Gun Safe

Tooling

Gun Safe

Post by Tooling » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Been putting thought into another safe for guns etc.

Been looking for something used from an old bank or a jeweler (TLTR30) and have found a few. I have the tools/resources to build a nice interior and all and this type of safe is so far beyond the quality of anything in the "consumer" market it's not even funny...problem is that they come in at about 4,000 / 5,000 lbs....pretty tough to get into the house and rather heavy for a crawlspace :|

Sooooo...been looking at the traditional safes...pretty much have narrowed it down to two

1. National Security (Liberty)
2. Browning Gold Series

Thoughts? Experience with either etc? Satisfied?

The Browning can be ordered with a rather nice looking bird dog on the door...a GSP no less :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

reba

Re: Gun Safe

Post by reba » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Get the mechanical lock with out regards to the type of safe.

Between the two, which ever one is the least expensive......................

nwnick

Re: Gun Safe

Post by nwnick » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:56 pm

I agree with Reba regarding the mechanical lock. Call me old school but with as much access to electronics these days I would guess the mechanical is far more difficult to crack than an electrical locking system but I don't speak from experience, just my opinion.
I have a National Security vault door. I built my house in 1999 and it has a daylight basement and 1/2 the house is crawl space so I already had 2 9' walls of 8" thick concrete so I just had my contractor form 2 more walls and with a 6" thick concrete lid I had my vault. It's 6'x10' on the inside and has power. I mounted the NS vault door in one evening with the help of a couple friends and some 6' long strips of UHMW to slide it across the floor on. A couple of those friends have laid concrete filled cinder blocks and mounted the same door at their homes since they were already built. One was in his pole barn and one in his garage where they both already had concrete floors. None of us have any regrets with the NS door. and if their safes are anything like the door we can and would highly recommend them !
One suggestion a safe is like a garage or pole building, no matter what size you get it will never be big enough. I own my own business so I also captured a tax deduction to the total cost because I keep all of my business and personal tax receipts and records in it in addition to my firearms. Just something else to consider