Best Patternmaster Ammo

Mollyontherun

Best Patternmaster Ammo

Post by Mollyontherun » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 pm

I bought a Pattern Master Mid-Range for my 20 Gauge.

I have been shooting an IC Choke with:
- 3" 1550 fps 7/8 oz. #3 early season and #2 Kent Steel late season for waterfowl
- 2 3/4" Remington #6 1330 fps 1 oz. for Pheasant.

I've been told the Pattern Master does better with slower loads. I've been wondering if I should try as different waterfowl load? Remember, the Pattern Master on the Patternboard won't tell the whole story because the PM is suppose to shorten the shot string. Have seen one in action last hunt season- I'm convinced.

I'm considering trying Federal Premium Steel ULTRA-SHOK High Velocity Steel, 20 Gauge 3" #1 1 oz 1350 fps

I would be duck hunting with this load and shooting over decoys out to 40 yards. Anyone have any thoughts?

Mollyontherun

Re: Best Patternmaster Ammo

Post by Mollyontherun » Wed May 01, 2013 12:18 am

FYI... a couple of replies were lost in a board glitch. Thanks for your responses. I decided to go with Kent #3 3" Steel. I'll use this load for Phez. If I hunt public preserve- I'll use my IC. That PM Choke really reaches out too far to risk using it in an area where other hunters may be close.

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm running an extended range Patternmaster & have great results with Hevi Metal

Mollyontherun

Post by Mollyontherun » Fri May 03, 2013 10:22 am

have great results with Hevi Metal
I think that would be an excellent choice for me too. However, I'm not willing to pay the extra money for this load. In fact, this was one of the reasons I choose a PM. I'm hoping to have to do less sluicing of the ducks on the water. Thereby saving money by shooting less shells.