C.G. Magnus Light or 687 EELL.......

TheMorningRise

C.G. Magnus Light or 687 EELL.......

Post by TheMorningRise » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:54 am

I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are between the two.

For a looooong time, I was a Beretta fan, but I feel as though their current models leave a bit to be desired (in terms of aesthetic appeal). About a year ago, I had a chance to handle a Caesar Guerini Magnus Light and was fairly impressed. A few things were so so in my minds eye however. I thought the wood, while beautiful, felt cheap and "plasticy". Also, I am not a fan of the Anson style forend release, at all.

That said, I am trying to decide between the Magnus Light and a 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon. While MSRP on the 687 is quite higher, I have the opportunity to pick one up (new in box), for about $800 more than the Manus Light.

Any thoughts?

Featherfinder

Re: C.G. Magnus Light or 687 EELL.......

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:03 am

687...hands down!! And, you can pass the 687 on down to your grandson IN WORKING ORDER.
I bought a 686 20 gauge about 40 years ago. My son has a friend that is new to hunting birds and...has a family/mortgage. So, I sold him my STILL working 686 for $600. He would otherwise never be able to justify buying a gun of that quality. He simply LOVES that gun and....shoots it admirably!
The only downside was it had 26" barrels. I'll never own another gun with barrels less than 28" but I didn't know any better when I bought it. I do now.
People that say, "I hunt woodcock/grouse in VERY thick cover so I need shorter barrels." They are WAY off the mark, both in their understanding of gun-fit and therefore, off the mark on their birds too. :wink:

Trev054

Post by Trev054 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:52 pm

I bought the C.G. Magnus field and really love it. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I considered the light, but the standard field was plenty light as it is.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:55 pm

Trev054 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:52 pm
I bought the C.G. Magnus field and really love it. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I considered the light, but the standard field was plenty light as it is.
Good choice. I bought a Magnus 20g. some years ago and the only problem I had was that the darn thing was so beautiful, I felt traumatized hunting with it. I guess I'm not an upscale birdhunter, though the gun I regularly use is not inexpensive. I recently sold the CG Magnus to a gun dealer for a good deal more than I paid for it, which certainly argues strongly for the quality of the gun and its resale value.

Trev054

Post by Trev054 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:08 am

Ha. I know what you mean about the trauma. The only place I don't take mine is heavy grouse cover, but I have a 16 L.C. Smith I take there.