15%
nutro
5%
other: Please Post Brand Below
33%

Total votes: 627

earlthepearl

Post by earlthepearl » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:12 pm

I just switched all my guys over to Eagle Pack. Its working out great.

TheShadow

Post by TheShadow » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:20 pm

I just met someone today that told me during hunt season he feeds his dog the ultra expensive Orijen. I have never heard of this brand but the local feed store does sell it. Its too expensive at $70 for a 30lb bag. :o i guess he feeds canidae for most of the year but Orijen during work season.

i thought i read some of you feed this food, is it really that good? it seems like too much protein to me. and the price is outrageous.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:34 pm

Sure looks to me like it's made for the owner, not the dog.

42% protein? 16% fat?

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/ ... lysis.aspx

Regards, Greg J.

FFDGSP

dog Food

Post by FFDGSP » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:00 am

Just started my GSP on Kent's Native 3.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:11 pm

Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:50 pm

Decide not to read every posting. I us Kirkland brand. I get it at CostCo. It does everything that the major brands do and contains no Corn or Wheat products. My dogs look great and preform great. Whats more, they love the taste. What more can I ask for? :D

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:56 am

TheShadow wrote:I just met someone today that told me during hunt season he feeds his dog the ultra expensive Orijen. I have never heard of this brand but the local feed store does sell it. Its too expensive at $70 for a 30lb bag. :o i guess he feeds canidae for most of the year but Orijen during work season.

i thought i read some of you feed this food, is it really that good? it seems like too much protein to me. and the price is outrageous.
It's just another expensive holistic brand. Much like Innova EVO. They are probably good feeds but unless the money is burning a hole in your pocket and you feel the need to pay that much it is not needed. There are plenty of others for far less money. Too each his own though.

I have been feeding Kent feeds new Native line of food. The level 3 formula for my young male seems to be working fine.

grousehunter08

Post by grousehunter08 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:54 pm

I use california natural is a nice food for dogs with sensitive tummys like shorthairs do

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Innova.....and sometimes mix in a little Solid Gold (I think that's what it's called).

(4/22/08 Update): Switching over to TOTW High Prairie formula. Hate to feed the same old thing all the time. Pup seems excited about it. Don't know that I will stick with it for very long....I think it is made by Diamond and I'm not necessarily a fan of theirs...
Last edited by PrairieGoat on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcbuch

Post by jcbuch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:39 pm

I use praire with raw turkey for my dogs

bnjburgess

Post by bnjburgess » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:06 pm

Innova...for great info look at dogfoodanalysis.com

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:35 am

bnjburgess wrote:Innova...for great info look at dogfoodanalysis.com
That site is about as bogus as can be. Examples of its false information can be found on this thread: http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11719
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:42 pm

If my new llewellin pups likes it, then Eukanuba will be her food.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:33 am

Other: Abady Classic
A good bird dog is always the right color

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:37 am

Chaingang,
I use the orijen adult food with my dog and he does great with it. He likes it better than any other food that I have tried. But you would be paying way to much for it at 70 a bag. I pay low 50 a bag. It is expensive, but it is really less than a dollar a day to feed your dog. I feel like that will not brake me.

Brandon

Rodger

Post by Rodger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:54 am

Ehance - Prof Athelete, Hunters Edge & Adult Maint.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:30 pm

Exceed
Dog On Point!!

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:29 pm

Nutro
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:49 am

All these dog food threads are crazy.....

Just feed your dog what YOU think is good.If the dog does well on it stick to it.

I feed Innova and Evolve puppy.

They also get some shredded cheese and I buy those rotisserie chickens.The chicken I just grind up and mix in.Now the chicken and the cheese isnt a large amount,just enough to get there taste buds going and they eat every bit of there food and are in tip top shape.

daddyfid

Re: Dog Food

Post by daddyfid » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:09 am

My lab and GSP do great on Diamond

point to retrieve

Post by point to retrieve » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:52 pm

I thought there was only one brand food made.
Eukanuba

The only versatile dog food there is.

Puppy
Large Breed
Sporting
It is the only food for me,and my Lab's,GSP's,and DD ! :D

jeogsp

Post by jeogsp » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Native 3...dogs seem to be doing real well on it.

GSPGauge

Post by GSPGauge » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:44 pm

Innova :D :D
and he gets chicken and rice, and fresh carrots and veggies, yogurt and eggs. :lol:

Better Birddogs

Post by Better Birddogs » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:56 am

Black Gold trainers blend. Reasonably priced and very potent.

gonehunting4days

Post by gonehunting4days » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:13 pm

I have been useing Native Dog food for a while now and I am very happy with the results.

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:04 pm

Purina pro plan performance has worked really well for me and my dogs. Over the years I have feed a lot of brands and I
Like this one over the others. It seems to get better results with less waste.

brotherbill3

Post by brotherbill3 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:31 pm

We are currently feeding Blue Buffalo, large breed. Its another of the 'holistic' types, but not quite as expensive as some that I've seen. Petsmart carries it; haven't seen it at Petco, but they had added about 4 other 'new' (to me at least) brands recently, including solid gold, some Wellness brand and some "bleep" Van Patten brand. (These, and petco in general, are more expensive around here than petsmart). We had been feeding Hills Science Diet Larger Breed Light ... but apparently Wilson developed an allergy to Corn (I found this odd, he'd been on this for a long time) and he was scratching his ears all to pieces. We switched first to Nutro Max Adult, Large Breed Light; he ate well enough, but was having problems getting it out the other end. So after a few weeks (15 lb bag) of that we switched to the Blue Buffalo and its seems much better. Its more money, but we use less food for the same 'energy level' ... Several of the folks at petsmart said they use it and recommended it. they said it was like comparing 'health food' to mcdonald for the general / grocery store stuff. and all the problems seem to be gone, too.

I have to add - I doubt the dogs would tell us much if we had them do a blind taste test. At least mine wouldn't be helpful. He would eat anything I put in his dish or tossed to him to eat ... oranges :P (check, after pretending is a ball for a few minutes and discovering the tootsie pop center ...) banana? :P yup. broccoli? :( , :P yup. cherry tomato's? gone whole :o . you could put 1/2 cup each of 6 types of food in his path and the only that thats for certain is in 6 minutes, you'd have 6 empty bowls and a dog looking for a walk ...

GSPoindexter

Post by GSPoindexter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:02 am

Blue Buffolo

micha

Post by micha » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:20 pm

foster and smith

ceadmin

Post by ceadmin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:52 am

I used to feed Purina Pro Plan but now I am feeding Native because I choose a level that coincides with the dogs activity level and its the same food so they don't need a transition period. Has worked great for going from a maint. diet to a performance level for hunting season. The dog also poops less because more of the feed is used and I can feed less too, to maintain the dogs weight.
Molon Labe!

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:53 am

Exceed-30/20 during hunting season.
Dog On Point!!

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:33 pm

ProPac Performance.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

northforkecap

Post by northforkecap » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:52 pm

My vet suggested Science Diet for my GSP puppy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:24 pm

Some vets recommend that because they sell it and it has a big markup. It is not the best feed by a long shot though.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:18 pm

I use diamond, it is all I can afford. I would much prefer Innova or Wellness. Blue buffalo is pretty good. I figure Diamond naturals is better than Purina. :mrgreen:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:29 pm

Diamond is one of the best feeds on the market and is very reasonably priced. There are probably more people feeding Diamond or Pro Plan than all the other feeds combined.

I think you have made a good choice and wouldn't be looking for anything else as long as you can get the Diamond feeds.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:23 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Diamond is one of the best feeds on the market and is very reasonably priced. There are probably more people feeding Diamond or Pro Plan than all the other feeds combined.

I think you have made a good choice and wouldn't be looking for anything else as long as you can get the Diamond feeds.

Ezzy

Yes, I am pretty pleased with the Diamond naturals. It is corn free, and my dog is shedding less and shining more. He was on blue buffalo, but good lord that stuff is high dollar. My concern with diamond is their numerous recalls.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:38 pm

Diamond had one well publicized recall a few years ago of feed processed at one of their plants. I don't believe there is a company that has been in business for more than a couple of years that have not had some sort of a problem. That is just part of the business if they have a good quality program that discovers any problems with their production. You always hope they catch them before the product is shipped but occasionally it doesn't showup till later.

I also would not shy from corn as that falls into the old wives tale catagory. Corn always has been and probably always will be an important part of most high quality foods. I do think some cheaper feeds use a little more than they should since it is cheaper than many other ingredients but there is no denying that corn is a wholesome, accessable, and reasonably priced source of very high quality carbs, as well as protien and fat.

Ezzy

northforkecap

Post by northforkecap » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:43 pm

I've been using the Diamond Puppy (purple bag) for the last 2mos or so. My 5 mos GSP looks and acts great (coat, energy, etc.) but after I switched to it, I've noticed some of her BM's are loose and she gases everyone out when she's in the house. Anyone else had these problems? I've thought about asking my vet about when to switch her to the adult mix and see if that changes anything.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:57 am

northforkecap wrote:I've been using the Diamond Puppy (purple bag) for the last 2mos or so. My 5 mos GSP looks and acts great (coat, energy, etc.) but after I switched to it, I've noticed some of her BM's are loose and she gases everyone out when she's in the house. Anyone else had these problems? I've thought about asking my vet about when to switch her to the adult mix and see if that changes anything.
I don't know if this holds for dogs but, my doctor told me, a long time ago, that gas is the sign of a healthy intestinal track.
Besides, I've never met a good dog that didn't gas. 8)

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:04 pm

northforkecap wrote:I've been using the Diamond Puppy (purple bag) for the last 2mos or so. My 5 mos GSP looks and acts great (coat, energy, etc.) but after I switched to it, I've noticed some of her BM's are loose and she gases everyone out when she's in the house. Anyone else had these problems? I've thought about asking my vet about when to switch her to the adult mix and see if that changes anything.
My dog has pretty bad gas, all of the time. And they stink like heck. The loose BM's if they are consistently loose may be some cause for concern, are they soft, or outright runny? If they are runny, head to the vet. Otherwise, just watch for any distension of the stomach, I think gas is to be expected. I have noticed with mine, the more quality the feed, the more quantity of gas. lol.
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Jill's Pedigree- http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2120

KALEBSDAD

Post by KALEBSDAD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:50 pm

Had the same problem with the Diamond purple bag puppy food, very loose stool, I like the Naturals, espeacially the chicken formula,

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Loose stools are practically always caused by over feeding or too much protien. Anytime I have a dog get loose I just cut them back in feed . May even miss a feed so they can get back on schedule. The looser stool is one of the reasons I prefer to feed an adult feed once the puppies get big enough to to eat a larger quanity of feed. I would rather do that than have to keep them too hungryon a puppy food. Its just a day to day thing when you are feeding a growing pup that wants to eat everything it can find. YOu are walking a fine line no matter what you feed.

Ezzy

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:31 pm

HEY Ezzy------ You missed your calling, you should have been a VET.-----Ha Ha----SONNY--- :lol: :lol: :lol:
SON/STARR KENNELS
Son/Starr's Slick---1st Amateur Champion of NSTRA.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:23 am

I use PMI Nutrition, soy free, dogs dont eat as much, less filler, less stools to pick up too :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:34 am

Currently Healthwise Active Adult Chicken&Rice. I switch every few months though.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Didn't Nutro just have another recall?
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Haven't heard of any recalls lately by anyone.

Ezzy

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:50 pm

I think I may have dreamed it, lol. I swear I saw a thread on another forum about a Nutro recall, but I really think it may have been a dream...weird....I think I am a little too obsessed with dogs....:D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:52 pm

Not dogs, just dog food. :roll:

Ezzy