15%
nutro
5%
other: Please Post Brand Below
33%

Total votes: 627

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Thu May 03, 2007 10:27 am

I've changed foods since I posted on her last. I now use Wellness as an overall food and I switch between the chicken and the lamb formulas. I am always looking for a new high protein food with the first four ingredients being meat products for hunting season and days I plan to run them all day in the field. I tend to try and mix it up while still including some of the Wellness in with the high protein foods.

I found this to be useful information in general so I thought I would share it. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/changing_foods.htm

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Thu May 03, 2007 8:41 pm

Canidae

kiddcline

Pedigree

Post by kiddcline » Fri May 04, 2007 8:53 am

Pedigree "large breed" seems to keep my labs shiny and slim and muscular. Not to expensive either.
Cam

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri May 04, 2007 5:11 pm

Canidae for my 10 year old
Nutrisource Super Performance for my 1 year old.

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Sat May 05, 2007 6:52 am

Evanger's Super Premium, pheasant and brown rice.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat May 05, 2007 11:32 pm

smilinicon wrote:Evanger's Super Premium, pheasant and brown rice.
Pheasant and brown rice ?? thats got to be pricey !!

Walker

Post by Walker » Sun May 13, 2007 3:38 pm

Here's the menu: Solid Gold, Canidae, Pro Plan, Diamond, Eagle Pack. There are a lot of good feeds out there! We have been happy with several others over the years. These are what we currently use because of palatibility, results, and availability in our area. And they all fit the budget. Never buy anything you can't afford to get on a regular basis! :wink:

cravenkennellabs

Post by cravenkennellabs » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:40 am

Riverbend. I get it from our Co-op.

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:13 pm

PURINA, I have tried almost everything else, and I always come back to PURINA. :lol: Sonny
SON/STARR KENNELS
Son/Starr's Slick---1st Amateur Champion of NSTRA.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:48 am

dhondtm wrote:I found this to be useful information in general so I thought I would share it. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/changing_foods.htm
Who actually wrote that article, and what sources and studies did they use to back it up? I can't find any information on it at all to bolster its credibility.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:53 am

Chaingang wrote:...
How do you like the Nutrisource? I'm contemplating a switch from my Pro Plan mix (2/3 - 1/3 Performance/Sensitive) because my source for cheap Pro Plan is gone. On the labels, seems like Nutrisource has everything and more that Pro Plan offers, including built-in the vitamins I end up giving separately (Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM). And it's cheaper!
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:02 pm

This Is my final thoughts about DOG FOOD> If what you are feeding works for your dog, then stick with it. The price really should not enter in if you think the world of your dog. I have found, when you start changing foods you are not very smart. If its not broke, then dont try to FIX IT. :lol: Sonny
SON/STARR KENNELS

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:00 pm

I have found, when you start changing foods you are not very smart. If its not broke, then dont try to FIX IT.
I always question when I hear people make general statements like this.

There's a growing movement that believes that changing different types of food periodically will give your dog missing trace elements that may not necessarily be in the food your feeding now, or listed on the packaging. SO if one were to switch from a chicken based food then to a salmon based food then to a lamb based food your dog will be getting all kinds of things that they may be missing when they are restricted to just one type of food. It makes sense to me and my dogs do well on that type of diet. IMO most problems occur when their dogs are fed too much at one time. I'm not advocating that for everyone but it works for me. Based on the "Opinion " above I 'm not smrt. ?????? :roll:

My $.02
Tom

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:38 pm

Right on Sonny. I just can't imagine so much time being spent on what to feed when there has been millions of dollars spent already making sure what a dog needs and then making a feed that supplies all of the essential ingredients for a dogs complete health. Its like going to your neighbor for health care when the doctor is in town. People spend their whole life working in the nutrional field and have all of the tools so they can provide a quality product but then the customer decides he knows more about it. Sure doesn't make sense to me but it is getting worse instead of better so I guess it will be around for a while. I should sue to get the money back I wasted going to school. I kind of thought those classes were a waste of time.

Kind of like what kind of car to drive. Everyone has a different opinion but swear the one they like is better.

Ezzy

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:36 pm

Ayres wrote:
Chaingang wrote:...
How do you like the Nutrisource? I'm contemplating a switch from my Pro Plan mix (2/3 - 1/3 Performance/Sensitive) because my source for cheap Pro Plan is gone. On the labels, seems like Nutrisource has everything and more that Pro Plan offers, including built-in the vitamins I end up giving separately (Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM). And it's cheaper!
Aryes,

It seems to work for my youngster real well. I orignally switched from Canidae because it was just not quite enough to maintain weight when we were doing alot of training. That and combined with a very high metabolism, even feeding 4 cups a day was not enough. I may go back to it when we are not training or hunting though, as it seemed like a great maintenance feed for the off season, and their coat condition was unbelievable.

If your going to feed Nutrisource, I think Super Performance looks the best, at least from first glance at the ingredients. I was able to drop back a cup a day from the Canidae and still maintain weight. Give it a try.
Last edited by Chaingang on Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:40 pm

Ayres wrote:
dhondtm wrote:I found this to be useful information in general so I thought I would share it. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/changing_foods.htm
Who actually wrote that article, and what sources and studies did they use to back it up? I can't find any information on it at all to bolster its credibility.
DITTO !!!

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:46 pm

I didnt say that folks were DUMB for looking at other foods when what they are feeding works well for their dog. All I said was I didnt think it was very :roll: :roll: :roll: smart to change.Its a free country, make up your own mind. I have simply made up my mind to stick with PURINA. Cost a little more but my dogs do well on It and I think they are worth the higher cost. :roll: :roll: :roll: Sonny
SON/STARR KENNELS

WVGSP

Post by WVGSP » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:17 pm

[ I have simply made up my mind to stick with PURINA. Cost a little more but my dogs do well on It and I think they are worth the higher cost. :roll: :roll: :roll: Sonny[/quote]

I'll second that. same here Sonny

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:23 am

Sonny +2. I've known people that make a career out of changing foods trying to get the best food they can. I'm not so sure their evaluation of one food over another is much more than an uneducated guess. The thing that makes Pro Plan better for your dog than Hi Pro is advertising! Otherwise, why not drop Hi Pro?
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:09 am

Don I have been feeding purina one in the off season and pro plan performance 30-20 in the trial season. Never have used the purina HI-PRO. The trap that I fell into was when my hunting buddies came around, theyed say, I feed --------. Man Its cheap and its great feed. So here I would go and buy it. Guess I have tried almost all brands. But like I said PURINA works very well for my dogs and I hope I have the dog food thing finally solved , thanks for all the help. :lol: Sonny
SON/STARR KENNELS

GL

Post by GL » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:23 pm

It's unaminous, I am the only one feeding Blue Seal Natural 26 and the dog loves it.

Farmers around here feed all their livestock Blue Seal Feeds and the Vet claims he has found nothing better for dogs than the Natural 26.

I will keep an eye on things because this is probably what many refer to as cheap food at $22/ 50 pound bag. I have however spoken with and seen the dogs who have been on it all their lives and they sure look healthy to me.

I think EZZY makes a very good point in that the hype surrounding dog food is more to sell the owner then it is for the dog.

I wonder how cheap Geico Auto Insurance could really be if they weren't spending billions on TV commercials every 5 minutes and filling all of our mail boxes with junk!

Gary

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:19 pm

Black Gold - Plantation Blend

This is a new formulation still in white bag and not even on their web site yet.

My dogs love it and are doing great on it.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:19 pm

Precise Endurance and all are doing great on it

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:24 am

I feed Nutro right now and have great luck with it. I do feel I am feeding more than I need to to my GSP's though so am always looking for a food I don't have to feed as much on. But all the foods I have found still show the same amount for the cups for the weight but my GSP's just won't hold weight if that is all I feed them.

I found a dog food in the store the other day. It is a 40% protein. It is made by http://www.bluebuff.com/ but it isn't even on their website yet. Great ingrediants and such. I am just wondering as I have never seen a dog food with such high protein before if there is something I should watch out for in this food. My GSP's really only hold their weight if they are on a high protein diet.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:11 am

The carbs and fats are he big providers of calories and that is what produces ebergy and fat if too much is fed. Protien is basically used to make new bone or muscle when the pup is growing and used to repai any damage or wear on the muscles when grown. I would be wary of feeding that much protien without getting enough carbs and fat to provide the energy you are looking for.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

laura

Post by laura » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:09 pm

Evo and Orijen.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:57 pm

Nutri Source/Tuffys

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:37 am

I feed my dog Orijen, it is a company out of Canada. They are grain free food, which from what I have read is suppose to be good for dogs. Has anyone else heard of this product or use it? My dog seems to enjoy it.

Brandon

Firstarrow

Post by Firstarrow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:11 am

BlackGold Blue bag & Black bag

have worked for our dog.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:41 am

I have owned a number of hi performance/activity breeds from Belgian Malinois to Shorthairs. I always feed Eukanuba Puppy no matter the age of the dog. They seem to do better on it than the Active formula.

I can't stand Purina after I found out that some of their ingredients cause major organ failure and they never did any kind of research or anything to correct it. I would rather feed my dog Costco brand or Ole Roy(Even though I love Wal-Mart and what Sam Walton did with it I think his food is crap!).

Thanks all,

Rowdy

withheld

Post by withheld » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:04 am

Did you read that on the internet? Then it must be true. Have you seen the research facility that purina has just for dogs? What organs are we talking about Rowdy? How are those shorthair pups you got a while back? They were the next hot thing, weren't they? Now I don't feed Purina..... however I don't post unfounded statements on the web hoping someone will talk to me. Maybe you should pick one thing and learn about it, then when you know all there is to know about that subject pick another. Picking up lots of little bits, and then regurgitating them on the internet is not good. if you want to do that post on wikipedia, they love misinformation.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:49 am

Rowdy,

Stop and think before posting garbage! There is probably more Purina feeds fed than all the rest combined. What do you suppose they are feeding it to if all the dogs eating it are dead or dying?

And your comment about not being able to stand it because it is killing all of the dogs its fed to. I take it you think we all love to watch our dogs die.

Don't have a clue what you are looking for with your statements but I hope you can see just how stupid your comments are. Its no way to make friends or influence enemies in my book.

Hope you can become a part of our board and learn something and also post questions you have. There are many people on here that can answer most all of them.

Ezzy

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:40 am

All our dogs are currently on ProPlan Performance, exept one. She's an older dog and gets Hill's Prescription Diet K/D.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:31 am

C, didn't mean to push any buttons, but I wouldn't post comments like that unless I felt I had a reason too. I was told in passing by a dog food rep from another company that before he signed on with that company he fed Purina. He said his dog died from kidney (I believe it was his kidney) failure and later heard that there was an ingredient in Purina that tends to have that effect. I decided not to take his word for it because you cannot gather an opinion on what someone tells you just in passing, but I was curious so I looked into it since I was feeding Purina. The first chance I had to do some research on it was when I was back in California for awhile so I called the Veterinary College at UC Davis in Sacramento. I was transfered around between departments and people until I spoke with a Professor who from what I gather deals with testing human food, but was aware of certain cases where people had filed complaints with Purina over losing pets. The Dr. told me in a kind of "you figure it out for yourself" manner that Purina paid the people off. He said it didn't happen often, but he had definately heard about it. I figured with a professor of Veterinary Medicine pretty much confirming what I had heard that I could take it to heart. I mean I don't think he had any reason to lie.

Maybe you're right about the way I posted my feelings though. I have no hard proof toward my point so I really shouldn't have posted it in such a matter of fact way, I do appologize for that, but I do have a decent reason to believe.

As for my pups, how'd you know about them? Do I know you from a different site and recognize your handle here? It says you're from N/W Iowa and the only Shorthair people I can think of up there are the people with K-Hawk, but your handle says Rocking C. Ya, Darby and Rex were really nice dogs, Darby was the smartest dog I've ever seen! Who is that dog in your avitar? He's a nice looking dog, how's he lined?

EZZY, I never said that Purina killed or is killing EVERY dog that eats it. I just said that some ingredients cause organ failure. I mean exposure to the sun supposedly cause sun cancer, but that doesn't mean that everyone who is exposed to sunlight gets cancer. There are ranchers and farmers who spend a very large portion of their time working in the sun and never have any problems at all....but there are a few who do. Like I said above I shouldn't have been so matter of fact sounding because there isn't any established evidence, just a possiblity.

Rowdy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:49 am

Stone face,

There isn't even a possibility. Everything you just stated started with a salesman with another company. Sound supicious? Then you passed it around in a Vet School and the answer you got was "I had heard that".

Your post is nothing more than gossip and you are putting it out where some other individuals who know nothing about dogfoods could read it and think it was fact. Was ther any concern on your part when they passed your complaint around till it ended up with a Dr. doing human research? Didn't even know vet schools did human research. Why was it passed around and no vet was willing to touch it do you suppose?

We try very hard to keep infoon this board somewhere close to fact and that post just doesn't qualify. As I said before, just look around and use some common sense and tell me that many of the trial dogs in the country that are worked harder than most any other dogs are dying from organ failure. If I am wrong please give us the names of five or ten trial dogs who have died in the past couple of years from organ failure thatwere less than 10 or 12 years old? That would qualify as a premature death.
I was told in passing by a dog food rep from another company
I called the Veterinary College at UC Davis in Sacramento. I was transfered around between departments and people
I spoke with a Professor who from what I gather deals with testing human food,
The Dr. told me in a kind of "you figure it out for yourself" manner that Purina paid the people off
He said it didn't happen often
he had definately heard about it.
Veterinary Medicine pretty much confirming
I mean I don't think he had any reason to lie.
I don't think he did lie either since he never confirmed or denied there was a problem. They call this being non confrontational. Don't tell people who are complaining, no matter how rediculos the claim is, they are wrong but just don't tell them they are right either, where they could be held accountable for what they said plus being sued for liable.

Ezzy

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:24 am

I love these ddog food discussions. There are so many good foods on the market it's pathetic. When you stop to think about the garbage a dog eats out running around I gotta wonder why I bother concerning yourself with the food I buy. Otis dearly loves corn cobs, the pups scrounge in the burn pile. Drifter had a soft spot for dead field mice and Rex once ate a decaying porcupine, quills and all!

I have run into food that individual dogs found objectional and a few foods that were simply not worth buying but, overall most of us could buy grocery store food for our dogs and other than we know what it is, never know the difference. Bear in mind that dog food companies sell food to people, not dogs.

I have been feeding Pedigree for about 15 yrs now with no problems. I've fed Iiaam'a, Nutro, Purina, Diamond, Biscut and several others and had only one food that was unexceptable. That one ZMaintained the dogs well but let them down badly when they were working. I knew of a pro lab trainer near Portland, Ore that fed only fred Meyer store brand and it worked.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:47 am

We have notice that since switching from Kirkland Lamb & Rice to ProPlan the dogs fart a lot less.

Considering they all live in the house with us, and ride in the trucks with us, that is definitely worth the extra $! :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:41 pm

Don,

Funny you posted just what I was thinking.

Would be so interesting if you could take a whole bunch of feeds and put them in plain brown bags and then have people rate them. There isn't a chance in the world most people would see any difference from one to another other than some minor cosmetic difference at best. Would sure be a learning experience for all the people who worry so much about what their dogs are eating. Too bad people don't worry as much about what they and their kids eat.

Ezzy

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:02 pm

Ezzy, when I was younger I asked very "uninformed" question about Rawhides Clown. I see you're into Britts, but I bet you can still guess what the question was. It ended up causes a kind of discussion war. I have done that a few times on accident.

Being new here, I'd really reather stay neutral instead of gaining any enemies...at least not just yet :wink: . I'm going to just drop the subject and bow out of our discussion about the dogs food.

I hope we're still on good terms,

Rowdy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Not a problem. I have no axe to grind, just like to keep things on the up and up.

Ezzy

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:42 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Would be so interesting if you could take a whole bunch of feeds and put them in plain brown bags and then have people rate them.
It would also be interesting to let the dogs rate them!

Because after all, dogs taste and appreciate things differently than people do. For example, you'd be hard pressed to see me eat a turd and like it, but I've got dogs that seem to relish them. :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:23 pm

NJGSP

Good point. But think how many dog owners would go crazy without dog food labels to read.

Ezzy

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:48 pm

ezzy333 wrote:NJGSP

Good point. But think how many dog owners would go crazy without dog food labels to read.

Ezzy
It would be a blind taste test anyway - I don't know about your dogs but none of mine can read! :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:44 pm

I thought mine could talk but come to find out one of them is a ventriliquist.

Ezzy

Blue Dawn Kennel

Post by Blue Dawn Kennel » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:52 pm

We have been using Enhance Performance (32-20) for about 3-4 yrs. now and absolutely love what it does for the dogs in apperence and energy wise. The hold their weight with it through the winter and their stools are less than most (stools similar to Purina Pro Plan Performance very little). Even in the summer we can back them down and they hold their weight and like eating it very well. Enhance is one line made by Arkat feeds out of Ark.

Check it out it's worked/and works great for us and our dogs.

Robbi

PS~ We've fed Euk, Purina, Diamond, K-9 Rations, National, and a few others. We really really liked a couple of these others and dogs did great on them up until winter and had to feed more which caused LOTS more stools and most weren't great. So we're really happy with the Enhance and a lot of our clients started feeding it and like it just as well.
BDK'S Kessie's Sin City Casino~http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1270
BDK's All That Jazz~ http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=5853
BDK's Try Your Luck~ http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=5854
"Home of 60 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TITLES (wins & runner ups) & Many Many Field Champions"

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:03 pm

I've used Pro Plan for years. I had a Westie with a skin problem and after trying everything else I gave Pro Plan a try. It cleared her up right away.
I also fed it to my Yellow Lab and she never shed except when she changed her coat.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:45 am

NJ GSP wrote:We have notice that since switching from Kirkland Lamb & Rice to ProPlan the dogs fart a lot less.

Considering they all live in the house with us, and ride in the trucks with us, that is definitely worth the extra $! :D
Apparently, I spoke too soon. The dogs are still farting as much as ever. Phew!

A foul wind blows...

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:54 pm

Just switched to Eukanuba
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:57 pm

We feed Wellness fish and potato and IVET. I have a dog that is seriously allergic to all poultry, most grains, and god know what else. He seems to be able to handle the fish and potato ok. The rest get the IVET.

Carla

FowlDawgs

Post by FowlDawgs » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:03 pm

I feed Eukanuba Sporting. Use to feed Pro Plan Performance, but made th eswitch to Euk.

Cory