26 versus 28 in barrell

mowermandan

26 versus 28 in barrell

Post by mowermandan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:14 pm

im looking at new o/u shotguns ive narrowed it down to franchi sl red label and cz red head now I need to know what is advantage one over other in barrel length 26 versus 28 I see no difference in stats on the web as far as pattern distance of range etc. what say you? also what about 20 versus 12 for upland bird our pheasant get real spooky in late season and jump sometimes 30 or more yards out not really interested in comparisons of different brands since that is covered in a lot of other posts I know there a lot of people on here that have strong preferences to the label that's a whole different subject

MGIII

26 versus 28 in barrell

Post by MGIII » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:54 pm

It all depends on what fits you.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: 26 versus 28 in barrell

Post by Neil » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Yes fit, larger, stronger guys often get a smoother swing with 28" barrels and the longer plane helps some on farther shots. 12 gauge and premium 5's for wild pheasants.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:29 am

I use a 20 ga with 26 " barrels. Modified and full. I hunt only wild birds and use Prairie Storm shells that are made by Federal. Used to carry a 12 with 28inch, but this is lighter, quicker, and just as effective.

MGIII

26 versus 28 in barrell

Post by MGIII » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:07 am

I too use a 20 gauge with 26" barrels mod and full

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:43 pm

I use a 20 ga semi auto and only use improved cylnder with no issues. My semi auto has 26 in barrel. If I was shooting a sxs or o/u 20 ga I prefer 28". But if I was using a 12 ga I like 26". Its all in the feel (weight and type of gun impacts the barrel length for me). Get what feels good and swings smooth for you. 12 or 20 it doesn't matter.

reba

Post by reba » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:06 pm

20 ga. is all you need.

Killed 20 pheasants with a SXS 20 ga. choked Imp and Mod. 17 of the kills were with the first shot which is the Imp choke.

Number six shot.

If you hit the bird center of pattern it is a dead bird.

I only shoot birds pointed by my dogs. I don't shoot passing shots or at wild flushes.

28 inch barrels for an OU or SXS.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:49 pm

20 Gauge with 28 barrels. Still a light weight gun even with 28" plus the longer tubes will help keep your gun swinging on crossing shots. I bought my 20 gauge CZ Canvasback with 28" barrels as kind of a specialty, early season gun. Once I found Federal Prairie Storm this gun now covers all my hunting needs. Late season pheasants dont stand a chance if I do my job as a shooter.

Dirty Dawger

Post by Dirty Dawger » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:18 pm

I would have to agree with the majority. The right barrel length for you will have as much to do with your build (especially arm length) as anything else. 26" barrels are often touted as being better in dense cover. The only thing that would give you half a chance in really dense cover might be a handgun. 2" or even 4" more might better serve you in terms of balance/feel, a smoother swing and a more effective follow-through. If a bird is shoot-able, it's shoot-able with a 26" barrel or 28" barrel.
The extra length also contributes to "better" target acquisition which is why competitive shooters prefer long barrels. Bird shooters can gain the same benefits however there is a practical limit. Too long a barrel in a field/bird gun is not an asset.

live4point

Post by live4point » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:03 am

I prefer 28 inch barrels on an o/u or sxs,I think they swing better.Remember,28 inch barrel on an o/u are still going to be shorter than the action and barrels on a 26 inch pump or auto.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:12 pm

12 guage.

Been a while.
How is the pup doing

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:18 am

As said gun fit is the most important part of choosing a gun...most guns can be modified to fit you, but there will be a cost added to the price of a bad fitting gun. Choosing between 26" or 28" barrel I think is personal preference.... 28" feels more balanced in swing to me. Late season pheasant hunting I like using #5 shot...M/O and experience on a pattering board a 20ga. shooting #5 shot with 2 3/4" shells isn't adequate for long range shooting on pheasant.... not enough shot = to many holes in the pattern. A 20ga that shoots 3" #5's shot worked well for me on late season pheasants, so I wouldn't buy a 20ga. unless it was capable of shooting 3" shells.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:49 am

I have aleays hunted with a 20 and seldom used 3" shells except as the third shot which is almost never used and have killed many many pheasants with 4 and 5 shot at 30 to 40 yards. I don't see the point in shooting further than that ever. The pate=tern you speak of needs to be checked for individual guns as well as different make of shells as they will all vary. I just never had a problem shooting 3's with an IC or Mod choked gun.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:28 am

mowermandan wrote:im looking at new o/u shotguns ive narrowed it down to franchi sl red label and cz red head now I need to know what is advantage one over other in barrel length 26 versus 28 I see no difference in stats on the web as far as pattern distance of range etc. what say you? also what about 20 versus 12 for upland bird our pheasant get real spooky in late season and jump sometimes 30 or more yards out not really interested in comparisons of different brands since that is covered in a lot of other posts I know there a lot of people on here that have strong preferences to the label that's a whole different subject
There is no difference in pattern quality(or range :D ) due to barrel length, especially between 26" and 28".

Scattergun shooters would be better off without ever reading scattergun "stats"....leave that to baseball.

The 12 has the advantage, somewhat theoretical, in patterning the larger size pellets...better....and those pellets do have an advantage in a true late season with wind and cold and all the rest.
Whether you need the advantages or, better put, wider sweet spot of particulars offered by a 12 is for you to determine....barrel length tho, in that regard, is a non-starter.

It is most likely that a miss or a wounding will not be reduced with the use of either gauge.....a reduction will clearly arrive with the decision made to shoot...or not. :idea:
Too many folks continually see equipment decisions as telling the success tale....I reckon that there is less blame for them in that direction.

Good luck......keep you head on the stock and the gun moving.