Berreta 391 Urika issue

SHaRPS

Berreta 391 Urika issue

Post by SHaRPS » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:40 pm

Not sure what's happening but it seems like the whole action gets "tight" when its cold outside. I have had a few shells last year that did not cycle because of this but since its been warmer than normal this year, so far no issues cycling. But I did notice that tightness again last week when it was 40 degrees out. Its the 12G all synthetic. My guess would be oil freezing up? Anyone have this issue before? I am using high brass Remington Express Extra long range shells so I am pretty sure the shell type is not the issue. Please and thank you.

MSU Aggie

Re: Berreta 391 Urika issue

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:30 pm

Had similar issue, cleaned and used a different lubricant and issue went away. Make sure you get the firing pin too, I had some light strikes.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:06 pm

Breakfree CLP, and shoot it wet.

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:29 am

Neil wrote:Breakfree CLP, and shoot it wet.
?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:47 am

SHaRPS wrote:
?
Not sure what you are questioning.

Breakfree CLP is a cleaner, lubricant, and preservative that is sold at most gun shops, Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, etc. This quality oil has been used by the military since the Vietnam War and by most knowledgeable gunsmiths and shooters.

Shooting wet means leaving the excesses oil on and in the gun, not wiping it off.

I have used it successfully in Atlantic Ocean duck blinds down to zero.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:59 am

Ditto on cleaning and "wet".....391s are known for that last preference, I had two of the 20s and they felt much as does an o/u in the hand.
Removing the trigger group could require two men and a boy but...nice scatterguns.
Any lube will work that has proven abilities toward cold weather and the gun sees the occasional move toward maintainence.

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:40 am

You answered my question perfectly! I used my Beretta oil so I wasn't sure what CLP was. However, sounds like I will be purchasing it and applying it to my 391. Thank you!

USMC

Post by USMC » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:26 pm

Neil wrote:
SHaRPS wrote:
?
Not sure what you are questioning.

Breakfree CLP is a cleaner, lubricant, and preservative that is sold at most gun shops, Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, etc. This quality oil has been used by the military since the Vietnam War and by most knowledgeable gunsmiths and shooters.

Shooting wet means leaving the excesses oil on and in the gun, not wiping it off.

I have used it successfully in Atlantic Ocean duck blinds down to zero.

You have given great advice!

Collins1527

Post by Collins1527 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:20 pm

What shells do you shoot? Do you always use the same ones? I heard it was a shell problem. I think it was federal

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Collins1527 wrote:What shells do you shoot? Do you always use the same ones? I heard it was a shell problem. I think it was federal

I am using high brass Remington Express Extra long range shells. Its definitely not the shells in this case as the issue only occurs when the metal gets cold. 45 or below and the action gets tight. In the process of buying some CLP.

3gsps

Post by 3gsps » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:50 pm

SHaRPS wrote:
Collins1527 wrote:What shells do you shoot? Do you always use the same ones? I heard it was a shell problem. I think it was federal

I am using high brass Remington Express Extra long range shells. Its definitely not the shells in this case as the issue only occurs when the metal gets cold. 45 or below and the action gets tight. In the process of buying some CLP.
im gonna say this from my experience, Remington shells are very dirty shells (IE leaves lotsa residue in the action & barrel) so more frequent cleanings might be required!!