Best Side X Side

Chukar Chaser

Best Side X Side

Post by Chukar Chaser » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:39 pm

What do you think the best side X side is for $1000 - $1500? I'm thinking about getting one and would like your opinions.

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Best Side X Side

Post by snips » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Rick is a sxs guy and says he likes the Ringneck CZ sidelock.
brenda

Grouse Dog Guy

Post by Grouse Dog Guy » Thu May 01, 2008 9:59 am

snips wrote:Rick is a sxs guy and says he likes the Ringneck CZ sidelock.
The ringneck has false side plates, it is not a true sidelock.

I have several ugartechea and aya's that I like very much but I have heard that the cz (huglu) are pretty nice.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Thu May 01, 2008 4:33 pm

If you are talking about new or recently-manufactured used without a doubt Ugartechea is your best bet.

The Uggie Model 30 that Lion Country sells is a good value, even with the weak dollar. The used Uggies out there, either sold by them or under a variety of importer names, are real steals. I picked up a Excel model 221 (really, a Uggie model 30 with some cosmetic differences) in the classic English game gun configuration for $500 a few years ago. The craftsmanship in those guns is far above what you see in the recent Turkish imports.

Keep in mind that your dollar doesn't go as far with a SxS as it does with a O/U; the SxS market just isn't as big here in the US and there isn't the "economy of scale" like there is with O/Us.

Other options would be a used SKB; you could get one close to mint condition at $1500. The Fabarms guns imported a few years ago were pretty nice but a bit heavy for an true upland gun IMO. You could also get a Browning BSS or maybe a Beretta GR-3 or older Silver Hawk in that price range assuming you are looking for a 12 gauge.

JMO,
Dave

Wilber

Post by Wilber » Fri May 02, 2008 9:06 pm

For the money I don't think you can beat a CZ. I owned a CZ Bobwhite 12 ga. and now have a Bobwhite 28 ga. For fit and finish there's not a gun out there (that I found) that can match them. I paid about $700 for each one. I looked at an AYA for about 4 times as much and was not persuaded it was worth it. The CZ's look good and shoot where you point them. It's not the "best" sxs I own, but it is one I can drop and not swear about it.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri May 02, 2008 9:43 pm

That would put you in the range of a decent AH Fox Sterlingworth, I think.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri May 02, 2008 9:51 pm

I agree with Dave, the Uggies are a good option as are some of the Beretta's. and for 1000 - 1500 you can find a nice used Beretta for that. As Dave said a GR-3 or a Silver hawk and some 626's are some options.

Chip

kstitz

Post by kstitz » Thu May 29, 2008 6:52 am

I have used a CZ for the past two seasons that I paid $750. I thought it was a great gun until I purchased a used Uggie for the same price. The Uggie is lighter, slimmer, handles, points and swings much better than the CZ.

Kelly