Shotgun fitting

Bugchucker

Shotgun fitting

Post by Bugchucker » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:47 pm

I finally retired my Remington Wingmaster (reluctantly) and upgraded to a Benelli Montefeltro. Love the gun, but in hindsight I should have spent more time shouldering it before buying. I shoot horribly with it. I'll close my eyes and shoulder it and it is way off. I got the Benelli at a reduced price and as a result it did not include a shim kit. I can buy one, but I've never played with shims. Am I better off going to a gunsmith or trying to figure it out myself?

Thanks in advance,

Phil
"Have patience when they are hard of hearing...it’s the birds' fault."
-Peter Fragiskatls

oldbeek

Re: Shotgun fitting

Post by oldbeek » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:36 pm

a real simple fit tool I saw years ago was to tape a drinking straw on the receiver in the site plane. throw it up and see where it is pointing. you should be looking down the center of the straw.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:07 am

Go to a gunsmith.......Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:39 pm

Getting fitted by a gunsmith is well worth the money imo .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:32 pm

Once I had a properly fit gun, which allowed me to start pointing and stop aiming, I enjoyed the chukar hills much more.

I just purchased a new auto that came with a shim/cast kit. Since it is a synthetic stock and made to be adjusted, I was able to copy the geometry and length of pull off one of the break opens that was fit to me, and I happen to shoot the best.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-