Questions about the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon ejectors.

JonBailey

Questions about the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon ejectors.

Post by JonBailey » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:27 am

Is it possible to open this over/under gun up without the empty shells' popping out onto the ground only to be picked up hence causing backaches?

In other words, is there an extractor mode of shotgun operation without full ejection? My idea of an over/under is to eliminate bending over at the range or in the field to recover fired hulls.

If this gun doesn't have factory ejector/extractor options, is there an aftermarket no-gunsmithing kit that will easily convert the gun to extractors back to ejectors vice-versa?

Whenever I open the gun, I only want to remove the fired shells, whether one or two, by hand while leaving any unfired shells, whether one or two, alone.

I was considering a decent but not too expensive over/under.

Beretta SP1 seems to fill the bill as they are not terribly pricey for a European gun.

A buddy of mine had a new Japan-made Browning Citori 12 ga. back in the 1990's but it stunk. The safety/selector switch would scratch off the blueing on the top tang of receiver.
I have shunned the notion of owning a Browning shotgun ever since.

In other thing, does the 686 action get smooth and easy to open as the gun breaks in?

About 15 years ago, I opened a couple new Gold Pigeons, both a 12 and a 20, up at a gun shop and their actions were was so stiff I had to break them open over my knee.
"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

nevermind

Re: Questions about the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon ejectors.

Post by nevermind » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:53 pm

Can you walk and chew bubble gum at the same time... break the gun while holding the butt stock between your elbow area and body, with your hand cupped over the breach to block the shells from ejecting to the ground. I do it all the time. Another way you might want to try (I haven't) is to remove the ejectors slides and cut a couple of coils from the ejector springs. I would purchase a pair of extra springs in case this method doesn't work.
O/U's usually loosen up a little, after use... I would stay away from anything that dropped like a boat anchor (quality concern). None of my SP2's will eject a live round to the ground.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Questions about the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon ejectors.

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:27 pm

As mentioned above, I pop out the springs a cut off some of the coil...takes very little to reduce the ejection oomph.

I suspect there is a limit but Berettas are somewhat easy guns with which to fiddle.