Ruger Red Label .28 - Questions

Dietz

Ruger Red Label .28 - Questions

Post by Dietz » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:06 am

So a dear old friend of mine inherited his dad's shotguns. He doesn't hunt or shoot so he called me to see if I'd be interested in buying one. Turns out he's got a 1998 Red Label .28 in nice shape from what I can see from the photos. He had taken it to a pawn shop where they had offered him $200 - LOL. I knew it was worth more than that but I didn't realize the following it has. I've seen them for sale on the internet for $1500-$3900. I don't "NEED" another shotgun, but I was thinking about it because I don't have a 28 gauge. I'm a 50-something, female upland hunter. The lightweight aspect of the gun is appealing. I may not have an opportunity to shoot it before I buy it - I live out west and he lives in Chicago. I'm not worried too much, because if it has a functional problem he would just take it back and give my money back.

I'm wondering what I should be looking out for when I take a look at this particular model. I know there are some of you here that probably have some opinions on this shotgun. And no, I don't want to fork out more for the Beretta .28 at the moment.

I told him I could give him $1500 for it. He wants it to be used and not sold (I won't resell it) and I'd like to get a great deal on a 28 gauge. What could possibly go wrong?

jmez

Re: Ruger Red Label .28 - Questions

Post by jmez » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:46 am

Nothing. Buy it. ,You will both be getting what you want. The Red Label will be heavier than the Beretta and the weight is forward. They swing heavy in the barrel.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:06 pm

For whatever it's worth, my Red Label 12 has never missed a beat in the twenty-five years I've been shooting it. There are definitely lighter guns, and prettier ones, but mine has gone bang every time I've pulled it's trigger during the hundreds of hunts I've taken it on.

I'm guessing you'd be equally happy with that 28.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:57 pm

I owned one in a 20 and loved it. A lot of inexpensive 28's were simply built on a 20's frame. If I remember correctly, not so the Ruger. It is a true 28 on a 28 frame. Ruger builds solid guns. Nothing to look out for on this one.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.