Dogtra vs Tritronics

As an average joe, would you buy Dogtra or Tritronics?

Dogtra
37%
Tritronics
58%
Neither
5%

Total votes: 163

Ironhorse77

Dogtra vs Tritronics

Post by Ironhorse77 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:01 pm

Think of yourself as a regular joe-schmoe, never used an ecollar and looking to start training your dog. You are in the market for an ecollar and trying to decide between Dogtra or Tritronics.

Dogtra is cheaper and has the vibration with a smaller transmitter

Tritronics seems to be preferred by most but is almost $70-$100 more w/o vibration but with a beep. Huge transmitters that seem a little cumbersome.

Which would you buy?

Remember, you're not a dog trainer using this every day. You are an average dog owner that uses the collar a few times a month and during hunting season!

jbsetter

Post by jbsetter » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:06 pm

You may want to be more specific to which kind of training you will doing?

Ironhorse77

Post by Ironhorse77 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:44 pm

Labs or Shorthairs......Mostly upland game training. Running dogs in the vacant fields around the house and hunting pheasants and chuckar. The collar would also be used for whenever the dog might bolt or not listen to commands in an everyday setting when he's off the leash. Like I said, the dogs aren't field trial dogs or senior hunters. They are regular house dogs/hunting dogs.

Firstarrow

Post by Firstarrow » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:09 am

I have had the Dogtra for 3.5 yrs (their 200 ncp model) and used it for about 1.5 years total (daily usage). the batteries are still good, and I like the pager (vibrator mode).

I used it with our first dog prior to putting him down, then introduced it to our current dog about 1 yr ago. Love the ease of use!!!

JakeDD

apples/oranges

Post by JakeDD » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 am

I know it's not a 1:1 comparison, but I've got an older TT Field 70 2-dog and a Dogtra 2500T&B. I love the features and ergonomics of the Dogtra, but for an "average Joe" hunter, the durability of the TT is truly hard to beat. My only complaint on the TTs is the battery life. Never been that good for me.

grousehunter08

Post by grousehunter08 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:03 pm

when i first got a dog i started out with a tritronics upland special. It worked untill bird season where the beeper would just start doing its own thing. Going from beep mode to point only to hawk scream all on its own. This happened on 4 beepers, to tritronics credit they did send me a free beeper every time but it still would break down when i needed it. So I went to dogtra T&B model and have had no problems with the 1 dog system i bought, and cince my second gsp i bought the T&B 2 dog system and have nothing but good things to say about it aswell

jcbuch

Post by jcbuch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:36 pm

TT for me

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:56 pm

I have one of each, they both have good ergonomics, TT support has always been good, and they are made here in the USA, where as Dogtra is not..

Chip

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:24 pm

I have been using TT since the 70's. Never had a reason to change. I have upgraded through the years but never because of equipment problems. I hear a lot of good things about Dogtra from people I respect but I have no first hand experience with them.

I will say this much. I bought the Inotec system a few years back with the launchers and backing dog. It was all crap.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:39 pm

I have a Dogtra 2002 T&B two dog unit. Very much impressed with the durability and simplicity of the unit. I am most impressed by the battery life. This thing literally goes forever on a single charge. Handled and looked at the new 2500 T&B and not overly impressed with some of the changes, and doesn't feel as durable. I think I'll keep my 2002 series. No experience with TT.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:46 pm

I don't like the stimualtion value of dogtra feels like a hot needle where the tri tronics feels more like a stimualtion and I really don't like that dial on the dgtra where it doesn't click in to posistion..you ahve to look at the transmitter if you need to turn up so you know where it is at ...plus in truth that 0-50 you have about maybe 10 real different levels which in truth if a dog is taught right ..you shouldn;t need more the about 3 levels ofr the most part

and as for handling a chagre TTs do very well...the G3 the tranmitter uses a 9 volts battery get a good quality one it will last about 9=10 months

the rechargeable ...they last a good month..I charge every 30 - 45 days whether they need it or not
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 pm

kninebirddog wrote:I don't like the stimualtion value of dogtra feels like a hot needle where the tri tronics feels more like a stimualtion and I really don't like that dial on the dgtra where it doesn't click in to posistion
I thought the Dogtra units had a rheostat dial system, thus it would be impossible to ever get the exact same stimulation level. This would be confusing to a dog I would think. I think it is imperative to havea system that delivers exactly the same levels on any give setting.

Nitrex

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:18 pm

nitrex wrote:I thought the Dogtra units had a rheostat dial system, thus it would be impossible to ever get the exact same stimulation level. This would be confusing to a dog I would think. I think it is imperative to havea system that delivers exactly the same levels on any give setting.

Nitrex
They do have a rheostat system. But it has never been a problem for me acquiring the same stimulation level. The dial is marked with numbers/notches. The gradual increase of the rheostat system allows me to adjust for just the right amount of stimulation needed to get a response. Once I have found that level I rarely have to change, and if I do... it is just not a big deal (for me at least) to adjust. I think it all boils down to what your used to.

I had Innotek collars (before I learned my lesson :lol: ) that used a seperate button for different levels, and the jump from one level to the next always felt to me like a larger step than the rheostat system of the Dogtra.

I think where Dogtra collars really shine is for the Hunter who will use his collar predominately for hunting, but wants a collar that can do a decent job as a training collar if needed. Just me, but I think their collar/beeper models are second to none.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:28 am

As a training collar, the ergonomics of the TT are, IMHO, far superior to anything else that I've seen.

In making corrections, reading the dog and timing are everything. With the TT, you can keep your eyes on the dog and, by feel alone, give a low, medium, high, or continuous stimulation.

If needed, you can also adjust up from, say, 2 to 3, by feel alone.

Can't do it with the Dogtra. I've got a 2002 T&B and that's why I'm selling it and my older TT 1 dog. I really want a TT 2-dog.

Greg J.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:40 am

The Dogtra 1800 has a selector level that has 8 different levels, it does not use the rheostat dial, it has 8 continous, and 8 momentary, and a 1 mile range not that you need that. It is very much comparable to my TT

JMO,
Chip

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:26 am

Mine has the rheostat. If it had positive clicks, that would be much better.

But, it still wouldn't be as nice as the TT where I can escalate a correction from low to medium to high without changing the setting at all.

Watching dog...
Dog gets happy feet...
Nick on low...
Dog doesn't notice correction...
Nick on medium....
etc.

And, hey, I like the old style TT round transmitter. If anyone attempts a mugging while you're out in the field, it makes a very effective club ;) .

Seriously, it's one reason I'd like to step up to the G2.

Greg J.

bnjburgess

Post by bnjburgess » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:03 pm

I've only used Tritronics so don't have an opinion on any other collar. I started with the Pro 100 and now have the G2 100. The transmitter is smaller and the beep is louder, the only negative is I don't like the button for the beep, the pro 100 was easier to use for that.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:43 pm

Tritronics.For all the right reasons.

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:48 pm

Dogtra has been great for me and a number of folks I know who have them--until their latest 2500/2502 series.

Long story on my adventure with a 2502 but I finally put my foot down after multiple failures in two different collar sets while trying to train a pup, demanded my money back but they refused--however they will be replacing it with an older (2002) model.

Real problems in the 2500 line. If they ever get them ironed out and either get a louder beeper or the option to put it back on top of the collar again, it is a nice design. They have an LED together with dial power setting now so theoretically you can dial in the exact amount of juice desired and have it be the same each time.

I don't know about any difference in felt shock. I do know Dogtra's older designs did have some jumps between settings--i.e. the progression up the dial in shock power wasn't smooth, there were points where you'd have a bit more of a jump--but that has been fixed in the 2500 series.

Nothing against TT other than price--they are much more expensive. Their one dog unit is nearly identical in price to a two dog Dogtra unit.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:19 pm

TT G3 series are priced from the 266.00 - 388.00 MSRP there are a few of us that get 10% off that price direct from Tri Tronics which is built and assembled here in the USA

anymore I will pay extra to support USA made and assembled products and they are the only ones that can make that claim.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:49 pm

Need 1 mile or greater collars here, more due to cover than distance--if not mistaken the G3 is a 1/2 mile rated system. I think there's something to be said for american made, but these days that's no guarantee americans actually made it! In any case, the $200 difference in price is a bit rich for me to justify.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 am

I have taken a tour of tri tronic 's they are made and assembled with american components .which many they make wire wrap and seal the inner components print etc right there in Tucson by American speaking employee's

even the batteries are done there

yes the G3 is only a half mile range

the G2 classic 70 EXP with 10% off including shipping is 323.60
set up for 2 dogs is 449.10

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:08 am

No complaints about my TT

point to retrieve

Re: Dogtra vs Tritronics

Post by point to retrieve » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:06 pm

Tritronics Just wish they made a bird launcher.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:27 am

The TT,s have served me well since my first GSP. The best thing is the customer support. I have never had an issue with any of the collars I've owned except the battery life after 5 years it seems to fail.
Bill L.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:32 am

I purchased a classic seventy in two thousand, the one that were turned on by the transmitter. The batteries in those units were junk and so was the turn on method. I thought customer service sucked at that time also!!! I beleive that tri tronics pissed their nest with those units and cost themselves business. I have had a dogtra 2200 ??? for about the last five years, never had a problem with batteries and working ability ,nor with adjusting the reostat. I beleive the dogtras are a bit hotter than the tri tronics. Last year i bought a new 200 g2 exp two dog unit I tried using it at the same level as the dogtra and my dogs never flinched at level two. I personally like the unit hanging from my neck not on my side,on horse back i have a tendency to sit on the tri tronics and by hanging it around my neck the antenna gets in the way .I also dont beleive the new t t units hold a charge very long. I can go for months not charging the dogtra unit and it stil works reliable. My money is on dogtra!!!!!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:52 pm

Wow I had just the opposite .... just goes to show why these companies are still in business they have to be working for some people :wink:

For me i really like the lighter levels of simulation specially when working new dogs why I now use the Pro 100...
the lower the stimualtion the better but it os for the method i am teaching as I can always turn it up when needed but if it is to high to start with it is pretty much useless for training as i teach cues with my collars and to high just becomes all about negative specially for softer dogs if it is to high it causes more problems then anything else.....but again I am working with a variety different dogs so that is what i need and has worked the best for me

Sorry to hear you had problems with tri tronics :(

ceadmin

Post by ceadmin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:43 am

Dogtra hands down. I have a 200NCP and now a 2502 T&B. WIth a rheostat control system and 127 levels on the 2500 (60 on the 200), you can dial in your dog exactly to its stimulation level it needs. Never had a problem with either and the 200 is 6 years old with my use and I bought it used. Still on the same batteries. These things have been underwater, through -30 deg weather and baking in the sun and not a blip.
Molon Labe!

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:30 pm

TT for me

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Gentlemen,
Down thru the years we have used both and you could not give me TT collar today. To many repairs when they should be on the dogs. We use the older 1800 or 2000 Dogtra T&B dual collars or the new DT H20 T&B dual collars all the time, for both training and Grouse hunting. The new Dogtra 2500 collars do not work as well, due to the elimination of the top side beeper unit, the new beeper is part of the e-unit and points at the ground, further limiting the distance that it can be heard, when working in the forest. If you have a medium to close working dog these collars are fine, but for a bigger running Grouse dog they don't get the job done. In fact the 1st generation Dogtra collars with the antennas and top side beeper units, were actually the best ever made, with almost a 2 mile control distance, they worked perfect. The 2000 Dogtra T&B hand held controller is more convenient to use with bigger buttons, however the antenna is embedded in the collar limiting the control distance to about 1 mile, which most times is more than adequate.
RGD/Dave