Political Section

Should we add a political section to GDF for political posts related to our dogs?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 38

grant
GDF Junkie

Political Section

Post by grant » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:55 pm

Should we add a political section to GDF for political posts related to our dogs?

Please vote and support your answer with a post.

If we open a political section, my questions would be:

- Can we keep political topics under control?
- By posting political posts, do we bring unwanted attention to GDF?

Grant

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:58 pm

I guess I started it off by voting "No", but now that I give it a little thought it was kind of a "knee jerk" reaction due to the words "political" given all the politics as usual BS on the airwaves these days.

To do it justice though, what do you mean by "political posts related to our dogs".....give me a 'fer instance!

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:00 pm

I'm referring to the groups of individuals who try to shut hunting, events, etc. down...

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:28 pm

OK....after I thought about it, figured that was where you were heading...just a little slow tonight!!! I change my vote to "YES"....or would if someone could show me the good ol' "Undo" button! :)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:40 pm

i think it would be good to know what legislation is being brought up that directly effects our dog and hunting and trialing
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:56 am

Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't call it a Politics section as it invites people to debate all things political. Call it Hunting Rights or something - allowable topics include animal-related legislation, hunting/trial grounds, (ie, loss of Kildeer and Indian Creek for FT's), and perhaps gun control.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:49 am

I am all for it, as our 1st enjoyment is hunting, and we make our living dog training. They are moving in on all of us. Being aware of what is out there cannot be a bad thing. I would title it simply, Legislation.
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:25 am

How about Animal Rights as a title? That might give us a narrower focus and make it easier to control.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:34 am

phermes1 wrote:Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't call it a Politics section as it invites people to debate all things political. Call it Hunting Rights or something - allowable topics include animal-related legislation, hunting/trial grounds, (ie, loss of Kildeer and Indian Creek for FT's), and perhaps gun control.
I like the hunting rights title. Another board started a political section and one of the last things that gets talked about is hunting rights, etc.
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:27 am

Most of Eagle Rocks post are not about hunting rights but rather about dogs. I don't think there is such a thing as hunting rights. We need to keep it broad enough to cover all of our dogs but also have definate boundries if you don't want to cover all politics.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:22 am

It's very difficult to keep a political forum from spilling over into things that are NOT dog related. You mods will stay busy keeping it between the diches no matter what you name it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:39 am

Cotton,

You are right and it may not be worth it. What concerns me is that there are two things that directly affect us more than any other and those are politics and religion. But because they are so important and people get passionatrly involved we are not supposed to talk about them. That to me says we are shooting ourselves in the foot because it is better to not know than to know and express whatever knowledge you might have.

I understand the reluctance to be involved on a board like this but in every case where it is allowed it is the most popular topic. So I see a need for it and if we make a seperate area for it then those that are not interested will not have to partake or even look at it.

Ezzy

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:15 am

I vote yes.

Suggest "GunDog Event, Hunting & Ownership Legislation"

Mark

P.S. or "GunDog Event, Hunting & Ownership Advocacy"
Last edited by BigShooter on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Idaho Outlaw

Post by Idaho Outlaw » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:42 pm

I vote "yes".

Most every forum I am on, has a political section. By puting one on here, we will keep this stuff off of the General Discussion section, and when I'm in the mood for political related topic's, I can go look for it.

I don't think you will see that much attention because of one. I may be wrong, but I doubt it will have much support. Eaglelock or whatever his name is (no offence), is about the only person I see throwing anything out there.

It will have to be moderated pretty heavy, and if none of the fella's are interested in keeping tabs on it, I wouldn't put it in.

My .02

JessW

Post by JessW » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:06 pm

I sit on a town council for a very small community and it would be nice to have a place to get feedback on odinances and/or legislation from people around the country that may know what works, what doesn't and why.

It does seem that the loudest voices on the subject are not real advocates of pets and pet owners at all.

I like BigShooters' name suggestions.

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:02 pm

I tend to agree with HighCotton.

It might work but would take some serious moderating, I believe.

Also, I think everyone (including those that really want such a forum) should go in with both eyes and minds open.

MANY issues related to dogs that people post here are not as simple as they seem on the surface--i.e. there can be some valid criticism out there.

Sometimes the people posting the info don't like that much and don't behave well, including some well known or long term members--I have found.

I know of at least one very successful board that won't go down this road for fear of damaging friendships, having to give the boot to longtime members, etc.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:04 pm

Maybe start off by letting the information be posted and lock the topic and If anyone has questions they can pm in private

there is just to much stuff which is literally flooding the legislation which if we do not stay informed and know where to write email ...one day we will not longer be able to walk our dogs or put them in a crate because there will be a law against it
no more stake outs
no harrassing wildlife aka hunting

or even be selective as to who can post to start...eaglerock when he posts has information with contacts and so far everything i ahve seen from him has been directly related to what will directly effect us

maybe leave the more informative ones be open...and the ones controversial lock them...

we can no longer to pretend it isn't going to effect us....we better stand up for what we enjoy before the antis take it all away
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:33 pm

I added it! Thanks for the feedback!