new gun

DonF
GDF Junkie

new gun

Post by DonF » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:29 am

been looking for a new gun recently. Though about an auto with a 24" barrel, would have to cut it down. It would be kind of like my old Browning double auts. Browning DA is the only self loader gun I've ever owned other than RF's and a few handguns but boy was that Browning nice.

Well looing mostly at SxS's, they are what I prefer. Those thing get real expensive really fast, faster than O/U's. Found a nice Purdy SxS used for a meer $150,000! See a lot in the $50,000 class up!

Set myself on a $3000 max limit and found a few what look like nice ones around $2500. Favorite is another AyA a #4 in 28ga for $2600. Still there when I get the money together I think I'll get it. Still might fool with a short barrel auto too though. Tri Star not expensive and really slim looking. Though about a Rem Special Field but two things wrong. first, every 1100 I ever picked up wae heavy and Rem never made it in 28ga. May have to think about one of their mod 48 Sportsman's. had one it 28ga years ago and never shot the thing. It was nice and light but it those days I was pretty sure I needed a 12ga to kill a quail!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Steve007

Re: new gun

Post by Steve007 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:01 am

Well,you seem to be wandering around here (though I'll grant you, rumination about a new shotgun is fun). Seems you need to narrow your focus. You want a 28g. SxS . Is that correct? As I expect you're aware, there are much better deals (and cheaper ammo) and you can buy better guns for the same money in 20g.

Worth considering, as long as you're shopping.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:14 pm

If you live close to a Cabela's check out the "bleep"'s...…..

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?cate ... zstype=REG

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:45 pm

I have a Renato Gamba Principessa 28ga SxS.

I think it is a well built gun handles well and wood is nice enough. $2000 gun +/-

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Lightweight short barreled autoloader. https://www.benelliusa.com/ultra-light-shotgun

I have one in 12 gauge with a 24 inch barrel. Like and use it alot.

I also have a Benelli Legacy Ultralight 28 ga with a 24 inch barrel that weighs 5lbs. It is fun but you have to be pretty deliberate on crossing shots. I shot a limit of doves with it last opening day. 28s are nice but I do not like them for wild pheasants.

Franchi AL48s are legendary with Bird Hunters. I had one in 20 and never bonded with it but you might. Alot of folks do.

I have a Browning B-80 Upland Special - 6lbs 12 gauge with a 22 inch barrel and a straight grip stock. Shot it alot for stretch til it started malfunctioning. Gunsmith fixed it but I had moved on to another gun and I never returned it to service. Was great on covey rises but a guy had to be pretty deliberate on a crossing shot with that short of a barrel. Expect you could find one used if it interested you.

And I have a workhorse Beretta 1201F in a 12 with a 24 inch chrome lined barrel which patterns everything wonderfully. It has been a go to gun for doves, upland and waterfowl for a long stretch as well. I tend to use the Benelli Ultralight more now for upland birds. Don't know if they are around in 20s or not.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 am

Steve007 wrote:Well,you seem to be wandering around here (though I'll grant you, rumination about a new shotgun is fun). Seems you need to narrow your focus. You want a 28g. SxS . Is that correct? As I expect you're aware, there are much better deals (and cheaper ammo) and you can buy better guns for the same money in 20g.

Worth considering, as long as you're shopping.
Actually 28ga ammo is rather inexpensive for me. i already have one and bought a reloader with the first ammo purchase. Box of field loads was something like $18! Got a flat of target loads for about $11.50 a box. Really like my 28. Though about a 20ga also, haven't had one in a lot of years! But 28 is winning out. Oh, and to make matter's worse, I found a Webley Scott 28ga w/26" barrels in a nice custom case for $7500. So far I have been able to resist! :(

Rumination: Isn't that what you call it when you want a new something that you really don't need! :lol:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 am

nikegundog wrote:If you live close to a Cabela's check out the "bleep"'s...…..

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?cate ... zstype=REG
Been looking all over Central Ore for one and can't find one. I may take a road trip to Cabela's to see one before hand. Don't like the Plantation. That side plate looks like an after though! Do really like the looks of the Estate though!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:15 am

Well, the AyA got dold! Looked at a Webley Scott that was beautiful but well over my limit, it got sold too! Uped my limit to $4k and found a couple more likely be sold before my money get's in. Parker Reproduction, 26" barrels Imp/mod 5lbs 12oz with a luggage case. Then a CSM Connecticut Arms 28ga 26" imp/mod 5lbw 10ozs. This, what ever this will be is gonna be my gun of the lifetime!

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:13 am

I highly doubt you would ever regret seeking out a Parker Reproduction in the ga and configuration of your choice.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:24 am

Tooling wrote:I highly doubt you would ever regret seeking out a Parker Reproduction in the ga and configuration of your choice.
I have a list made of gun's I'm interested in and a Parker is on top of that list. If the Webley Scott was still around I'd probably crash and get it but it's about double the Parker. Parker is $4250. Bit over but got to where I don't care.

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:59 am

$3000 can buy your a nice used double. I would stay away from an auto loader if you know you shoot a SxS better. Aya makes some great guns and I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. The "bleep" guns are nice for the money however are still a Turkish made gun. Check out Cabelas Gun library. There are some deals on there from time to time. There are also some not so good deals but it sounds like you know what you are looking at. If you do find a gun on Cabelas website you like they will ship it to your nearest store for $25 that way you can inspect it before you make a commitment.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:52 pm

DonF wrote:
Tooling wrote:I highly doubt you would ever regret seeking out a Parker Reproduction in the ga and configuration of your choice.
I have a list made of gun's I'm interested in and a Parker is on top of that list. If the Webley Scott was still around I'd probably crash and get it but it's about double the Parker. Parker is $4250. Bit over but got to where I don't care.
Manufacture of the Parker Reproduction came to an end because the factory shifted toward other ambitions. When that occurred, efforts to find another factory to continue production were unsuccessful. That's because no other manufacturer could be found to build the guns at the same level of quality that would allow for a price tag less than 10K. Estimates in todays dollars to build a gun to the same level of quality have been cited as high as 25K. Simply put, there is no other sxs that can even come close to the value the Parker Reproduction represents..make no mistake, they are incredibly well made shotguns. If you're fond of the gun you're looking at, I can say with near certainty the pain of forking over the cash will be long forgotten very quickly. Good luck.

*I know the Parker Repro's pretty well - if there's anything I can help you with while you're looking for one, just reach out here or via pm and I'll be happy to assist however I can by answering q's etc.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:16 am

When a man wants a small gauge sxs, it's because he no longer uses the quantity of birds he bags as the sole measure of enjoyment in the field.

I have many sxs small gauge guns. My bag is typically on the lean side. I'm ok with that. A friend once stated something along the lines of: "Once you pass the KFC on the way out of town (to hunt), you've left rational behavior behind." :D

I have hunted sxs guns for 4 decades, but only about 10 years ago did I start hunting primarily with a 410 sxs. I became obsessed with 410 sxs guns and sought them out across the country. I must have about 6-8 of them and have another on order from Rizzini. I've hunted with a 410 from the Dakotas to Washington and down to the Mexican border, for birds as large as pheasant to little Mearns quail. I even bought a nice 28ga Parker Repro just to convert to 410 with some Galazan barrels I had made for it. For me, especially for dove and quail, a 410 feels right.

I still pick up a larger gauge gun, sometimes a model 12 20ga, sometimes a 28ga, 20ga, 16ga sxs, or even a 12ga sxs, to hunt or shoot some clays. I like em all. I haven't had any autos for many years, but I know I could put more birds in my bag with one. It just doesn't matter how many anymore, just how.

Here's a little Merkel 410/28ga 2 barrel set sidelock gun I picked up about a year ago, along with a matching 16g/20ga 2 barrel set gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 am

Since a Parker Repro was mentioned, here's my 28ga Parker Repro fitted with the 410 barrels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.