28 gauge Franchi Veloce

cjhills
GDF Junkie

28 gauge Franchi Veloce

Post by cjhills » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:33 pm

I am looking at a 28 gauge Franchi Veloce.
what do some of the gun people on here think of this gun? What would a fair price be in near mint condition.....Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Featherfinder

Re: 28 gauge Franchi Volce

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:23 am

CJ, I've never held a Veloce in my hands. Oops...I have once and the numbers remind me that they are VERY light. Some consider that a premium.
I'd invest my time seeing if the gun actually fits you personally even more so with a Franchi. The barrels had better be 28" with this gun or it will be VERY whippy. Not sure of your height/build but again, you really need to know this gun fits you.
Franchi's typically use a healthy amount of alloy metals that make them super light. Every one I've tried just didn't feel right for me, regardless of which O/U model it was. And perhaps it's because they are so light and not because there is anything wrong. I may be pre-programmed, so-to-speak.
It's actually called a "Veloce" which translates in to "fast". There's fast and there's whippy. I suggest you try one in your own hands before committing.
Not sure what they're asking, but you can usually pick them up for a fairly inexpensive price.
If it's a 26" Franchi....you may only have it for a wee while.
Last edited by Featherfinder on Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tenderfoot

Re: 28 gauge Franchi Veloce

Post by Tenderfoot » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:51 am

I’ve held and shot a 20 ga. Really lightweight and pointed great. Currently there are a couple 20 ga available on gunbroker, one for $755. Haven’t seen a 28 ga though. Good luck

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:55 am

Correction $755 was the current bid

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:40 pm

I own a Franchi Veloce 28 and enjoy it. It has 26 inch barrels and would probably be better with 28 but I still enjoy the gun and shoot it well. As would be expected a gun that light and short requires some deliberate effort on hard crossing shots. I bought mine new for I think in $1400 price range 10 years or so ago. No idea what the used market is. I think the quality of the gun is in line with its price. The weight and straight grip stock make it effortless to carry and fast to the shoulder.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:49 am

Quote from Averageguy, "As would be expected a gun that light and short requires some deliberate effort on hard crossing shots." Spot on.
That's why I wouldn't own one regardless of price, unless I was flipping it, perhaps?