Gun shopping

rinker

Gun shopping

Post by rinker » Wed May 02, 2012 1:14 pm

My son started shooting skeet when he was about 9 years old. I bought him a youth model 20 gauge at that time. I told him that when he had quit growing that I would buy matching 12 gauges for him and me. He is now 17 and has outgrown his youth model. My career has changed a little in the last 8 years and I am on a little bit more of a budget than I would have been in the past. I would like to stick to around $1,000, per gun, but get a nice one that will last. We shoot some skeet, trap, and bird hunt. I have no need to shoot heavy loads. I have not been gun shopping in years and I am not sure what is out there that fits the parameters that I have given. Any advice?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Gun shopping

Post by nikegundog » Wed May 02, 2012 1:37 pm

You can find a great deal of nice guns for under $1000, however there seems to be a sweet spot for a lot of peoples favorites in the $1000-$1300 range if that is a possiblity. Are you thinking Semi-auto or O/U or what?

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed May 02, 2012 2:16 pm

I was originally thinking O/U, but all of the ones that I like seem to be a little out of my price range. I am looking at the Benelli Montefeltro, which seems to run about $1,200. I think that I may be able to negotiate a little since I am buying two of them.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed May 02, 2012 2:27 pm

rinker wrote:I was originally thinking O/U, but all of the ones that I like seem to be a little out of my price range. I am looking at the Benelli Montefeltro, which seems to run about $1,200. I think that I may be able to negotiate a little since I am buying two of them.
I don't own a Montefeltro but hunt with quite a few guys who do, and they have nothing but good things to say about them, thats why I brought up the wiggle room with price, I myself wouldn't rule out a gently used, quality O/U which you can find in that $1000 price range.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed May 02, 2012 3:06 pm

I would be fine with a gently used gun, but I need to find two of them.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Fit is most important. I hope the identical guns fit you both equally well, otherwise identical guns will be a poor choice. If going for used I'd be inclined to purchase a newer gun with screw-in choke tubes for greater flexibility under different shooting situations.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed May 02, 2012 7:24 pm

rinker wrote:I was originally thinking O/U, but all of the ones that I like seem to be a little out of my price range. I am looking at the Benelli Montefeltro, which seems to run about $1,200. I think that I may be able to negotiate a little since I am buying two of them.

nice gun BUT i like GAS operated BERETTA URICKA FIELDS better.stay with gas operated shotguns as you get a LOT less recoil.

birddognut

Post by birddognut » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:34 pm

If you are still looking. Check out the Franchi Instinct. Handeled one for the frist time last week. I really liked it 20 Ga. is under 6 pounds.Price was just under $1200 seems like a good price for what you get.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Just get 2 stoger competitions (made by benelli) o/u for around 400 each and save the extra 600 - 800 per gun :D

Corry

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:36 am

The Benellis, Berettas and Franchis are all really nice, light weight, low recoil. They even make some good looking ones with nice wood. They have the shim kits to change the angle of the stock. I can see one of them being a good do all gun since you don't need to shoot 3 1/2 s at anything. So you dont need to pay extra for a Sbe or Vinci. The other choice that would not be part of the Italian semi auto group would be the browning gold sporting clays. Which i found too heavy for walking miles behind my pointers. Nice at the range though. I don't even look at the Remingtons anymore unless its a gun for a flip.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Franchi Instinct is pretty good value for the money and would likely work with your budget and desire to buy 2 the same. Try one out before you spend your money.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:40 pm

I'd personally stick to the FN guns, Winchester/Browning.....

Parts made and available in the US !
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:38 am

I should give an update. I bought two Benellie Vinci's. I have shot a couple of rounds of skeet with mine and I love it. My son loves his also. I got the 3" model with a black synthetic stock. I would highly recommend the Indiana Gun Club to anyone looking for a new or used gun if you are within a reasonable distance.