Choosing a Shotgun

brokeoff

Choosing a Shotgun

Post by brokeoff » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:44 am

Looking to buy a shotgun in the near future but my plans are very open at this point. Hoping to shoot clays, pheasants, and maybe grouse and/or ducks down the line. Is it better to start with a versatile gun first and see where I end up heading, or should I start with a clay gun work on my shot and then head out into the woods?

The gun clubs are 30-40 minutes away, public WMA are 45 minutes away and grouse converts are 3.5 hours away in ME. Ducks are a possibility in the future but I know nothing about it and my pup is just a pup.

Also, if I hope to graduate to a sxs and hunt grouse is there any reason to start shooting clays with a 12 ga sxs? Or do most grouse guys use u/o for clays and sxs in the field?

nevermind

Re: Choosing a Shotgun

Post by nevermind » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:35 pm

I'm not clear if this will be your 1st shotgun experience? I would go to the gun club and talk to members that shoot clays and hunt... see what they are shooting. When you decide on a gun go back to gun club and pattern the gun... you'll probably need help from some members. You need
to learn proper gun mount and if your lucky the gun you choose might fit you and shoot where you point the gun, if not there are ways to make adjustments to the gun. Once you learn proper gun mount and the gun is fitted to you go hunt with confidence... when you miss you'll know it's you and not the gun!
I don't shoot clays and quit Duck hunting years ago, but would really consider a good auto for Duck hunting... it's not a detriment to have multiple guns.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:39 pm

Several of the items on your list tend to dictate different "ideal" choices in shotguns. Most folks would also opt for the improved killing power of the 12 gauage, but masses of hunters do just fine with a lighter 20 gauage. It may sound silly, but a box of 12 gauage shells weighs about a pound more than a box of 20 gauge shells and the typical 12 gauage is several ounces to a pound heavier than a typical 20 ga.

The ideal shotgun for trap and ducks and geese would be longer barrelled and probably heavier than the ideal grouse firestick, mostly becasue the longer barrelled and heavier gun would tend to swing smoother which is an advantage for that kind of shooting while as shots at grouse are much more of a point and fire proposition which lend themselves to a shorter barrelled,more nimble handling weapon. The heavier weight of the duck gun/trap gun will also soak up some of the recoil of thoe high powered heavy duck loads and the multiple shots at the range.

However, if the gun fits you properly and you learn to shoot it well, you can shoot trap successfully with a 22" barrel pump shotgun.

Ther4e are definite advantages to the narrower sighting plane provided by the O?u or any of the single barrel guns versus the double barrel, but nothing swings quite like a long barreled double.

I encourage you to go to a quality provider and put several guns up to your shoulder. When you focus on an aiming spot, close your eyes, mount the gun and the gun is pointed at the spot you foucsed on originally, that gun fits you pretty well.

Have fun with your search.

RayG

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:57 pm

nevermind wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:35 pm
.. it's not a detriment to have multiple guns.

Most of us would say it's required. And then some!

Gneiss Dog

Post by Gneiss Dog » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:22 pm

As others said mounting the gun constantly is important. There are drills using a flashlight that are great. Get the best quality you can (might be able to find something used). You didn’t give a budget -maybe look for a beretta a400 (semi) or a silver pigeon (ou) try to buy from a shop or range so you can go back and ask questions or get help. It might be bit more than the big box stores but the help from a good shop can be priceless. All the brands have great models it’s what fits that counts.

12 or 20 would be what I looked at for now usually ammo available though now I find more 28 availability. Guns are hard to stick w one but if your local club lets you rent try out a few to see what you like. A dedicated clay gun might come later most folks want more weight to tame felt recoil and longer barrels.

Can one gun do it all? Yeah! As hunting season starts often see more hunting guns out at clay course as folks get ready for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brokeoff

Post by brokeoff » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:59 pm

Thanks for all the replies. The original thread was moved so I lost track for a moment.

I have just a tiny bit of experience with shotguns. About seven years ago I had a BPS, Citori 725 Field 12 ga, and I think a Citori Superlight Feather 20 ga. Used all three on clays. The Citori 725 Field on pheasants and grouse. I sold all of those and am looking to start over.

If I had to guess, there will be a safe full of shotguns in the not so distant future. It has happened with all my other hobbies.

I'll take a look at the club first and see what they are doing.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:45 pm

I sent you a PM about moving your thread. Did you see it? If a new thread has not received any answers for several days , I move their question near the top of the page so they will get help. Unfortunately, many members do not look far down the page. I encourage members to click on " NEW POSTS" in the general chat section , so no question goes without help.

The best advice I got when buying a shotgun was "Get it fitted by an expert." Makes sense. A 5'2 women like me sure doesn't have the arm length of a 6'2 man. :) Also I joined a gun club to practice on skeet....made all the difference.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

brokeoff

Post by brokeoff » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:02 am

Hi Sharon, I did get the message. Thanks for moving it and bumping it up.

I hope to get to a shop and get fitted correctly on day one this time. Also, taking a tour of the gun club tomorrow possibly.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:20 pm

brokeoff wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:02 am
I hope to get to a shop and get fitted correctly on day one this time. Also, taking a tour of the gun club tomorrow possibly.
Fit' would be everything along with 'eye dominance' and ..well. the clothes you wear in the shop as apposed to the clothes at the gun club and all the skeet shooters .The real stuff you wear in the shooting field may be different? It's just a thought , being a wildfowler .
I was once or twice , even more on occasion given the opportunity to shoot a Purdey or a Holland &Holland by Dukes and gentry of fine shooting ability. I declined ,They were all over 6ft Tall .! and I shot more birds with my £150 harrier and experience of shooting, which involved many years actually doing it btw, rather than choosing a shotgun by brand or name or engraving. But , the caveat' would be the 'Hold' , If it feels like silk you will like it and you will love it even when you miss!. lol
side by side by two.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:39 pm

Beautiful picture! Never thought of the clothes you should wear when getting fitted for the gun. Good idea.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:13 pm

Best shotgun is going to be the one you like the best! You can use any type action you want, to do any of the things you mentioned and the deciding factor to your success will be your own ability's! Buy a gun you like the looks and feel of and learn to shoot it. Buy a guy that doesn't feel right and you may never learn to shoot it well. Buy a gun you think is ugly and again you might not want to be seen in public with it! Most the real reasons for buying this type action or that are mainly talking point's in my opinion.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:49 pm

Sharon wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:39 pm
Beautiful picture! Never thought of the clothes you should wear when getting fitted for the gun. Good idea.
Thanks. Not everyone who shoots in the shooting field is wearing a Tee shirt and waistcoat in sunshine :wink:
As for which Gun!? ..16/20/12 or even 10 bore never mind which way the barrels are set , then there is the shot/cartridge size and load ...?.
A minefield for the Novice or newcomer to shooting any game or wildfowl .
Sitting in a hide for either Pigeon on a sunny day or Geese with frozen tundra and horizontal icy wind ,or walking miles on heather for grouse . Never , ever have I had the best shotgun that would fit all my needs. Some just have one .