Beretta 686 20 gauge

Feedjake

Beretta 686 20 gauge

Post by Feedjake » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:21 am

Gander outdoors had a deal I couldn't refuse. Beretta 686 silver pigeon 1 20 gauge for 1215.00!!!! This is my first Beretta o/u. Been a ruger and skb guy. Super excited, had to share.
"He is the prospector of the air, perpetually searching its strata for olfactory gold"
A.L.

NC Quailhunter

Re: Beretta 686 20 gauge

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:20 pm

You are going to love it. I just got one in 28 gauge and really enjoying it. Congratulations and enjoy.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:26 pm

you've purchased a reliable shotgun. awesome price if new and still a great price if used and in good condition.

Feedjake

Post by Feedjake » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:15 am

Brand new. They had 3 on the shelf. Haven't shot it yet but have been comparing it to my ruger red label and skb 500. The wood to metal finish is better on 686, but not by a lot. The bluing and polishing is much better but skb used different methods. I could do w/o the engraving on 686 and much prefer the simple engraving on skb, its just enough and not over done, imo. The real difference is in feel in the hands and upon mounting. Boy did Beretta get it right. But, as I said, I haven't shot it yet. Can't wait
"He is the prospector of the air, perpetually searching its strata for olfactory gold"
A.L.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Post by NEWYORKHILLBILLY » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:01 pm

wish i have seen that deal I might had to add another .

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:57 pm

Feedjake, I commend you on an all-too-rare attribute. You described your new gun by words that I find endearing - "the feel".
There are many guns out there that look fine and might even fit you out-of-the-box, but a shotgun IMO, should feel like a lovely lady:
- svelte,
- curves in all the right places,
- easy on the eyes,
...and more. :wink:
The last thing your 20 gauge O/U should feel like is a 12 gauge semi! And yet, I have hefted some 20 gauge O/Us that felt like a.....boat oar!
Enjoy and learn to put the pellets where you're targets are! (Don't blame the gun.)

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:58 pm

..."I haven't shot it yet."

What is holding you up??????????????????/

Feedjake

Post by Feedjake » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:32 pm

Great question. I will say that I'm blessed to have many options and have been duck or pheasnt hunting lately. I'll get at it soon. Nice brittany pic. I have one as well
A.L.

Feedjake

Post by Feedjake » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm

Featherfinder
"Svelte" is one of my favorite words!
A.L.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:35 am

I just posted on C.G. vs 687 (above). You should read that too. Yup...686, hard to beat for value!
The new ones are slightly different than the one I bought ~40 ago but Beretta's history/reputation separates it from many others.
I once picked up a Ruger and it felt like I was holding a 2X4. That is what I was alluding to about feel. If you've only owned a 12 gauge semi or a 12 gauge pump as I did, you need to develop/hone that.....feel. I have yet to fire a gun that didn't go bang and send shot downfield. But...then there are guns....oh my....
I need a cold shower!! :lol:
My son and I were in Scottsdale at the William Larkin Moore shop. He was eyeing (no...not shopping) a SxS 28 gauge Piotti and a SxS 28 gauge Garbi. My son said, "Look you can buy a new Garbi for the price of a used Piotti!" Actually, the Piotti was marginally more $$$.
I said, to my son, "OK, close your eyes and I will hand you one of these guns. You can tell me which one you held first and which one you held second. (I'm a big Piotti admirer.) Don't open your eyes 'til I say."
He did so. He smiled at me. There was NO comparison. He knew exactly which one was the Piotti and WHY. Yes, she was sultry, curvy, nimble, sexy and YES Feedjake… even svelte! The finish on the Piotti was noticeably superior. She was also out of my price range. :cry:
By-the-way, we were hosted by Mr. Moore himself. He is a gentleman by definition - made us feel very welcome. I thought I knew a little about guns but he has forgotten more than I know and yet he was truly informative and humble. If you are in the area, you MUST stop in!!

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:20 am

I have had a 20 ga. 686 for about 25 years. I have used it for pheasants, quail, chukar, grouse, ducks, geese, rabbits and squirrels. And maybe a few other things!

Since I have bought it I have done 90% of my hunting with it, shot thousands of rounds and never once had a problem, misfire, failure to eject or broken part. It is still smooth as silk, it not a little worn on the outside.

The first time I put it to my shoulder I knew it fit perfectly. My favorite hunting gun.