Sidearm

Garrison

Sidearm

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:39 am

I am in the field an awful lot, and even during the season I often leave my shotgun in the truck and carry my blank pistol. With a six year old who loves to tag along and more than a few encounters with wildlife I am looking to get and carry a sidearm for everyone’s safety. Curious if any here do the same, and what you choose to carry? Surprisingly, in my county the CCW regulations are rather laxed, so looking for something to fit in my bird vest on those occasions. Unfortunately, we have limited legal options on the California roster.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Sidearm

Post by slistoe » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:40 pm

Being from Canada I sure won't be any help on this one.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:58 pm

slistoe wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:40 pm
Being from Canada I sure won't be any help on this one.
I know I could look it up, if the laws are half as convoluted as ours I probably wouldn’t understand any of it. Absent any political discourse, I am curious how it works up there as far as possession and use of your hunting shotguns, and rifles?

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:14 pm

Take a safety training course and you can apply for a PAL (possession and acquisition license). This allows you to buy firearms and ammo that are not on the restricted list (all handguns are restricted). When not in use all firearms must be locked and stored separately from the ammo. If you want a handgun you must take a course and apply for an RPAL (restricted possession and acquisition license). Then you will need to be a member of a licensed range. Once those are met you could buy a handgun and must keep it under lock and key at all times. If you wish to take it out of your house you will need a transport permit that will allow you to take the handgun from your house to the licensed range by the most direct route. Once at the range you can carry the unlocked pistol with the ammo. I live on a quarter section of land and I cannot legally take a handgun out of my house and shoot targets in the yard. As of October last year all sales and transfers of handguns has been prohibited. So those who own handguns can keep and use them but they cannot be sold or transferred to anyone else. If you don't currently own a handgun you cannot legally obtain one in Canada.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:35 pm

slistoe wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:14 pm
Take a safety training course and you can apply for a PAL (possession and acquisition license). This allows you to buy firearms and ammo that are not on the restricted list (all handguns are restricted). When not in use all firearms must be locked and stored separately from the ammo. If you want a handgun you must take a course and apply for an RPAL (restricted possession and acquisition license). Then you will need to be a member of a licensed range. Once those are met you could buy a handgun and must keep it under lock and key at all times. If you wish to take it out of your house you will need a transport permit that will allow you to take the handgun from your house to the licensed range by the most direct route. Once at the range you can carry the unlocked pistol with the ammo. I live on a quarter section of land and I cannot legally take a handgun out of my house and shoot targets in the yard. As of October last year all sales and transfers of handguns has been prohibited. So those who own handguns can keep and use them but they cannot be sold or transferred to anyone else. If you don't currently own a handgun you cannot legally obtain one in Canada.
Appreciate the succinct explanation. Have to admit, I am a bit envious of the 160 acres part……..Must be nice for many reasons besides the limitations on shooting a handgun.

Garrison
- Mark Twain-

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:09 pm

I usually carry a 40 S&W chambered Sig P239 compact when hunting on the border in southeast AZ. I usually hunt quail with a 410, so the shotgun isn't much defense beyond maybe 5-10 yards. The border area I hunt can have the occassional drug mules and such.