ruger red label question

steamer

ruger red label question

Post by steamer » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:50 pm

im looking at a used red label in 20 ga. i did a small bit of research and it seems some have a stainless receiver, black butt pad, and screw in chokes. others seem to have a blued receiver, red butt pad, and fixed barrels. my question is other than the already stated what are the differences between the two? is one better than the other? the one im looking at is the blued receiver,fixxed barrel mdl. it appears to be lightly used and in great shape. the asking price is $1050. any feedback or info would be great thanks.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: ruger red label question

Post by nikegundog » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:28 pm

steamer wrote:im looking at a used red label in 20 ga. i did a small bit of research and it seems some have a stainless receiver, black butt pad, and screw in chokes. others seem to have a blued receiver, red butt pad, and fixed barrels. my question is other than the already stated what are the differences between the two? is one better than the other? the one im looking at is the blued receiver,fixxed barrel mdl. it appears to be lightly used and in great shape. the asking price is $1050. any feedback or info would be great thanks.
They came with both blued and SS receivers however you will find less of the blued. Screw in chokes will just depend on the age of the gun with the newer ones have the screw-in. Not quite sure about the black butt pad, I don't know if I haven't seen one or just haven't paid attention, does it have the Ruger logo? That price seems about right, the 20's seem to be getting a premium, the 12's (at least around here) are priced around $750-$900.

ROTTnBRITT

Re: ruger red label question

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:30 pm

My dad got his red label in the early 80's. It has fixed barrels and red butt pad.
I think he said he only paid like 500 for it new. He bought my brother and I red labels in the mid 90's and paid around $800 new. They have screw in chokes with black butt pad.
Wouldnt be nice if prices were still they same as back then. :)