Sporting vs Field. A little advice needed.

K9BigDog

Sporting vs Field. A little advice needed.

Post by K9BigDog » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:20 am

So I'm in the market for a new shotgun. I don't NEED one, but I WANT one. I've been selling off some unused pieces to finance this purchase and I'm finally ready. I'm specifically looking for a 12 gauge O/U as I don't have one. I have a couple 20's already, and of course a couple 12 pumps and a semi-auto. Really don't want an entry level gun, I'm past that stage. So I'm looking at guns (new and used) in the $1500-2200 range, and I'm partial to something like a Silver Pigeon.
Here's the question:
Hunting mostly in New York, I'm hunting a lot of preserve birds and wild grouse/woodcock. My 20 gauge (686 Onyx Pro - field) is more than up to the task for that. I've recently started getting into sporting clays and have attended a couple fun shoots with friends. My buddy has a membership at a clays place and is always asking me to go with him and I'm thinking that I'm going to ask my wife and kids for a membership there for Christmas this year. That would be where I think the 12 would see the most work so my gut says "get a sporting model". But I know the difference: A little heavier, no auto safety, a bit different grip/fore-end, extra bead on the rib etc. The question is, is the better choice? Probably the only time I'd hunt with this gun is if I ever got a chance to go out west for some "real" pheasant hunting, like South Dakota, Nebraska, etc. Not something I'd be doing all the time.

A place not far from me also has a used Guerini, not sure what model yet, but priced LESS than a new Silver Pigeon. At that price I'd have to see it because it's about half the cost of a new CG. It's at the Pro Shop of a clays range so I'm guessing it's had a ton of rounds through it but probably worth a look...
I know I've probably answered my own question, but I guess I'm just seeking a little more input.

Steve007

Re: Sporting vs Field. A little advice needed.

Post by Steve007 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:31 pm

A pretty good investment for you would be “The Gun Review Book” by Michael McIntosh. While the book is probably 20 years old, the nice thing about shotguns is that they really don't age (barring extremes of vintage) and that the newest and neatest is not necessarily the bestest. As an example, I've got a really nice dedicated sporting clays gun -- you'll see it reviewed in McIntosh book-- and while if I were shooting for money (not likely), that's what I bring with me, the gun that I have the most fun with on the sporting clays range is my 30 inch Browning Superposed Lightning, which was made in 1959.

You do need to check out the Guerini as they have many models (I own one, but not a SC model). If the range has it for sale, you can certainly shoot it and they will offer you a return privilege, during which you can take it over to a gunsmith for an opinion. Most people who buy used cars do not get a mechanic’s inspection and most people who buy used guns don't get a gunsmith's inspection. Make sense in both instances, though there's a lot more that can go wrong with the car than a shotgun.

If you're hanging around at a SC range, almost anyone will let you shoot their gun and your friends certainly will. Look up gun writer reviews on the Internet. Everyone likes the gun he owns, so the fact that someone tells you that gun X is better than gun Y doesn't really matter. I have bought a number of guns after reading professional reviews about them, and have not been disappointed. For the record, I own a Marocchi Conquista Sporter 12ga. 30 inch and think it is absolutely the best buy on the market as a SC gun, though I freely admit others may say the same about a gun that they like. See reviews. Probably cost you at the lower end of your range, but you might find one for closer to a grand. You can use the leftover money you've allocated for shooting lessons and range fees. Lots of fine guns out there. Shopping is fun. Don't hurry .

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:45 pm

Steve gave some good advice. Only thing I would add is getting fitted or making adjustments is worth the time, expense and effort. Sometimes the best place to buy a gun is at the range once you get to know the crew.

I have a couple safe queens that don’t come out much, if at all. Enjoy looking at them and wiping them down a couple times a year. But I enjoy my Citori 525 field grade, every time I take it out of the truck. It does stay in the truck vault in rugged chukar country, but the investment gets well used and enjoyed a good chunk of the year.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

K9BigDog

Post by K9BigDog » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:20 am

So here's went to the range/Pro Shop and checked out both used Guerini's. Didn't like the Summit as it was in pretty rough shape. Wasn't even sure if I'd be able to get the chokes out as they'd been in there quite a while and didn't look like they were in any mood to unscrewed with normal tools. I really like the Tempio, which is a hunting model and it only had a couple minor cosmetic blemishes. Took it out to the range and tried to break a few clays with it but there was a problem with it. When I fired the first barrel, the gun came out of battery, meaning it broke open after the shot, repeatedly. I handed it off to the guy from the shop and he fired it and verified. Probably some worn parts an an easy repair for a gunsmith but I walked away from it. Found and bought a brand new 686 Silver Pigeon 1 Field. I added skeet choke and I'll pick up some extended chokes for sporting clays if I feel like I need them later on. One interesting note: Beretta has changed the chokes on the Silver Pigeons to the Optima HP instead of the Mobilchoke. The Optima HP's are much thinner walled and the tighter constrictions can't be used with steel shot.