 ton 6.2 L diesel, had 296,000 on it when i gave it to one of my brothers. the second, a '95 3/4 ton 6.5 L diesel, had 230,000 when I traded it in on my current one. Now i have gas.... i mean my suburban does. 2005 1/2 ton. all have hauled horse trailers, bumper pull, and done a good job of it.

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Tue May 09, 2006 1:01 pm

this applies to work vans, too? I've driven all three for various companies, & Ford holds up the best. One company had an entire fleet of GMC Savana's, & about 1/2 of them got cracks in the windshield running across the bottom, all i n the same place. They were also notorious for bad fuel gauges. Dodges, no thanks. The a/c always crapped out. Not to mention poor visibility from the cockpit. That, & they're just junky.

Definitely a Ford man.

whiteruger

Post by whiteruger » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:11 am

We had a Toyota that was the best truck ever, never broke down. Having a teenager get his licence fixed that truck fast :lol: First someone backed into it, then he rolled it. My husband bought it back from the insurance co. and had the roof pushed back and a new window to use for a hunting truck. Then the son blew up the engine. We have a Chevy now, need something big to pull horses, & the boat. The youngest son has a 63 Chevy truck with only a little over 100 thousand original miles. We are only the second owners. We had a Ford Expedition for a while and I loved it but we had a problem, after the accident we had to sign papers that we would not talk bad about Ford :oops: personally I think they are all basically good. I love my Chevy but we only get about 12 MPG and with the nearest store being 20 miles I drive the mini van :lol: Walmart is 100 miles!!!