Benelli Ultra Light

USMC

Benelli Ultra Light

Post by USMC » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:21 pm

Okay folks,

Thinking of getting a Benelli Ultra Light in 28ga as my back up. I already own a Beretta Silver Pigeomn I in 28ga. My dogs and I hunt a lot on Huns, Quail and Sharpies...

For those of you that own one, is it too light?

Thanks in advance,

skyehunter

Re: Benelli Ultra Light

Post by skyehunter » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:48 am

Not try to say one is better than the other, just providing more info...The Montefeltro is only .3 lbs heavier and has a capacity of 5 instead of 3. Of course it is not 28 ga. and depends on what you are going to use it for.. Point is, I have the Monte and it is by far my favorite Upland shotgun I have ever owned, especially since it is light, and I use it primarily for Training and hunting Means in the steep hills....get either, you won't regret it!!!

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:22 pm

I have a 20 ga Benelli Montefeltro youth model (24" barrel, 3 shot) that I put a full sized stock on that I use for a back-up to my 28 ga Citori featherlight. And I have handled the 28 ga Ultra Lite at a gun shop & would love to have it too. No gun is too light for me, I would get it.

Springer

Post by Springer » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:36 pm

Buy it. I would like to have one but just do not shoot the smaller birds enough, I barely use my Benelli M1 20ga., I did almost buy a Franchi AL48 in 28 ga. last month for $600 but talked myself out of it.
Kevin

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:27 pm

The monte is awful , if you want the real deal get a Ethos, a cordoba, or the supersport and the ultralight kicks like a mule I bird hunt 60 days a year good luck

smittty

Post by smittty » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:32 pm

last month I picked up a benelli legacy in 28 it weights in at just under 5 lbs and all I can say is wow ...this month I could not help myself and got myself an ultra-lite in 12 that gun is just under 6 lbs and wow again yes the 12 kicks a bit but it is gonna be a dream to carry and it points like a magic wand a 20 will be comeing soon

USMC

Post by USMC » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:12 pm

I own several Benellis and appreciate their reliability. The weight concern was more to do with the 4.9lbs and shooting mechanics of the sport. Recoil doesnt bother me...

Can you swing such a light shotgun effectively?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:32 am

USMC wrote:I own several Benellis and appreciate their reliability. The weight concern was more to do with the 4.9lbs and shooting mechanics of the sport. Recoil doesnt bother me...

Can you swing such a light shotgun effectively?
Recoil bothers everyone.....how much depends upon the particulars.
Same with your last question.
The presentation, bird or clay, mostly determines the influence of very light weight or poor balance on success.
Sometimes, no problem....sometimes, there can be a problem.
But, misses are often blamed on other factors than that which is really occasioning the miss. :idea:

I have shot the 12 BUL a great deal......clays to alders to the short grass.
AT 6#ish, I have had success in all environments and ...problems.
Weight and balance at any extreme simply can require solid performance by the shooter...if not, they can be very unforgiving of our mistakes.
Misatkes often arrive when we are tired, etc. and our performance is less than perfect. :idea:

Why someone wants a scattergun of the weight you are considering is beyond me but that is your choice.
I suspect weight can play in to how tough one considers their hunting and so needing lighter and lighter weight indicates how tough one has it...or how hard core a hunter is.
In these cases, very light weight has an appeal beyond the shooting. :idea:

In point of fact tho...who wants to shoot 'em all?
Shoot what you wish and accept good and bad days both.