Beretta Silver Pigeon I, o/u 20 gauge

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:11 pm

I tried a friend's, and wow... I want one of these for my birthday! (Or maybe sooner.)

What's a good price for one of these? Are used ones worthwhile purchases?

Just a thought... ;)
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Yes worth the purchase. B

S'setter

Re: Beretta Silver Pigeon I, o/u 20 gauge

Post by S'setter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:44 pm

Mine's a 28 ga.. It was $1700 new, seen a few used $13-15! I really like it!

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Berettas hold their value very well.

I have a 12 gauge white onyx and really like it. Almost went with the silver pigeon but didn't care for the engraving on the side. Not even sure if they make the white onyx, but you might be able to find one for a little cheaper than a pigeon. Pretty certain they are essentially the same gun, just different style. I do regret not getting the 20 over the 12, but that just meant I had to buy another gun, so not the worst thing in the world lol!

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:08 pm

I have the 20 gauge black onyx. Love it. Got it for $900. Couldn't pass it up. Now I need the 12 gauge.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm

I have a 20 gauge silver pigeon 1. Got it at "bleep"'s. Paid 1700 after tax tag and title it was 1900'
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

doubleplay

Post by doubleplay » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:21 pm

If you can get it under $1900.00 out the door it's a good deal.

donne

Post by donne » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:58 pm

http://www.silverdollarfirearms.com

I see you're in Tampa. Give Mike a shot. He's got them in stock, all gauges at pretty good prices too. He in the Silver Dollar Shooters Club off Patterson road near the race track.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:02 pm

Yep, your screwed! Be very careful, going down the double gun rabbit hole can lead to an addiction to fancy wood, beautiful engraving, and throwing money away like you have it. Believe me, I know! ;-)

All the 686 field guns are the same, with the exception of finish. The White Onyx and SP1 originally sold for the same price of about $1950. You can find them used for about $1500 or less if you take your time and look. I prefer the Onyx as well just because I think the engraving on the SP1 is a little cheesy, but that's just me. If you look REALLY hard you can even sometimes find them with decent wood. Here's a picture of mine. I love my 686. But be warned. If you go down the double gun rabbit hole, there are guns that will make even that lovely feeling 686 feel like a club. The gun next to my White Onyx is such a gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:16 pm

donne wrote:http://www.silverdollarfirearms.com

I see you're in Tampa. Give Mike a shot. He's got them in stock, all gauges at pretty good prices too. He in the Silver Dollar Shooters Club off Patterson road near the race track.
I didn't catch up on this thread, but as it happens I bought the gun from Mike. And yes, at a very good price. :)

At this point I've had the stock shortened and a custom offset recoil pad put on (final finishing customizing going on as I type this). Put about 100 hours of shooting on it, including sporting clays & birds for Da Boyz. I'm getting there... ;)
=SubMariner=

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:57 am

jetjockey... That's one of the best looking pieces of lumber I've seen on a White Onyx, is it original? SubMariner ... Congrats on the new gun. I think you'll will enjoy shooting the 686. I like the 680 series of Beretta they are reasonably priced (if you shop around) for such a durable gun.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:02 am

Nevermind. Yes it's original. With that said, the gun was a demo that one of the Beretta Reps used before puting it up for sale. Not sure if it got decent wood because Beretta knew it would be a demo, or just because that's the way it worked out. It was in perfect condition when it was purchased, and cost less than $1500.

SubMariner. Congrats on a great purchase. IMO 686's are one of the mechanically best built guns you can buy, especially for the money. Now we need picts or it didn't happen! ;-)

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue May 05, 2015 7:03 pm

Mine is a Silver Pigeon Sporting 12G 30" barrels and I paid 1200 used.
A good bird dog is always the right color

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:48 am

Now that you bought the 20, you should check out the 28 and 410. I started with the 28 then went for the 20, the 12 sporting clays, and then the 410 despite already having 2 other stacked barrel 410s. :)

By to the gentleman that mentioned that thinks stacked barrels are an addiction, you must not have played with the flat guns.

The search for the next side by side never ends.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:34 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:Now that you bought the 20, you should check out the 28 and 410. I started with the 28 then went for the 20, the 12 sporting clays, and then the 410 despite already having 2 other stacked barrel 410s. :)

By to the gentleman that mentioned that thinks stacked barrels are an addiction, you must not have played with the flat guns.

Sorry, but I have no need or inclination to own more than one shotgun. Especially when I put so much time, effort, and $$ into customizing this one.
=SubMariner=

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:24 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:Now that you bought the 20, you should check out the 28 and 410. I started with the 28 then went for the 20, the 12 sporting clays, and then the 410 despite already having 2 other stacked barrel 410s. :)

Pato,
Though SubMariner clearly failed to get your tongue-in-cheek humor on the desire to own these beautiful tools....I'm with you. I'm just now buying my first stacked gun (I think a Silver Pigeon 1), and I already wish I could add more guns and more bling. I definitely think this will become a collection as I continue to save my pennies! SxS's will join in once I have a nice rack of stacked guns...

Robbw

Post by Robbw » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:27 am

I have a Beretta sp1 in 20 that is my hot gun right now. But I agree on the addiction of these break action guns. No room in the safe since I just picked up a Stevens .410 for training and woodcock/quail but have been eying my Browning Citori Field 25 in .28 gauge....and dream of something like a Caesar Guarini. :D