Strap on O/U

BigTub

Strap on O/U

Post by BigTub » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Does anyone of you use a carry strap on your over/under? I have a couple of 20 gages (beaters but still nice) that I want to put screw-in swivels along with a strap. Mearns hunting and most of my quail hunting involves 99% walking and maybe on a great day 1% shooting. The salesman at a sporting goods store where I asked about putting on a strap seemed almost insulted that I would consider putting one on the gun. Is putting on a strap that strange?

jimbo&rooster

Re: Strap on O/U

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:14 pm

I ordered a gamekeepers strap through connecticut shotgun co that slides over the bbl and stock which kept me from having to drill my O/U and since im not usually in a hurry to unsling my gun when the dogs are on point its not a huge inconvenience to unsling the slip on strap.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Strap on O/U

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:22 am

A bit strange, yes.
Especially on an upland scattergun...turkey, deer and waterfowl not so odd.
That does not mean it is wrong, a bad idea or anything.
Just means the sight is less seen here than say, in Europe, where swivels are much more common.
Carrying much, leading a couple dogs, hills, etc. all can make a sling well-chosen.
I have them unasked on a Sauer SXS and thankfully they don't rattle....that is an annoyance to me.
And needing to carry the sling in a pocket, as in grouse cover it would be a very poor idea, would be another annoyance.
But, if the wood and forend design supports the strain and your particulars call for it, then sling away.

I might not sling a Boss 20 O/U tho.... :wink: