Browning Auto 5 Barrel Options

treedaddy

Browning Auto 5 Barrel Options

Post by treedaddy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:06 am

I have new to me Browning Auto 5 20 gauge with a fixed skeet barrel. I also have a 28 inch plain matte Belgium barrel, full choke in unused condition. I am a quail, dove and pheasant hunter and would like an improved or modified barrel in addition to the skeet barrel. I have been trying to sell or trade the full barrel with no luck. Are there any good options at reasonable cost to change the choke on this barrel to make it more open? What about installing chokes? I am not sure of the thickness of this Belgium barrel as to the possibility of having chokes installed. Input welcomed.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Browning Auto 5 Barrel Options

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:12 am

Belgim barrels are thin-ish...I would say choke tubes are out.
I would contact Mike Orlen and consider having the constriction opened a tad, should that be your wish.
He would best advise on choke tubes or choke work though.

I am well satisfied with both IC and M barrels for my Sweet 16....woodcock to pheasants.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:23 am

Send it to Briley and have them install their thin choke tubes.

I did a number of years ago.

Don't send your barrel anyplace else!!!!!

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Try some of the gun sites for used barrels, Ebay usually has barrels though Auto 5 20 ga may be tough to find. Briley does good work but you could send your barrel in and have a poly choke installed for less money. I didn't use to think much of poly chokes till I had one put on a 870 much quicker to change than tubes. You never have to worry about losing tubes or a wrench. The company is in Wisconsin, Oshkosh I think, do internet search. The turnaround was quick and like I said I like it.posting.php?mode=reply&f=86&t=41229#

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:20 pm

The cheapest option is to have it openned up to your desired choke. Having Briley screw choke it will cost as much as some of these barrels. My choice would be that vent rib modified choke barrel about halfway down the page from the link below.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Barrel ... cat_id=906