Left handed youth shotgun

pudelpter

Left handed youth shotgun

Post by pudelpter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Any recommendations? Want something that's not too heavy in 20 gauge for my son. He is about 80 lbs.

magspa

Re: Left handed youth shotgun

Post by magspa » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:35 am

I am also a lefty and have had a few. Mossberg 500 youth model, shells will eject to the right but has top tang safety sp a good choice. Browning BPS is also a good choice cause bottom ejection and top tang safety, not sure if they have a youth model though, personally i never liked the one I had other than for turkey hunting. Benellis make some leftie models plus their regular right models all have reversible saefty if they dont offer a youth leftie. I currently shoot a right handed M2 with the safety reversed. Shells ejecting to the right never bothered me, actually i like it better if i have to pop a shell right in the chamber quickly. but I dont like reaching under the trigger guard to turn safety off, you lose valuable time before the shot, especially with bird hunting. My first shotgun was a New England single shot break open 20ga. Shot grouse, squirrel, turkey, and pheasant with that simple gun. I think they are the best option for a kid just learning. For safety of course and to make the first shot count.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 am

Lefty here also, I shoot a Benelli M2 with the safety flipped and stock shims (included with gun) set for lefty. Fantastic setup....

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:22 am

I'm a lefty and am a huge fan of the Mossberg 500. The tang safety makes a big difference. I have no issues with the shells ejecting out the right side.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:55 pm

The BPS youth model is nice plus you could add a full size stock as he grows. Ithaca model 37 also bottom eject. I personally learned to shoot right handed but do every thing else left handed.

pudelpter

Post by pudelpter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:01 am

I wish they made a left handed wingmaster. I might have to try the micro bps but it is pretty heavy. I could also do a double barrel for him, but they get spendy for using it for a couple of years. Condor has a youth and cz makes a redhead in smaller dimensions.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:33 am

If you can afford a double sxs or o/u, its a great way to keep safe for a youngster. Teach him to keep the gun open when he is actively hunting, coming into people and around people, crossing fences, etc... Everyone can see from a distance that the gun is deactivated when its broke open and be relaxed. In fact with a pointing dog, I often walk around with the gun open and sometime not loaded. I'm not going to shoot the volunteer flushes anyway. So why have a loaded gun? Same could be said for pumps and autos, if safety is your number one concern.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:41 am

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:37 pm

First check him for eye dominance. He might be left handed and right eye dominate, in which case he should learn to shoot right handed. Do a Google for a simple dominacy test.

Second SxS and O/U have a different cast for left or right handed.

I am a fan of a wood stocked 20 gauge Rem 1100. Cut it off 1/2" at time until it fits, then glue the pieces back as he grows.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:07 am

Okay, not exactly what you asked for but will offer the following:

CZ Bobwhite SxS 28ga. w/26" barrels (comes with 5 screw in chokes)
This gun is light enough to tote around the field and doesn't pack a wallop on a youngster.
They can walk with the gun broke open and you can be 35 yards away, look over and know
that they are safe by simply seeing a broke open gun.

My now 14 year-old son starting shooting this gun 2 seasons ago as a 12 year-old (and probably just
about 80 lbs.).

It's a well made gun that he won't outgrow & that even you will want to shoot. During Woodcock season
up here, if I'm hunting & my son is in school...... I shoot the CZ 28ga. !! :lol:

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

magspa

Post by magspa » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:19 am

Neil wrote:First check him for eye dominance. He might be left handed and right eye dominate, in which case he should learn to shoot right handed. Do a Google for a simple dominacy test.

I am a fan of a wood stocked 20 gauge Rem 1100. Cut it off 1/2" at time until it fits, then glue the pieces back as he grows.

Did not know this. I have been shopping for a SXS. Do they produce left-handed versions of SXS?

Si the britt

Post by Si the britt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:10 am

As a dad with 4 kids into shooting sports I can offer the following advice. Let him test shoot some guns first. My 12 yr old daughter is lefty. She started shooting league trap at age 10. She shoots a right handed benelli m2. She is recoil sensitive so we went through a lot of guns before arriving at this one. She hated shooting pumps and o/u because of the recoil. When I finially bit the bullet and bought her the m2 she fell in love with shooting. She should finish the year with an 18 average. She has no issues with a right handed auto. My 10 yd old daughter also has issues with recoil. She is shooting a benelli montefeltro with a youth stock. Has no issues and also shoots on my league team. My son is 7 . He is tougher that his sisters and is already shooting a 20 gauge. He can even last a whole round of trap with no problems. With him I don't think I will have to be as careful with gun selection. As long as it fits. That is this winters project. Let him shoot, make sure the gun fits, and don't over gun him. I chose not to go with lefty models because most of the guns the will encounter will always be righty. But they do have a standing offer to go lefty guns anytime they want.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:42 am

magspa wrote:
Neil wrote:First check him for eye dominance. He might be left handed and right eye dominate, in which case he should learn to shoot right handed. Do a Google for a simple dominacy test.

Did not know this. I have been shopping for a SXS. Do they produce left-handed versions of SXS?
Yes, they make a few left hand SxS and even fewer O/U, some have the stocks bent, most just crawl the stock.

More important is the eye dominance issue, most fail to even check, and forget to recheck.

pudelpter

Post by pudelpter » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Found a Stoeger youth uplander side by side in 20 gauge with a 22 inch barrel, 13 inch lop, dual triggers and auto safety. Was hoping for an over under, but he thinks it's pretty cool. Should be able to use it for a couple of years and sell it for close to what we paid. Hitting the range this weekend to try it out.

nwnick

Post by nwnick » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:14 pm

My suggestion - take a look at the Ithaca Model 37. Just looked on GunsInternational.com and just halfway thru the 1st page there are 2 20 gauges for $750- $799 one with 3 choke tubes the other fixed choke. The Model 37's usually have a neutral cast and they eject thru the bottom so if your son isn't hunting with you, you can hunt with the gun without shells ejecting across your face ( assuming you shoot right handed ? )
I agree with the eye dominance test for sure I am right handed but left eye dominant so I shoot left handed myself. I grew up hunting with a Model 37 and loved that gun. Solid gun that handled everything from slogging thru the mud and muck of Oregon duck hunting to the fast paced dove hunting we had when I was growing up with not so much as a hiccup.
Good luck , whatever you decide