over and under chokes

ibbowhunting

over and under chokes

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:41 pm

what would you sugguest is a good setup for chokes in a 20 ga over under to hunt grouse with i'm thinking the 2nd barrel should be a full, and does it matter which barrel you should fire first, shouldn't matter but maybe i'm missing something

jimbo&rooster

Re: over and under chokes

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:55 pm

i have never hunted grouse, but for quail, I shoot sheet in the first bbl and Imp mod, in my second. late season quail, and game farm pez I shoot imp cyl, then modified.

If im shooting over my flushng dog, I shoot modified then full.

unless you are shooting 30+ yds or big hardy birds I dont feel like full choke has any place in shooting over a pointing dog.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:06 pm

I have not hunted Ruffs, but for wild BW quail, Pheasants and Prairie Chicken, I generally shoot Skeet / Imp Cyl over pointing dogs.

The tightest choke I have ever shot over a pointing dog is Mod, and that was late season pheasants on a windy day.
Steve

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:31 pm

SK 1 and MOD over pointing dogs. Late season ND, I'll carry a IC and IM...when the birds start getting jumpy.

JeffLex00

Post by JeffLex00 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:21 pm

Being in Minnesotta, I assume you are refering to hunting ruffed grouse. If that is the case, I would definitely shoot Improved Cylinder and Modified. I shoot I/C in my top barrel (first shot) and Modified in my bottom barrel. I don't know if it is better to shoot top or bottom barrel first? I just shoot the top because it is more natural for me as far a reloading after only taking one shot. I shoot this setup because unless birds are busting early, the more open pattern of an I/C is plenty tight for when a grouse first flushes, but the modified is a little tighter so if you need a second shot, the modified will carry out a little tighter when the grouse is a little further out. I would not suggest shooting a full choke (way too tight in my opinion), but obviously see what others have to say.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:08 am

Skeet/Modified works well, say .005 and .015 mite be better and depends upon cover and shots you take.
Late season can find the second barrel IM or F in some areas...otherwise, M or LM works best.
Basically a choke open and slightly less open is the answer...choke is not terribly important other than at some extreme of choice or shot.

Most shoot the lower barrel first as the muzzle jump will be theoretically less, felt recoil possibly less as well but....I doubt it matters much with ruffed grouse loads.
Basically, I would never shoot the squence differently for consistentency with any O/U scattergun you pick up.
Untill the supposed and often imagined advantages of choke tubes and therefore choke decisions beyond the purchase date....most all O/Us were set to fire the bottom barrel first with a NS trigger or DT O/U....and choked either IC-M or M-F.
Same as SXSs firing the right barrel first traditionally.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:29 pm

MF...Lower first. I hunt on the prairie so there is no hurry to shoot if a bird is too close.