How to paint a shotgun camo

Derrick

How to paint a shotgun camo

Post by Derrick » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:21 pm

Better late then never. I have received a couple PM's from members looking for the step by step, so here it is. Sorry guys i've been really busy lately but better late than never haha.

This is on a Savage 7mm Mag but its the same process for a shotgun.

Step one

Buy Kyrlon ultra flat camouflage spray paint. One base color and one dark color for the accent colors. On my semi auto in the first picture I used desert tan and olive while on the shotgun with the duck in the stock of my other thread I used Khaki, khaki is a little darker than desert, both of them I used an olive top coat though. I like them both, and honestly I dont know what one I prefer more. Its all up to you.

http://www.amazon.com/home-improvement/dp/B00176UX26

Heres the paint. You can easily buy it at walmart or home depot or any place that sells spray paint.

Also you will need a corn broom. I used little corn brooms made for dusting off horses, but you can use a full size broom, I just happened across some small ones real cheap.

Step two

Take the corn broom and cut chunks off of it about a round as you can fit in your fist. Then tape the bottoms to hold them together, use duck tape or something strong and be sure to tape it tight.

Last edited by Derrick on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Derrick

Re: How to paint a shotgun camo

Post by Derrick » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Step three

Break down your gun and use either a mixture of half water half alcohol and wipe it down to clean everything off it, or I use auto body wax and grease remover. Both of them will work fine. Then hang them up and prepare them for a base coat.

Step four

Take your base color (the light one) and give the parts a dust coat which is a real light coat to allow a base for the other coats to stick to. Then apply two regular coats and let dry.

Derrick

Post by Derrick » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Step five

Next is the most important step and I suggest practicing on a piece of scrap cardboard. And this is the hardest step, especially for you guys that are also engineers like me and need everything perfect (you know what I mean haha), let loose and not try to make everything so perfect because that will only hurt the process.

Now take one of your pieces of cut and fanned broom pieces and hold it over your pieces, using quick shots spray the top dark green coat through the broom in your hand over the stock. It will spray through the broom pieces and work as a template for the dark green. You can move it anyway you like on there to make a uniform or non uniform look, whatever you prefer.

Then wait for it to dry and reassemble your gun. I have done a handful of them, people have seen them and ask me all the time if I will spray theirs now.

Good luck! And be sure to post up in here the finished product if you decide to do it yourself

Derrick

Post by Derrick » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Here is my shotgun I did

And here is a friends. We also taped up a duck commander stencil and put that in the stock, then got bored with the left over paint and did his case. We were wondering what it would turn out like if we used the dark color for a base and the light for a top, so in case your wondering too, ive done that too and its on the case in this picture, it doesn't look as good IMO but doesn't look bad either.

doubleman7651

Post by doubleman7651 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:43 pm

I believe many of us think that the effort requires more than necessary, if you want a nice paint job that's fine, not necessary, the birds dont care if its nice or not