Bismuth Shotshells, more choice, better prices!

chiendog

Bismuth Shotshells, more choice, better prices!

Post by chiendog » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:08 am

I wrote a blog post a while ago about my journey down the rabbit hole of trying to find non-lead, non-steel ammo to feed my Darnes. Today, I added an update. I am happy to report that there are now TWO brands of bismuth ammo on the market, and they are very competitively priced.

In the original article, I mentioned Rio's bismuth ammo, and it seems that at least some loads are now listed as 'in stock' on some websites. The 20 gauge shells I'm interested in go for $18.99 for a box of 10, or 17.99 if you buy 10 boxes (100 rounds) and that works out to just under two bucks a pop. Unfortunately, I've yet to find anywhere in Canada where I can purchase Rio's bismuth shells, so for me, my only choice would be to buy some while I am in the Dakotas and shoot them there.*

But there is a new kid in town, with a better price! Kent Cartridge recently announced "the rebirth of an old favorite" by introducing their new Bismuth Premium Shotshells. According to their website they have "... taken everything that was great about bismuth and made it better. Kent’s proprietary manufacturing technique produces bismuth pellets of superior integrity and ballistic capability. This shot is safe for the environment and suitable for use in fixed choke and high grade shotgun barrels".

Even better, checking the listing on the Cabela's website shows that the 20 gauge shells I'm interested in go for $15.99 for a box of 10 (just over a buck and a half a pop).  And best of all, when I called the Kent Cartridge office in Canada yesterday, the nice lady on the phone told me that Kent Bismuth shot will begin shipping to my local dealer in 'late spring or early summer'. YES!!!! It looks like my trip down the rabbit hole of finding decent, affordable non-tox, non-steel shotshells for my Darnes may be paying off.

You can read the original post and the update (with links) here:
http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -lead.html

Please note: My blog posts on this subject are intended to help hunters like me who, for whatever reason, are seeking alternatives to lead or steel ammo. I am not out to convince anyone to stop shooting lead. Do whatever is legal where you are and shoot whatever loads you want. It's all good!

*It is not against Canadian law to import ammo if it is for personal use, and under 5000 rounds. It is however against American law to export ammo without a special permit. In order for a Canadian to purchase ammo in the US and take it out of the country, he/she needs to go through a registered US defence exporter who can handle the transaction and obtain a license to export.

randomnut

Re: Bismuth Shotshells, more choice, better prices!

Post by randomnut » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:43 am

Great news. Hopefully they'll put out a 20 gauge 3" load. Rio bismuth patterns great out of all my shotguns.

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:36 am

Just before the 2016 season opened, I managed to get my hands on a good supply of the new Kent Bismuth ammo in 12 and 20 gauge loads. Now that the season is over, I've finally had the time to write a review of it. Spoiler alert: the stuff ROCKS!

http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2017 ... ivers.html

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:55 am

I did some not so scientific experimenting with Bismuth shells 20 years ago. I found the pellets were breaking apart before they reached my patterning board 25 yards away ( I could pick the broken pellets up off the crusty snow). Has Kent developed a new alloy for the shot they load? If they have, any idea if they will have loads for 2 1/2" chambered guns?

Thanks!

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:25 am

Urban_Redneck wrote:I did some not so scientific experimenting with Bismuth shells 20 years ago. I found the pellets were breaking apart before they reached my patterning board 25 yards away ( I could pick the broken pellets up off the crusty snow). Has Kent developed a new alloy for the shot they load? If they have, any idea if they will have loads for 2 1/2" chambered guns?

Thanks!

Yes, apparently the new bismuth shot is a reformulation that is softer and far less prone to shattering. When cleaning and eating our birds from this fall I didn't find any pellets that had broken apart. They all looked like lead pellets ie: still intact and maybe slightly flattened where they made impact. I have no idea if they will make 2 1/2 inch loads available here, but they are available in the UK

http://gamebore.com/uk/cartridge/game/1 ... re-Bismuth

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:28 am

It's always nice to have more options....one can even wear a rain hat in the sun.
Appearances rock!

wingseeker

Post by wingseeker » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:00 pm

I am an advocate of the Hevishot brand of shotgun shells. I have had nothing but
the super results using them from upland game to waterfowl to turkeys