Double barrel shotgun

byrdmann68

Double barrel shotgun

Post by byrdmann68 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Anybody tell me about Stoeger and CZ shotguns from their personal usage..am wanting to purchase either sxs or o/u...relatively inexpensive, and dependable a must!

roaniecowpony

Re: Double barrel shotgun

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:06 pm

Byrdman
The CZ guns are ok, but not a high quality gun. Some guys have no trouble at all with them, and I've heard of some problems.

Stoegers are junk in my opinion.

If that price is your budget, take a look at the used SKB guns. Models 100 & 150 will be the lower cost models and the 200 series will be later production and higher cost. They are excellent quality and still reasonable. Stepping up a bit, the Browning BSS. I have 4 BSS guns. They are excellent quality.. All these are out of production. GunsInternational.com is a major website to search.

byrdmann68

Post by byrdmann68 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 am

Not looking to spend the money my father(Browning Broadway skeet/trap) and grandfather(Ithica) spent on matching sets...just looking for a and inexpensive double barrel in .410,.28ga, or .20ga....that I don't have to stress over if the stock gets scratched, etc. Have owned expensive guns that collected dust, rather than taken to the field--out of fear....

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Never owned either one.
Pushed to a shove tho, I would take a CZ and hope.
That said, for hunting with little shooting, either gun will go boom most of the time.
Neither is likely to have a good trigger, comparably, which is right ahead of balance in importance and they both will be subject to all issues of all scatterguns built to a low price point.
A better bet would indeed be a used SKB or, better yet, a Miroku.

germandogs12

Post by germandogs12 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:28 am

I have both a CZ and a Stoeger. They are very reliable and at a price point you cant beat. I have Bellini, Browning, and Kreighoff but I do 90 % of my hunting with the less expensive guns. I have even shot skeet with mine and while everyone laughed it did a good job. Not a Krieghoff but I am not a gun snob.

You will not be unhappy with either.

ThreeWires

Post by ThreeWires » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:18 am

I have a 20g CZ RIngneck which I really enjoy and have had no problems with. Beautiful gun for the money. The lack of ejectors can be a little frustrating when the shooting is good, but for the money and the weight of the gun, it is the price you pay.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:58 pm

My son inherited a CZ Bobwhite (20 ga.) from his grandfather. The very first time my son used the gun, he dropped a grouse on the wing with it. For a lower end gun, I've found it to be very nicely made and actually pretty good looking.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Take a look at Yildiz if you can get them in your area
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:06 pm

I had a CZ O/U (Canvasback) that I really wanted to like, but I couldn't hit a dang thing with it, just didn't fit, so I sold it. Point being, value, quality, etc doesn't mean a thing if you and the gun don't meld.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:35 pm

I have CZ Redhead in 20 gauge, a Baikal 20 gauge, 2 Ithaca 37's in 12's and a Beretta Prevail Sporting in 12 gauge.

I will almost always take the Baikal in the field. The wood work is a big yawn but the metal work is great, not a stamped part in the whole action. The problem most people have with Baikals is the stiffness, boy when they are new, are they a chore to open.

Someone mentioned an SKB, that would be a great gun, used especially.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed May 08, 2013 7:09 am

I bought a Stoeger Uplander SxS 20 ga 26" barrels to hunt grouse with. I love it. When a piece in my 870 wore out (50 yr old gun), the Stoeger picked up the slack until I got the new piece for the 870. I've had no problems with it, killed a bunch of pheasants, grouse and quail.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Thu May 09, 2013 12:14 pm

mtlhdr wrote:I had a CZ O/U (Canvasback) that I really wanted to like, but I couldn't hit a dang thing with it, just didn't fit, so I sold it. Point being, value, quality, etc doesn't mean a thing if you and the gun don't meld.
Had a CZ Upland Ultralight, loved the weight and fit..but for some reason I couldn't hit with it either. Went and shot clays, tried to figure out why, still no luck. Maybe cuz I'm a lefty and it didn't really fit, I don't know...sold it....back into a Benelli and hitting hard again.

jimmymaranki

Post by jimmymaranki » Mon May 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Right now I have a stoeger uplander supreme. I have the combo in 12 and 20 gauge. The gun shoots well in both gauges. Last weekend, I used the 12 gauge barrels and I scored 78 out of 100 in sporting clays. It is a smooth handling smoothbore definitely worth the $595.00 I spent for it. Incidently, I used winchester shells.

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Sat May 18, 2013 6:31 am

I bought a CZ Grouse 28ga about 2 years ago. Never did quite like the fit as I saw too much of the barrel. Most of these guns look a little strange as where the chokes are installed the barrel bulges. It started doubling after less than a box of shells. Sent it back to the factory and they fixed it in about three weeks. Decided to pattern the gun after I got it back and the second barrel shot about 12 inches too the left. Took it back to the guy I got it from and traded it on a Benelli M2 20 ga which is a great shooter. I later bought a Stoeger 20ga sxs just to do dog training. It was so stiff in the action I could hardly break it open. Through internet I was able to get instructions on how to take it apart, clean and polish the parts. It now works fine and is a good shooting gun. It was only $340 so I got what I paid for, but with alittle work it is fine now, nothing fancy.

If you can find a good Ithaca 20 ga sxs that would be your best bet, it is a good shooter, sound good quality gun that will last a lifetime.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sat May 18, 2013 5:01 pm

I have a stoeger 12 gauge o/u. owned it for probably 5yrs now....probably 10K rounds or so through it. Had some problems not firing top barrel once, gunsmith fixed her up pretty easily, he polished a bit of the metal to metal work also. Just a fine field gun in my mind, a little heavy, a little barrel heavy in balance, wood sucks....but it goes boom every time now...no problems at all. shot a couple yrs competitive sporting clays with it without a problem.....nothing fancy at all but has been pretty problem free for me.

deke

Post by deke » Thu May 23, 2013 4:54 pm

I used to shoot benelli's Now I only shoot my cz. I bought the upland ultra light. Very fast swinging gun on quail, and it does not wear you out after carrying the thing around all day. And I am not afraid to beat the brush with it. CZ gets my vote. Just buy new chokes, the factory ones do not pattern worth a "bleep".

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat May 25, 2013 9:43 pm

I've got a CZ bobwhite 20ga no problems, If I was looking for an inexpensive gun I would'nt look past a Yildiz.