22 LR ammo

claybuster_aa

22 LR ammo

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat May 17, 2014 8:02 am

I assume this is happening everywhere, not just where I live, not being able to find 22LR? Luckily, when things started to tighten up, I started to hold on and not shoot my Ruger 1022. I think I may have slightly over 2K rounds. Three full bricks and a bunch of loose boxes of 50s. Kinda of a shame, because with that 1022 you can probably go through a brick in about 20 min.
A good bird dog is always the right color

jwnissen

Re: 22 LR ammo

Post by jwnissen » Sat May 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Yup, its a nationwide thing. I work for a gun store part time and we are finally starting to see some come in more frequently. If the HOARDERS would stop buying it, then there might be some for everyone. FYI, there is only 1 ammunition facility, ATK in Lewiston Idaho, that has a dedicated 24/7 rimfire line and is making ALOT of ammo. The problem is they are supplying the entire US. The other manufacturers have to shut down and re-tool their production line which I have heard takes quite a few days and cost them millions. So they only do it once or twice a year and make rimfire ammo in batches. Also, there are a lot more first time shooters in the last 2 years so they are starting with .22's which is helping the shortage. Hope this helps everyone understand why there is a shortage, although I know it doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat May 17, 2014 10:02 pm

I suspect it is more than just hoarding. I think a lot has to do with politics. I think a month or so prior to the midterm election we will see some buying opportunity, the shelves will be well stocked with whatever you need. Maybe even see some shotgun powder returning to the shelves just before the midterms. Shortly after the election the shelves will miraculously be emptied again.

Here in CT, for handgun ammo I see 9mm, 40, 45 more often. What you don't see is 22LR, 25, 32, and 380. Once in a blue moon you may see a lone box or two, but that's about it.
A good bird dog is always the right color

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun May 18, 2014 7:57 am

It is mostly Hoarding. The local Gander Mtn. store received 22,000 rounds of .22 ammo on Wed. and was sold out by Fri. aft. They are bought by some who then go too the weekend gunshow and sell the ammo for a profit to the gullable who will pay 2x what it is worth. They are there on Wed. am. when the truck comes in. The working guy who has a JOB gets screwed becasue he has a life and a job. One person bought 10,000 rounds alone. Then another came in and when there wasn`t any and I quote "How am I supposed to make a living if you don`t have any ammo? " The gun and ammo industry profits are at an all time high, they love the fanatics and Democrats. :roll:

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun May 18, 2014 9:34 am

Vman wrote:It is mostly Hoarding. The local Gander Mtn. store received 22,000 rounds of .22 ammo on Wed. and was sold out by Fri. aft. They are bought by some who then go too the weekend gunshow and sell the ammo for a profit to the gullable who will pay 2x what it is worth. They are there on Wed. am. when the truck comes in. The working guy who has a JOB gets screwed becasue he has a life and a job. One person bought 10,000 rounds alone. Then another came in and when there wasn`t any and I quote "How am I supposed to make a living if you don`t have any ammo? " The gun and ammo industry profits are at an all time high, they love the fanatics and Democrats. :roll:

Which is why most places are putting limits on ammo which pisses people off almost as much as not having it!! Our store has yet to run out of any ammo other than .380 and .22. We came close a couple times. As far as the midterm comment, we deal directly with ammunition manufacturers and know there is not much to have. Powder is a whole different story and have heard why that is short directly from the sources as well, but that's a whole different post :roll: :D

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:49 am

When I spoke to a few guys at the local gun shop they stared that the reason .22 is rare is because when there are "shortages" manufactures produce the larger/more expensive rounds as they have better profit margins than .22. That and the hoarders. However IMO, power to the hoarders, they're keeping the ammo manufactures super strong. I think my mild inconvenience is worth it, but i'm only buying 12ga 90% of the time anyway.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue May 20, 2014 1:37 pm

There is no positive to hoarding other than to the emotional needs of the hoarder and to those who manipulate them.

While shotshell cost and availability is not where I would like them and since I no longer shoot clays to any significant degree....the world remains spinning.
Shame for new shooters though.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue May 20, 2014 2:12 pm

The NRA had a good article on the subject a few months back, basically saying at the present time ammo manufacturers are producing .22 ammo at record rates never being seen before and being sold as fast as they go on the shelf. Hoarders are one issue the other issue is record gun sales along with the way people shoot. Those AR style .22s that are all the rage, aren't exactly being used as precision target rifles more of a smoke and hope style.

live4point

Post by live4point » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:09 pm

The problem is hoarders.I've talked with workers at several wal-mart stores, they say the same people buy up the 22 ammo as soon as it comes in.I believe the whole problem could be easily solved though.Used to be, very few people bought big boxes of 22 ammo, you just bought a box or two of 50 because it was always plentiful. Now with the shortages, stores like wal-mart have put a 3 box limit on 22 ammo, but will sell you 3 boxes of 500 rounds.If stores only sold boxes of 50 and kept the 3 box limit I believe the problem would soon be solved, and everyone would soon be able to buy some ammo.The hoarders and resellers want the big boxes, not worth their time and money to drive around nab up 3 boxes of 50.I also know that this 22 ammo fiasco is affecting gun sales, some people are passing on buying new 22 guns because they cant find ammo.