What gun dog breed do you currently own and why?

What gun dog breed do you currently own and why?

German Shorthair Pointer
30%
English/Llewelin Setter
11%
Brittany
14%
Vizsla
4%
English Pointer
11%
Weimaraner
3%
German Wirehair/Drahthaar
6%
Griffon
1%
German Longhair
0%
Gordon Setter
1%
Munsterlander
2%
Labrador
7%
Chesapeake
1%
Golden Retriever
1%
Other
8%

Total votes: 674

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: What gun dog breed do you currently own and why?

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:30 am

I have a Spinone pretty much for the same reason Ezzy likes his Brits. The mix of moderate energy in the field and low energy in the house is perfect for me, as is the sweeter-than-honey disposition. He is as accurate as any other albeit at a slower pace and closer proximity. The large size might not be for everyone.

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:14 pm

Springer man here. Haven't read all the posts but I'm on my 5th springer in 29 years. I can't imagine a higher level of devotion. My 9 month old put up his first wild quail yesterday and he couldn't have been more proud. I call them companion hunters. They have a desire to do everything well- except point of course. If I had a pointer he would be sitting on a bush long after the covey was gone because these California quail don't wait for you to get into position. I read about you guys wanting collars that work in a miles range. That just doesn't work here. If I can keep my dog in gun range he will cover everything I can shoot. Most of the time shots are between 20 and 30 yards and you have less than 1 second before cover obscures your quarry. When I hunted ducks my dogs were more than eager to get wet. If I missed I had to deal with their disparaging looks. My new pup will swim under water to chase a bumper, or cavort with the neighbors grandkids in the pool. When I get home he can still cozy up to my wife- if he isn't falling asleep next to me after a satisfying hunt. We all have our preferences. My dogs have helped fill my life beyond my expectations. Tomorrow when I get up Trap will be at the door wanting to go- not caring where.

regards-
Calisdad

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re:

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:21 pm

ohiogsp wrote:You are going to see a large number of gsp owners here. Reason is cause they are the best. :lol:

Especially when they've been crossed with some Ep , preferably close up :o :D
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

tailcracken

Post by tailcracken » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 pm

I own eps y because i want ground covered!I like how quick ,snappy,when on point how there tail is staight up and when running i like how there tail cracks. They can hunt all day not saying other dogs dont but by 5 or 6 hours most dogs are feet up in the air!Did i fail to mention TOUGH. i THINK THAT COVERS IT DIDNT KNOW THERE WAS ANOTHER BREED.LOL

tailcracken

Re: Re:

Post by tailcracken » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:46 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
ohiogsp wrote:You are going to see a large number of gsp owners here. Reason is cause they are the best. :lol:

Especially when they've been crossed with some Ep , preferably close up :o :D
WELL SAID I HAVE A PUP OUT OF YOUR DOG SHOWN WOW WHAT A NATURAL RETREIVER UNREALTHE GOBOY ICON LITTER THE PUP WITH THE ALL LIVER HEAD

knowlzy1824

Post by knowlzy1824 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 am

Labs are the way for me, I will eventually branch out to other breeds but the first dog I attempted to train was a lab and he worked out well. He is only a retriever but not like we have much for upland here anyway but he works great for the waterfowl. To be honest, the only time and reason I go is to watch my dog work. He is great for small game too. This year I'm hoping to put him to the test and get him to retrieve a turkey haha.

vabrittfan

Post by vabrittfan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:43 pm

I have owned Brittanys my entire life. My parents had a 4 year old male when I was born and so I blame my obsession on them. :D
N-Vee Brittanys
(near Roanoke, VA)
http://www.nveebrittanys.com

Bigg_Redd

Post by Bigg_Redd » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:56 am

I just put my old guy down after 13 years. He was Brit/Golden Retriever mix. I got him because he was free and I was broke at the time and I thought he'd hunt, which he did.

But honestly I love all dogs. If they hunt, chase a tennis ball, and bite the sh_t out of a lowlife trying to make off with my stuff, so much the better.

madonna

Post by madonna » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:24 am

Hallo! I breed DK- not GSP but Deutsch-Kurzhhaar, because they are the perfect allrounder for every kind of hunting work for me. and- they look great, like children, Greeting madonna
The woman, who plays with the pups

gunnersmom

Post by gunnersmom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:35 am

I have a Weim. I love him for his quickness, intelligence and his overall lovability. Since he is my first bird dog and also my companion dog it seems a good fit.

Chris

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Been through several breeds but eventually found my way to an EP, and doubt I will look back. More natural pointing and backing, athleticism, endurance, and very easy to train. Gets along well with other dogs, never had a dogfight with him yet. Great companion around the house as well. Maintenance-free coat, lots of style, and better at retrieving and water work than they are typically given credit for. I like setters, too, but the coat is a lot of work.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:46 pm

I own a DD and 2 Britts. Britts are just bird finding machines with GREAT personalities.They eat almost nothing, and hunt dead very well. DDs are truly the most versatile dogs I've seen. They can handle cold temps better than any dog with the exception of labs, goldens, chessies, allowing them to retrieve in cold water and hunt all day in very cold weather. Surprisingly, the heat hasn't bothered her as much as I anticipated. DDs are just really tough dogs, and are the best watch dogs out of the bird dogs I have ever seen. I will always own both, but I would love to own almost every breed.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Lemonpointer

Post by Lemonpointer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:25 am

I was adding to our family but did not want to do it long distance. Searched the internet for gun dog breeders within driving distance and then narrowed down the breed from there ... So far so good .. No real disapointments yet ! :D

PointerOwner

Post by PointerOwner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:41 pm

I own an English Pointer, and I own one because I have yet to hunt behind another breed that has as much drive and hunt as an English Pointer. I don't think I will ever find another breed that can top an English Pointer. In fact I will be getting an English Pointer Pup come April out of the Elhew Strike and Snakefoot Pedigree.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:09 am

Right now I have a GSP and a Lab/GWP cross.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:18 pm

Grew up with Britts and other spaniels, splendid dogs, but always kind of wanted a GSP. So we were between a GSP and a Britt. February we were going to head down to Iowa to pick up a GSP pup but we got hit with a weekend blizzard and didn't make it. Monday morning at work I got an email from a client saying that she was trying to find a home for a puppy for one of her friends. So I asked her to email over some info and pics. She sends the info and the puppy turns out to be a GSP/Springer mix. The family that had the puppy just didn't have the time and devotion for her, she spent most of her time crated up. We couldn't believe it, a mix of the two dogs that we really wanted. We met Jersey that night and ended up taking her home. She was 6 months when we got her. So far she's been a great little pooch! We couldn't imagine our lives without her!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Lab, because I hunt waterfowl as well as upland birds and that's what works for me.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:28 pm

I have Drahthaar...breed them too....duck hunt quite a bit and enjoy some Hasenpfeffer during the winter months...really enjoy tracking lost deer for a local club-wish we got to do more of it...breed fits my style (I like ugly!!!)....comfortable foothunting versatile dog.

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:10 pm

Come Sunday it will be a American Brittany. Why: I guess because I've had EP's my whole life and want to try a differant breed and try raising my first bird dog from pup on up. Variety is the spice of life after all, right?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:36 am

I chose the Brittany for his medium size and grouse hunting. Fits in the car and home nicely yet goes like heck in the woods.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

dodgerfan175

Post by dodgerfan175 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:32 pm

I own a Lab because they're better than GSPs, there I said it. :D :wink:
"I Always Tell The Truth Even When I Lie"

"Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun."

r nickell

Post by r nickell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:56 pm

I have a mixed herd a Shorthair and a Griff. Happened to be what was availble at the shelters when I wanted a dog.
W.W.T.G.D.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:00 pm

terrym wrote:I chose the Brittany for his medium size and grouse hunting. Fits in the car and home nicely yet goes like heck in the woods.
Just to clearify, a Brittany is a small dog not a medium sized dog. Any animal under 35lbs is a rodent not a dog IMO. :D

Thinking

Post by Thinking » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Pudelpointer, because I am a foot hunter, and hunt a mix of waterfowl, big game, bunnies and upland. He's the right breed for all of the hunting I do. He's a machine in the bush, but good (well, sometimes anyways, he's just turned a year) with my girls.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:09 am

I've been around many breeds, really like the pointing breeds but the English Setters are so graceful looking to watch. Always be a setter guy.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:57 pm

MC,
We have several different Grouse dog breeds in our home kennel, Gorden Setters, Ryman Setters, Smalll Munsterlanders and one Weimar pup, we just lost a fantastic
KS, GSP to old age, and sold an Irish (Red) Setter. I checked the other block for ya. I train Grouse dogs of all different pointing breeds and love them all for different reasons.
RGD/Dave

Birddawg

Post by Birddawg » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:28 am

Britts, 2 of em. Based on ability, size, willingness to please, heart, and pure grit.
BUT, the BEST dog,,,,,,,,,,is the one that works for YOU!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:22 pm

3Britts wrote: And lets face it, they are, as my wife puts it, just better looing than the other gundogs. Proof of the good looking part is seen in the following story. My 14 year old son wanted to get the attention of a certain girl done the road so he took our male Britt for a walk past her house. His friend saw him walking by and decided to join his with his gsp. When they were passing the girl's house, they noticed that she was outside talking to several of her girlfiends. They all came over and started petting our Britt and ignored the gsp. Three girls focusing on one dogs and his owner. Now, those are odds any boy can live with.
Looks are subjective. My wife loves the way my EPs look, and thinks Britts (and other dock tailed breeds) look funny.

(I know it's an old post, but I rarely venture over here and felt like being difficult :mrgreen: )
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:23 pm

displaced_texan wrote:
3Britts wrote: And lets face it, they are, as my wife puts it, just better looing than the other gundogs. Proof of the good looking part is seen in the following story. My 14 year old son wanted to get the attention of a certain girl done the road so he took our male Britt for a walk past her house. His friend saw him walking by and decided to join his with his gsp. When they were passing the girl's house, they noticed that she was outside talking to several of her girlfiends. They all came over and started petting our Britt and ignored the gsp. Three girls focusing on one dogs and his owner. Now, those are odds any boy can live with.
Looks are subjective. My wife loves the way my EPs look, and thinks Britts (and other dock tailed breeds) look funny.

(I know it's an old post, but I rarely venture over here and felt like being difficult :mrgreen: )
I would say that you should get your wife to an eye doctor quickly.

Birddawg

Post by Birddawg » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:09 pm

nikegundog wrote:
terrym wrote:I chose the Brittany for his medium size and grouse hunting. Fits in the car and home nicely yet goes like heck in the woods.
Just to clearify, a Brittany is a small dog not a medium sized dog. Any animal under 35lbs is a rodent not a dog IMO. :D
Lol, my female Britt is 36 lbs and my male about 39. I would not consider either of them small. I think the AKC describes them as a medium size dog. I think you were kidding, just not sure. I would consider my min schnauzer a small dog.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Birddawg - I love that dog in your avatar!

Birddawg

Post by Birddawg » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:32 pm

rkappes wrote:Birddawg - I love that dog in your avatar!
Thank you! Thats Ace. He is 1 1/2 yrs old, and currently in training.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:08 pm

I own a GSP. She was a gift.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:36 pm

English Setter because I like them.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

elkhuntingfool

Post by elkhuntingfool » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:47 pm

English Pointer because I love the range they have, the energy they have, the stylish pointing they have - and I just find them an attractive dog - very lean and muscle bound - unlike me :mrgreen:

Not knocking any breeds - just an EP fan. But a good bird dog no matter the breeding is fine by me as well.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:07 am

Got a lab cause I was in the right place at the right time.

She hunts well for me out on my own, finds all the birds I need.
When hunting with my buddies (who have GSP's and Wiems) they do the pointing, and my lab does the flushing and retrieving. It's an awesome combo and works well for all of us.

Prob picking up a Lab/German Wirehair cross pup tonight, so we'll see how that goes.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:01 pm

I have a GSP because I've always been a shorthair guy. The hunting talent is a given, but the low-maintenance coat is a bonus here in burr & beggar tick country. I also have a setter because I found him abandoned as a puppy. He was mistreated, neglected, and abused, and now I seem to be stuck with him. He's a good dog though - loves birds and shows some promise, so we'll see if somebody's garbage turns out to be another man's treasure. He's a pretty good duck dog too, just loves the water.

The setter breed is really growing on me; I might just turn into a setter guy...

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:48 am

I train and board all breeds of hunting dogs. There aren`t too many I haven`t worked with and I can own any breed I want. But the Vizsla is the best for me. They are very smart, very clean, easy to train, beautiful either on point or sleeping, mine have a muscular build, smooth coat that allows me to hunt in temps from below zero to 100 degrees, no burrs, no wet face dripping on me and the floor, I don`t have to clip hair between their toes to prevent them from freezing up in the winter. I can see a tick on them from 10 ft. away. I can see them in the snow. They are camouflaged in the fall when needed. Great personality and temperament. Get along fine with other dogs. Love people and great with kids. Love to please and are very animated, have a natural retrieve and great pointing instinct and style. Very athletic and can hunt all day be it cold or hot. Not to big and not too small. Will hunt land and water, will point fur and does not kill game. I trained two of my Vizslas too NAVHDA PZ1 UT using one duck, and when we passed the test I took the duck down too the river and let him go. My duck bill {cost] was $10. Try it with any other breed.
I used to own a couple of Setters and still have a soft spot for them, they are very nice dogs. But once I tried the Vizsla it was all over. :D

ScottB

Post by ScottB » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:51 pm

I have a labrador because the only bird hunting i do is ducks, and my uncle has trained labs in his day and this is my first dog to train by myself

nebraskabirdman

Post by nebraskabirdman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:43 pm

English (Field) Cocker!! 8)
If you can read this, Thank a Teacher
If you can read this in English, Thank a Veteran
OIF Vet. U.S. Army
Combat Engineer

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:58 pm

I have had all the of the Setter breeds. Love them all.

But I have really come to love the Llewellins that I have now. They hunt with a style speed and class that is 2nd to none in my book. They can go all day at speed, but are great in the house. (Except when they see me getting the hunting cloths and gun out :D )

My 3 year old Ace

Indy at 4 months backing

Indy at 6 months pointing a covey of quail
Steve

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:18 am

I have an English Pointer... She was the runt and was given to me... Great pedigree but she just didn't make the cut or have the lines for trials... Always had Labs, but was looking for an upland pointing dog... I wanted an English Setter, but I wouldn't trade this crazy pup for anything now!.. :D At one point or another I've owned An English Sheepdog, a Beagle, a Collie, and a couple of Labs... I've really fallen in love with just about all of the pointing breeds tho!.. :D
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

nebraskabirdman

Post by nebraskabirdman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:44 pm

I was wondering why the English Cocker Spainel isn't on the list. They are great upland game dogs and are good rabbit dogs too.

I guess I'm just partial to them since I hunt with one! :roll:
If you can read this, Thank a Teacher
If you can read this in English, Thank a Veteran
OIF Vet. U.S. Army
Combat Engineer

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:29 pm

There used to be a Gundog Forum limit of fifteen choices for surveys. Later surveys were allowed more options.

My grandfather's last hunting dog was a cocker. It's nice to hear folks are still using the breed for its intended purpose.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:38 pm

I own four labs and just put a deposit on GSP pup. I have had shorthairs before and loved them but got so busy training retreivers I didn't have time for a pointer. I have trained Labs, Goldens, Flat Coats, Chessys, and one Curly Coat, I have owned Labs and GSP's. I love all breeds if they are good working dogs.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:17 pm

Gentlemen,
Maybe they should rename this forum, the GSP forum, might be more fitting.
RGD/Dave

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:57 am

you are right,dave.funny, i hunt woods in your area[POTTER] near crossforks,oleona,ole bull,clinton,lycoming,centre,cameron,UNTIL GAS PRICES GOT NUTS.
very seldom i saw a GSP.most are SETTERS,LABS,SPRINGERS,BEAGLES.

i hunt SGL252 in lycoming co. with toby my lab.
very seldom do i see a GSP .most is LABS/SPRINGERS/SETTERS.

boy do those SPRINGERS put the pheasants up.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:15 am

SetterNut wrote:I have had all the of the Setter breeds. Love them all.

But I have really come to love the Llewellins that I have now. They hunt with a style speed and class that is 2nd to none in my book. They can go all day at speed, but are great in the house. (Except when they see me getting the hunting cloths and gun out :D )

My 3 year old Ace

Indy at 4 months backing

Indy at 6 months pointing a covey of quail

i like smaller size of lew vrs the bigger ryman lines.they do seem to hunt closer,only what i saw but they may have come from training, dont know but i have seen it.

they are very nice .

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:31 am

Jim K,

I leave the Cross Forks area along Kettle Creek for Mike and Jeff to Grouse and Woodcock hunt, because I spend so much time on the mountain, and both these men have to work many many hours as I did at their age, I try to make sure they have coverts that are not to spooky, especially sence Mikes boy is just getting his feet wet in the Grouse woods. Jeff also has a new GSP he picked up this past year,
suppose to be a real nice dog, I have not seen it yet however, so you have a few men with good German dogs in the Cross Fork area already. I know what you mean about the gas cost, when they were working on West branch Road we really burnt up some money traveling to coverts to train and hunt.

RGD/Dave

There are also other great Setters besides the ES, the Gordon Grouse dog takes a back seat in the Grouse woods to no other dog,
we are also looking at a Irish Red & White Setter to add to our Grouse dog Kennel. We will see how they handle the Grouse woods and our birds. However everyman who owns and English Setter should own a Gordon Setter Grouse Dog also.
Pine Creek Penny on Grouse point
Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:13 pm

This is my first bird dog a GSP. So far he has been the best dog I have ever owned (previously beagles.... Love em daschund.... love them too) I needed a versatile breed since I also hunt ducks and deer. He is very intelligent and loving. Right now he is off with a trainer hopefully he will think he has what it takes for NSTRA.